Forums: Science:
Psychology

Sight

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
annski729 On July 24, 2016

, United States (general)
#1New Post! Sep 23, 2005 @ 19:48:19
Figured I'd start using this forum now that I'm taking psych in school. Really enjoying it But there aren't a lot of posts here, and it's a cool subject so it deserves some more!

So today, we did an experiment during psychology class. Four people were sent out of the classroom in groups of two. In that group, one person was blind folded, and was told to find their way down to the cafeteria and buy something from the vending machines. The second person was the guide, to make sure they didn't walk into walls or fall down stairs or something. All the guide could do was warn for any dangers.

My friend and I volunteered to go. She was blind folded and I guided her. It was so funny. We were walking past classrooms and heads were turning like, "Why is that chick blind folded?!"

She had a really difficult time with it at first. She felt along the walls but walked right past the stairs. We ended up taking a really long route, but she eventually made it downstairs to the vending machines and ended up with a nice can of Snapple Ice Tea. She seemed to get a lot better at navigating as she went along. Her other senses kicked in. For example, she could hear people talking in the cafeteria and smell the cookies baking. The girl in the other group cheated!

I think I'm going to try it again next week, except I'll be blindfolded this time. I think it'll be cool.
El_Tino On October 12, 2023
booyaka!

Albuquerque, New Mexico
#2New Post! Sep 23, 2005 @ 19:51:46
haaha cool.

We just had the intro students pick a 'non-conforming' behavior that they had to do in different situations. LIke this one girl dressed up as a mime and started dancing in the middle of the mall. This other girl dressed up in a bee outfit and went to a cafe. This one girl got a fart noise contraption and went to wal mart and bought some gas relief pills and set off the fart machine while she was waiting in line

Psyhology is fun.

#3New Post! Sep 23, 2005 @ 19:52:23
@el_tino Said
haaha cool.

We just had the intro students pick a 'non-conforming' behavior that they had to do in different situations. LIke this one girl dressed up as a mime and started dancing in the middle of the mall. This other girl dressed up in a bee outfit and went to a cafe. This one girl got a fart noise contraption and went to wal mart and bought some gas relief pills and set off the fart machine while she was waiting in line

Psyhology is fun.

Yes it is!
exgirlfriend On May 22, 2006

Kansas City, Missouri
#4New Post! Sep 23, 2005 @ 19:52:32
My pysch. teacher in highschool tried to hypnotize us once. That was.... fun.

#5New Post! Sep 23, 2005 @ 19:56:38
@exgirlfriend Said
My pysch. teacher in highschool tried to hypnotize us once. That was.... fun.

Last week my teacher made us close our eyes, hold out our hands, palm up, and press and hold the fleshy area under our thumbs for 60 seconds. He told us that it had been proven to trigger something in your brain that caused you to become alert and aware of things. "Wake you up" so to speak.

Of course, it didn't really work. He was just demonstrating the placebo effect! Half the class fell for it. I sort of fell for it, because he did a really good job making it sound real, much better than I did. I actually did think I felt a sudden jolt of a new feeling. I don't think it was energy, but I definitely felt something. Then when I opened my eyes I wondered whether he was just kidding or not. When he explained to us what he did, I felt like an idiot. But I really did feel something. I don't know what it was, but it was something.
Erlend On July 29, 2009

Deleted

Troms?, Norway
#6New Post! Sep 23, 2005 @ 20:16:30
@annski729 Said
So today, we did an experiment during psychology class. Four people were sent out of the classroom in groups of two. In that group, one person was blind folded, and was told to find their way down to the cafeteria and buy something from the vending machines. The second person was the guide, to make sure they didn't walk into walls or fall down stairs or something. All the guide could do was warn for any dangers.

I remember doing something like that in school a few years ago. I wasn't a very good blind person, but at least I scored a 2-pointer with a basketball (or at least that's what my friend/guide told me). I'm taking psych this year as well, but we're just talking about family & friends. Boring!
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs