Politics

gay marriage in california

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: << · 1 2 3
sandrarichards On April 27, 2006

Deleted

#31New Post! Sep 02, 2005 @ 18:33:14
Fab long post, lol but I'm an oncology scientist, so I know all ready about gene expression 8)

But the post has no reference to sexual orientation and environmental factors affecting this ?

Points whore lol

I think I post my thesis, it has about as much relevance as yours lol
arcades On August 08, 2013

Northbay, Canada
#32New Post! Sep 02, 2005 @ 18:35:42
Also this

The trumpets were left at home and the parades were canceled. The press releases and campaign signs were quietly forgotten. The news was big, but it did not contain what some had hoped for. On April 14, 2003, the International Human Genome Consortium announced the successful completion of the Human Genome Project—two years ahead of schedule. The press report read: “The human genome is complete and the Human Genome Project is over” (see “Human Genome Report...,” 2003, emp. added). Most of the major science journals reported on the progress in the field of genetics, but also speculated on how the information would now be used. The one piece of information that never materialized from the Human Genome Project was the identification of the so-called “gay gene.”
Homosexuality has been practiced for thousands of years. Simply put, homosexuality is defined as sexual relations between like genders (i.e., two males or two females). It was Sigmund Freud who first postulated that parental relationships with a child ultimately determine the youngster’s sexual orientation. But this “nurturing” aspect has effectively given way to the “nature” side of the equation. Can some behaviors (e.g., alcoholism, homosexuality, schizophrenia) be explained by genetics? Are these and other behaviors influenced by nature or by nurture? Are they inborn or learned? Some individuals believed that the answer would be found hiding amidst the chromosomes analyzed in the Human Genome Project.

The human X and Y chromosomes (the two “sex” chromosomes) have been completely sequenced. Thanks to work carried out by labs all across the globe, we know that the X chromosome contains 153 million base pairs, and harbors a total of 1168 genes (see NCBI, 2004). The National Center for Biotechnology Information reports that the Y chromosome—which is much smaller—contains “only” 50 million base pairs, and is estimated to contain a mere 251 genes. Educational institutions such as Baylor University, the Max Planck Institute, the Sanger Institute, Washington University in St. Louis, and others have spent countless hours and millions of research dollars analyzing these unique chromosomes. As the data began to pour in, they allowed scientists to construct gene maps—using actual sequences from the Human Genome Project. And yet, neither the map for the X nor the Y chromosome contains any “gay gene.”

What is the truth regarding homosexuality? Too often, speculation, emotions, and politics play a major role in its assessment. The following is a scientific investigation of human homosexuality.

https://www.trueorigin.org/gaygene01.asp

Deleted

#33New Post! Sep 02, 2005 @ 18:41:12
Interestin certianly, but the journals i have read have declared the gene to be identified lol
arcades On August 08, 2013

Northbay, Canada
#34New Post! Sep 02, 2005 @ 18:50:19
hmm well im not saying im 100% right if im wrong ill certaily except it but im confused as to how a gay gene would work? is there one for bisexuals lol hell maby its half gene and half psychology and were both right.

Deleted

#35New Post! Sep 02, 2005 @ 18:56:39
@arcades Said
hmm well im not saying im 100% right if im wrong ill certaily except it but im confused as to how a gay gene would work? is there one for bisexuals lol hell maby its half gene and half psychology and were both right.

Well I guess it must be in there somewhere..ppl dont choose whether or not be be gay IMO. I'll see if I can find out the exact loco on the chromosome from one the of the guys at work,better still I'll google it

I found this from the BBC site..https://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/4215427.stm

Much of the past genetic research into male homosexuality had focused solely on the X chromosome, passed down to boys by their mother, according to lead researcher Dr Brian Mustanski.

His team looked at all 22 pairs of non-sex chromosomes of 456 individuals from 146 families with two or more gay brothers.

They found several identical stretches of DNA that were shared among gay siblings on chromosomes other than the female X.

About 60% of these brothers shared identical DNA on three chromosomes - chromosome 7, 8 and 10.

If it were down to chance, only 50% of these stretches would be shared, said the authors.

The region found on chromosome 10 correlated with sexual orientation only when it was inherited from the mother.

Interesting stuff anyway
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: << · 1 2 3

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Politics Forum - Some Rudeness Allowed

Subscribe to topic prefs