Religion & Philosophy

Why Do People Hate Religion?

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: << · 1 2 3 ...5 6 7
thatoneguy On March 21, 2008

Ventura, California
#91New Post! Dec 26, 2007 @ 20:46:28
Religion is a prison and was created to be one. It basically preaches to you that you can't think for yourself, you have no control over your life, and you have no control over situations by using the term "it was an act of god"

You don't need religion to be a moral and ethical person.

example: me. I cant stand religion how it brainwashes people, yet i am the most forgiving and friendly person. I love everyone and i am grateful for what i have. yes i believe in a creator, call it what you wish, god, the infinite mind, the source, or whatever.

religion is causing or i should say being used to casue all the wars, they say "we must fight evil and in god we trust" bull s***, my god doesn't fight wars. my god is peace and prosperity.

has anyone watched zeitgeistmovie.com
shadowy On March 20, 2014

Glasgow, United Kingdom
#92New Post! Dec 27, 2007 @ 14:01:45
@treetopflyer Said
because you might want to explore and understand the meaning of the word random.

I understand the meaning of random and it still didn't contradict what i said in the previous post.

shadowy On March 20, 2014

Glasgow, United Kingdom
#93New Post! Dec 27, 2007 @ 14:07:09
@lea_doll Said
The definition of science is the search of truth. Searching to find truth in religion is science therefore.
The world around us is evidence of His existance. Can a clock make itself? How much more complex we are than a clock and yet you want to believe we just happen to be?

Complexity is not a good arguement for god. Religion says that god only created the first 2 humans, the rest were created by a very simple act i'm sure some of you have taken part in. Complexity can come from simplicity without god or is god there with his life spark everytime a child is concieved?
gaelicheart On December 10, 2008

KANSAS CITY,
#94New Post! Dec 27, 2007 @ 14:09:23
I am a Christian,(Christian as a name because there isnt another way to call it)because I choose to be. I dont like religion at all. I turn from anything religious. I choose to have a relationship instead of religion.
Man-made religion has caused more trouble than it has been worth.
bashstkid On November 26, 2008

Deleted

Swansea, United Kingdom
#95New Post! Jan 03, 2008 @ 11:54:50
People don't hate religion, they hate the people who use religion for their own ends. Sometimes causing wars.
tanto89 On January 08, 2008

portland, Oregon
#96New Post! Jan 07, 2008 @ 12:09:06
This is alway a very interesting topic so i thought i throw my ideas out there.

First off i am very religious. I believe in God with all my heart.

I think a lot of people dont like religion because of the close minded religious people who take everything in the bible for its literal meaning. A lot of the old testament was written in poetic form. You are suppose to look for the deeper meaning not just what you take in by reading the passages once. These are the people who refuse everything that science tells them.

I believe that God put systems in place that make our world work. If you would have asked people what made the apple fall from the tree before Newton came along the church would have said God works in mysterious ways. Newton worked and discovered the system God put in place for the mechanics of this world.

If you deny micro evolution you are an idiot. You can see that in the world easily.

A lot of christians believe the earth is about 6000 years old. If you believe in God and what he can do you would know that God is not bound by time. The first part of Genesis is written in a poetic form and is not necessarily meant to be taken literally. The earth very well could be 4.5 billion years old.

Also the bible says that God created everything. It doesn't say exactly how he created everything. "And God said, 'Let the land produce living creatures according to their kinds: livestock, creatures that move along the ground, and wild animals, each according to its kind.' God Made the wild animals according to their kinds, the livestock according to their kinds, and all the creatures that move along the ground according to their kinds. And God saw that it was good." Genesis 24,25. It doesn't say the exact process that God used to create the creatures. It very well could have been an evolutionary process. When God spoke the words creatures could have came out of the started walking on land and changing. Evolution could be us figuring out a little more of how God created the universe, just like newton figured out physics.

My thoughts are kinda random, but i think science and religion could work together. Most people just dont want them to.
buffalobill90 On July 12, 2013