Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: << · 1 2
Wingsy On November 26, 2023
wingsdillialicious!

Wingsville,
#16New Post! May 23, 2008 @ 12:40:36
@wynston Said
Well you are a woman!!!! gasp sexist comment alert!!!

???

That wasn't very nice!

I'll accept you hug though
wynston On March 21, 2014

Swansea, United Kingdom
#17New Post! May 23, 2008 @ 12:50:25
@wingsy Said
That wasn't very nice!

I'll accept you hug though

Thank God you accepted the hug, I would have begged!!
Wingsy On November 26, 2023
wingsdillialicious!

Wingsville,
#18New Post! May 23, 2008 @ 12:51:57
@wynston Said
Thank God you accepted the hug, I would have begged!!

No need to beg. I'm a sucker for hugs
Chrill On August 01, 2022
Gesundheit

Järfälla, Sweden
#19New Post! May 23, 2008 @ 12:52:25
Soccer... That's like me calling basketball.. Fokker?
kevbev On May 12, 2010

London, United Kingdom
#20New Post! May 23, 2008 @ 13:19:15
enough people I know from Aus call it Soccer. I have to correct them its gosh darn football!!!!! sort it out!
jmo On April 29, 2021
Beruset af Julebryg

Yorkshire, United Kingdom
#21New Post! May 23, 2008 @ 14:32:12
I know Aussies who call it football, but those are the ones who actually go to Melbourne victory games. They differentiate it from Aussie rules by calling that Footy.
momof2 On November 09, 2008

Deleted

Craziest looney bin, Louisiana
#22New Post! May 23, 2008 @ 14:33:48
Football for sure!!!! LSU TIGERS!!!!!!
sillygoosey On July 23, 2009

Full of Hope,
#23New Post! May 23, 2008 @ 14:36:02
I use both
friedchicken13 On September 28, 2011

Philadephia, Pennsylvania
#24New Post! Jun 25, 2008 @ 15:05:53
Football all the way it`s not fun watching people kicking a ball to me it`s un excting it`s wierd to me
basha On June 14, 2012

Somewhere YOU wanna be!!, Unit
#25New Post! Jul 17, 2008 @ 08:33:27
Footie!
shadowen On March 22, 2024

Bunyip Bend, Australia
#27New Post! Jul 14, 2017 @ 16:42:30
@kevbev

"enough people I know from Aus call it Soccer. I have to correct them its gosh darn football!!!!! sort it out!"

For the vast majority of Aussies Association football will ALWAYS be known as soccer, and no pom or other outsider is going to change that!!!
------------------------------------------------------------------------
In Australia Association football(AF) is WELL BEHIND Australian Rules Football and Rugby League re popularity. In Australia (outside of NSW and QLD) Aussie Rules (usually referred to as "footy" but sometimes as "football" ) completely dominates. Therefore, unless you know you are talking to a fellow AF fan then referring to the sport as 'football' just leads to confusion. In NSW and QLD League (often referred to as "football/footy" dominates, so again, for ease of communication AF is referred to as soccer.

Bit of trivia - the laws of Association football were first codified in 1863. The laws for Australian Rules Football were first codified in 1859.
Jennifer1984 On July 20, 2022
Returner and proud

Penzance, United Kingdom
#28New Post! Jul 14, 2017 @ 17:21:56
@shadowen Said

@kevbev

"enough people I know from Aus call it Soccer. I have to correct them its gosh darn football!!!!! sort it out!"

For the vast majority of Aussies Association football will ALWAYS be known as soccer, and no pom or other outsider is going to change that!!!
------------------------------------------------------------------------
In Australia Association football(AF) is WELL BEHIND Australian Rules Football and Rugby League re popularity. In Australia (outside of NSW and QLD) Aussie Rules (usually referred to as "footy" but sometimes as "football" ) completely dominates. Therefore, unless you know you are talking to a fellow AF fan then referring to the sport as 'football' just leads to confusion. In NSW and QLD League (often referred to as "football/footy" dominates, so again, for ease of communication AF is referred to as soccer.

Bit of trivia - the laws of Association football were first codified in 1863. The laws for Australian Rules Football were first codified in 1859.

The Football Association ADOPTED the laws of football and ADAPTED them into the game we know today in 1863, however, they adapted them from a codified game which embodied dribbling with the ball by the foot, throw ins, passing the ball forward and propelling it into a goal which had been in existence for many years at Cambridge University and was formally codified by the University as "Cambridge Rules Football" in 1848.

The FA took the Cambridge Rules and included such elements as corner kicks and free kicks for foul play from a variant of the Cambridge Rules played in Sheffield (and known as the Sheffield Rules) from 1857. Sheffield FC, the world's first and oldest football club was founded in 1857 and has been given special status by FIFA in recognition of this fact.

But football in one form or anther was being played in England long before that.

The Halmote Rolls of Durham contain entries dated 1366 that "householders should chastise their servants who had been accustomed to play at the foot ball game."

Football became forbidden, and with good reason. Matches between villages became bloodbaths and vendettas were frequent. One monastic chronicler wrote: " The game at which they play is called by some the foot ball game. It is one by which young men in country sport propel a huge ball not by throwing it into the air but by striking and rolling it along the ground and that not with their hands but with their feet. A game I say abominable enough and in my judgment at least more common, undignified and worthless than any other kind of game, it rarely ending but with some loss, accident or disadvantage to the players themselves."

The king himself declared football outlaw at this time due to the fact that men were playing the game instead of practicing archery which was necessary for national defence.

Football being played in Derby circa 1500

Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: << · 1 2

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs