Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: << · 1 2
shaggyjebus On August 26, 2008

Deleted

Goodlettsville, Tennessee
#16New Post! Sep 16, 2005 @ 00:31:07
@jwasafrog Said
I don't have a problem with people's opinions, and I do think the Bush administration did
horribly with Katrina. However, I do have a big problem with people taking "liberties" and
then calling their movie a documentary. To me, that is just disgusting.

But what is a documentary? They always have an angle. There is not a single documentary that does not leave out some things, that does not offer its own view more than another's.
jwasafrog On September 18, 2010

, California
#17New Post! Sep 16, 2005 @ 00:35:15
@shaggyjebus Said
But what is a documentary? They always have an angle. There is not a
single documentary that does not leave out some things, that does not offer its own view
more than another's.

A documentary has a responsibility to tell the truth. It's supposed to DOCUMENT what went
on, not manipulate the facts to fit someone's opinion.
shaggyjebus On August 26, 2008

Deleted

Goodlettsville, Tennessee
#18New Post! Sep 16, 2005 @ 01:00:23
@jwasafrog Said
A documentary has a responsibility to tell the truth. It's supposed to DOCUMENT what went
on, not manipulate the facts to fit someone's opinion.

Well, every person percieves things differently, and based on their perceptions, they make judgements and assumptions about the situation. No human can see the truth simply for what it is without having some sort of angle on it. Thus, since humans make documentaries, there is the person's angles. The only way to document the entire truth about an event is to study the event firsthand - look through all the paperwork, question the people involved, think seriously and for a very long time about patterns and how things happened. People who make documentaries do that, and some may seem more slanted than others, and some may be one-sided, but none of them are really the truth. Documentation, just telling the truth, is writing what everyone said and everything that happened, with no perspective whatsoever. Therefore, unless it is without an author, it cannot be done. If someone says something after the fact, then it is opinion and not the clear "truth."
jwasafrog On September 18, 2010

, California
#19New Post! Sep 16, 2005 @ 02:11:44
@shaggyjebus Said
Well, every person percieves things differently, and based on their
perceptions, they make judgements and assumptions about the situation. No human can see
the truth simply for what it is without having some sort of angle on it. Thus, since humans
make documentaries, there is the person's angles. The only way to document the entire truth
about an event is to study the event firsthand - look through all the paperwork, question the
people involved, think seriously and for a very long time about patterns and how things
happened. People who make documentaries do that, and some may seem more slanted than
others, and some may be one-sided, but none of them are really the truth.
Documentation, just telling the truth, is writing what everyone said and everything that
happened, with no perspective whatsoever. Therefore, unless it is without an author, it
cannot be done. If someone says something after the fact, then it is opinion and not the clear
"truth."

I can agree with that. It's part of our human nature, but I think when it goes to the extent of
creating false newspapers and doctoring people's conversations it goes beyond just a slant
and turns into propaganda and lies.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: << · 1 2

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Politics Forum - Some Rudeness Allowed

Subscribe to topic prefs