forced marriage whats your views

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: << · 1 2 3
pq On December 03, 2011

Deleted

Gainesville, Florida
#31New Post! Aug 05, 2008 @ 03:36:05
Marrying for love is more or less a 20th century. (The concept of childhood is also a 20th century creation.) Before the 20th century, marrying for love was a real fairytale. People dreamed of one day marrying someone they mutually loved but that rarely happened. For the most part, people married for money and/or status. Women especially tried their hardest to marry up.

The interesting thing about arranged marriages is that they actually have a lower divorce rate than people marry for love.

Arranged marriages aren't the horrid thing that most Westerners believe (mainly because most Westerners have an individualist spirit). The potential couple do meet and interact with each other in most cases. And they are asked if they interested in marrying said person. Dishonor to the family would usually come if one of the people decided to back out of the marriage after they had agreed to marry the person. It would show that the family was dishonest because the opposing family would have to give some sort of good or service to the other family as a wedding gift that could not be given back. If the wedding was cancelled, the goods or service would be lost and therefore being the family a long-time enemy.
riggs On September 17, 2008

Santa Monica,
#32New Post! Aug 05, 2008 @ 03:40:13
You shouldn't force yourself on anyone. Forcing someone to get married is like forcing someone to love you, have sex, and live with you against their will. This is so wrong.
2pintsplease On April 26, 2009

Westy :D, New Zealand
#33New Post! Aug 05, 2008 @ 03:52:07
@springshowers Said
Marriages based on love have worked out so well that I don't see the need for arranged ones.

Really? then why are divorce rates higher now than ever in the past? I'm not a fan of the arranged marriage concept, but it does have its advantages. For one, the marriage isn't going to be a frivolous decision by an amorous couple who go on to find that the spark fades quickly, it isn't going to be a case of some deluded (albeit horny) old bloke losing everything to a gold digger, and the families will be of a similar status - ie compatible - who in the western world doesn't have some hated white-trash in-laws? The other important thing is that with all the divorces occurring, it is seriously disrupting children's upbringings and the values they learn.
_poison_ On November 01, 2008

Melbourne, Australia
#34New Post! Aug 08, 2008 @ 12:42:23
My cousin was forced into a marriage. But she accepts it. I don't. I told her to divorce him if she wants to, but she said no. She said that her children will live better off then she did.

You have to look at the pros and cons of it before you judge it.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: << · 1 2 3

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs