The Forum Site - Join the conversation
Forums:
College Life

Should a Rich Kid Accept a College Scholarship?

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: << · 1 2 3 4 5
ministumblin On January 21, 2009

Deleted

#61New Post! Jan 08, 2009 @ 18:30:53
Look at it this way. My company pays me $x per year, to put my expertise in software licensing to work for them, instead of another company. My expertise makes them more than $x per year in revenues - I pay for myself and then some.

If I had refused the job, because I already had a good job, they would not seek out someone who was poor and hire them on that basis. If they could not find someone who could do my job adequately, they would hire no-one.

Same thing is true of sponsorships. You want to pay Joe Bloggs' (whose father is a millionaire) tuition bill of $100,000, because his athletic ability will put you into the top league, and earn you about $500,000 more over the course of his attendance. He pays for his scholarship, and then some. Joe Schmo (who's father is a janitor) has nothing to offer, he can't play sports, he's a straight B student, and basically offers nothing in return for his sponsorship beyond a warm glowy feeling. If Joe Bloggs refuses, Joe Schmo is not getting that scholarship. It's the choice between earning $400k and losing $100k.

Sponsorships designed to encourage low earners into college should not be offered, or taken, by high income families. Sponsorships based on a students ability to earn money for the college, or improve it's academic standing, should be offered to and accepted only by students with that ability. Regardless of income.

It's simple business, like it or not.
KrazyKatz On April 09, 2009

On the road again., California
#62New Post! Jan 08, 2009 @ 18:37:16
Only if they can't afford to pay, sigh.
bybee On March 11, 2009

Deleted

watertown, Minnesota
#63New Post! Jan 08, 2009 @ 19:34:11
@ministumblin Said

Look at it this way. My company pays me $x per year, to put my expertise in software licensing to work for them, instead of another company. My expertise makes them more than $x per year in revenues - I pay for myself and then some.

If I had refused the job, because I already had a good job, they would not seek out someone who was poor and hire them on that basis. If they could not find someone who could do my job adequately, they would hire no-one.

Same thing is true of sponsorships. You want to pay Joe Bloggs' (whose father is a millionaire) tuition bill of $100,000, because his athletic ability will put you into the top league, and earn you about $500,000 more over the course of his attendance. He pays for his scholarship, and then some. Joe Schmo (who's father is a janitor) has nothing to offer, he can't play sports, he's a straight B student, and basically offers nothing in return for his sponsorship beyond a warm glowy feeling. If Joe Bloggs refuses, Joe Schmo is not getting that scholarship. It's the choice between earning $400k and losing $100k.

Sponsorships designed to encourage low earners into college should not be offered, or taken, by high income families. Sponsorships based on a students ability to earn money for the college, or improve it's academic standing, should be offered to and accepted only by students with that ability. Regardless of income.

It's simple business, like it or not.

Well then, perhaps the college could sell drugs? Offer scholarships to really good looking young women and pimp them to the rich Alumni? Good God! Think of the possibilities...If money is your bottom line what is your price tag? bybee

Deleted

#64New Post! Jan 08, 2009 @ 19:44:19
@bybee Said

Well then, perhaps the college could sell drugs? Offer scholarships to really good looking young women and pimp them to the rich Alumni? Good God! Think of the possibilities...If money is your bottom line what is your price tag? bybee

Universities are businesses. Never forget that. They must procure funding to continue operating, and they will do so within their core competencies - academics and sports. Your example is ridiculous in the extreme, and barely deserves an answer.

The point is that the scholarships are available to people that meet certain criteria. If they are refused they will not automatically default to other people.

Most universities have financial aid and hardship funds. Monies that have been designated as 'charity' - to be given away without hope of return. These monies are seen as costs.

Other sponsorships are investments. These sponsorships attract talent which earns revenue. Therefore are not costs, not money simply lost. If you re-allocate these funds to poor students who do not meet the criteria they become costs instead of investments and the university suffers. Of course, if a poor student is genuinely the best choice for the scholarship, and brings the revenue earning potential that is sought, they should be granted the scholarship over a less able student.

Like it or not, ability often resides more within rich people, since parents could invest in their training. Without the scholarship system, many universities would not be able to attract this talent. They would lose sources of funding, and all students would suffer, rich and poor alike.
bybee On March 11, 2009

Deleted

watertown, Minnesota
#65New Post! Jan 09, 2009 @ 03:46:07
@ministumblin Said

Universities are businesses. Never forget that. They must procure funding to continue operating, and they will do so within their core competencies - academics and sports. Your example is ridiculous in the extreme, and barely deserves an answer.

The point is that the scholarships are available to people that meet certain criteria. If they are refused they will not automatically default to other people.

Most universities have financial aid and hardship funds. Monies that have been designated as 'charity' - to be given away without hope of return. These monies are seen as costs.

Other sponsorships are investments. These sponsorships attract talent which earns revenue. Therefore are not costs, not money simply lost. If you re-allocate these funds to poor students who do not meet the criteria they become costs instead of investments and the university suffers. Of course, if a poor student is genuinely the best choice for the scholarship, and brings the revenue earning potential that is sought, they should be granted the scholarship over a less able student.

Like it or not, ability often resides more within rich people, since parents could invest in their training. Without the scholarship system, many universities would not be able to attract this talent. They would lose sources of funding, and all students would suffer, rich and poor alike.

MY comments were deliberately assinine for a purpose. As you so aptly stated the university is a business. Apparently there is no way around that. I was referencing the athletic scholarships to persons without the mental capacity to learn at the university level but do have gladiatorial skills. It seems a contradiction. What are the goals of institutes of higher learning? To educate a broad spectrum of persons so they may contribute to society? AND, apparently, to employ any means to keep their doors open? You win. bybee
jonnythan On August 02, 2014
Bringer of rad mirth

Deleted

Here and there,
#66New Post! Jan 09, 2009 @ 03:52:04
@bybee Said
What are the goals of institutes of higher learning?

That varies by institution.

Most universities have explicitly stated goals, and they're not hard to find. So you don't really need to ask or guess.

Deleted

#67New Post! Jan 09, 2009 @ 13:28:45
@bybee Said

MY comments were deliberately assinine for a purpose. As you so aptly stated the university is a business. Apparently there is no way around that. I was referencing the athletic scholarships to persons without the mental capacity to learn at the university level but do have gladiatorial skills. It seems a contradiction. What are the goals of institutes of higher learning? To educate a broad spectrum of persons so they may contribute to society? AND, apparently, to employ any means to keep their doors open? You win. bybee

There is one thing that I think we do agree on. Any sponsorship should (and I believe generally does) come with academic requirements. A star sports-person shouldn't be allowed to coast academically. For their own good, if nothing else.
bybee On March 11, 2009

Deleted

watertown, Minnesota
#68New Post! Jan 09, 2009 @ 13:37:18
@ministumblin Said

There is one thing that I think we do agree on. Any sponsorship should (and I believe generally does) come with academic requirements. A star sports-person shouldn't be allowed to coast academically. For their own good, if nothing else.

Agreed! I believe good standards are set by institutes of higher learning.Slippage tends to occur in the interpretation of standards by some whose agendas are personal. I guess that would be a form of "situation ethics" in practice. peace bybee
imhotep On November 18, 2009

St Dogmaels, United Kingdom
#69New Post! Jan 11, 2009 @ 20:06:27
greedy f***er, still it's not likely pampered rich kid is going to be good at sports is it? If so why not say the same about the poor kid?
Free education for everyone end of.
Yet is it after all if you pay the school to pay the teacher to shove the way into the highest strata of the rich kids head then thats a head start for the rich kid.
the calculations of how to get a poor kid into the rankings of billionaires are endless.
face facts it's greed and if thats what you want start chasing the american dream.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: << · 1 2 3 4 5

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs