Forums: Science:
Sociology

Cultural studies (Culture as praxis)

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
anderson_p On February 14, 2008

Tbis, Norway
#1New Post! Feb 01, 2008 @ 18:21:07
Hi everyone, i'm new to this forum. I've joined this community because I've seeked for help everywhere and this is my last resort. I'm a design student taking a course in cultural studies. We are in the process of reading a text by Zygmunt Bauman called "Culture as praxis". As a design student, i'm very interested to know what Bauman seems to be explaining in his book on culture as a concept. However, i'm still having trouble reading his text due to the amount of advanced vocabulary that is needed to fully comprehend the text and its contents... it seems as if previous sociological knowledge is needed in order to understand the concepts discussed in the text.

I was wondering if someone could help me out through this book and discuss a few subjects? I need some help with a few lines because I simply cannot understand what the author is trying to say in its entirety.

Thank you
hedkandi1984_21 On July 23, 2013

London, United Kingdom
#2New Post! Feb 01, 2008 @ 20:02:22
My advice, see if you can borrow a really good dictionary and a sociology dictionary. I'm a sociology student, but I'm not sure if I can help because I've never actually read the book.

I think one of the reasons why he describes culture as a concept is because it has more than one definition . . .there's culture in terms of the different morals and customs a society might have, but then people also refer to things like youth and gang culture, or describe people as being cultural if they're into things like art and the theatre. I would love to go into more detail, but I missed that lecture and I haven't had a chance to read up on it
anderson_p On February 14, 2008

Tbis, Norway
#3New Post! Feb 14, 2008 @ 06:45:14
Thanks
I tried but i still don't get it... im gonna see if my teacher is willing to explain to me these things in layman's terms :P
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs