Environment

Carbon Output Rising Faster Than Forecast, says studyI

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
hedkandi1984_21 On July 23, 2013

London, United Kingdom
#1New Post! Oct 26, 2007 @ 18:57:47
Global warming "will come soon and be stronger"

I'm a bit behind in my newspaper reading, but I just rad in the Guardian (from Tuesday) that carbon emissions are rising much faster than expected and that we could feel reall strong effects within eight years.

In my house (I share with 5 other students) we all use energy saving bulbs, put out more recycling than rubbish, only use the heating in the evening and although we have a dryer and a dishwasher, we never use them. I think that we're doing alright in trying to protet the environment

I was just wondering, what is everyone doing to protect the environment? Do you wish you could do more or do you think the media and the government are just scaremongering? Your thoughts please
silenthunder On November 25, 2007

Halliburton, Texas
#2New Post! Oct 26, 2007 @ 19:13:20
Here's a "carbon footprint" calculator that may assist you in your efforts. Good on you for what you've done so far.

https://www.carbonfootprint.com/calculator.html

London, United Kingdom
#3New Post! Oct 26, 2007 @ 19:14:37
@silenthunder Said
Here's a "carbon footprint" calculator that may assist you in your efforts. Good on you for what you've done so far.

https://www.carbonfootprint.com/calculator.html

Thanks That's a really handy tool too. I'll send the link to my friends so they can see how well they're doing too.
silenthunder On November 25, 2007

Halliburton, Texas
#4New Post! Oct 26, 2007 @ 19:50:12
There strongly appears to be a definite need.

https://www.iht.com/articles/2007/10/25/europe/environ.php?page=1
Erlend On July 29, 2009

Deleted

Troms?, Norway
#5New Post! Oct 26, 2007 @ 19:55:03
@hedkandi1984_21 Said
I was just wondering, what is everyone doing to protect the environment? Do you wish you could do more or do you think the media and the government are just scaremongering? Your thoughts please

I guess my only contribution is that I don't drive a car. However, as with most of what people do in their lives, that's not a decision I made for the sake of the environment.
Vizzy On February 20, 2012

, Florida
#6New Post! Oct 26, 2007 @ 19:59:47
I'd like to believe I'm pro-environment (don't we all?), but the reality is I have no intention of doing anything drastic like not using my a/c. That being the case, how serious can I be? And I will most likely never hang my clothes out to dry. It's not even allowed where I live. And I probalby won't give up my car by choice either. Sigh.
jonnythan On August 02, 2014
Bringer of rad mirth

Deleted

Here and there,
#7New Post! Oct 26, 2007 @ 20:02:07
@vizzy Said
I'd like to believe I'm pro-environment (don't we all?), but the reality is I have no intention of doing anything drastic like not using my a/c. That being the case, how serious can I be? And I will most likely never hang my clothes out to dry. It's not even allowed where I live. And I probalby won't give up my car by choice either. Sigh.

Don't feel bad about that stuff.

IMO, it matters very, very, very little what regular people do to save energy. At the very best, all it would do is slightly prolong whatever is coming.

Changes will be forced on us via economics when they become necessary. We won't have a say in it. Prices for things will go up, some things will no longer be put on the market, etc.
Vizzy On February 20, 2012

, Florida
#8New Post! Oct 26, 2007 @ 20:04:03
I mean, I'll buy the right kind of lightbulbs and that kind of thing, but as far as REAL sacrafice, you're right Jon probably not until I have to.
Lili On July 12, 2019

Sunshine Land,
#9New Post! Oct 26, 2007 @ 20:05:52
I think most of the carbon comes from cars and manufacturing plants, isn't it?
Bringer of rad mirth

Deleted

Here and there,
#10New Post! Oct 26, 2007 @ 20:08:22
@lili Said
I think most of the carbon comes from cars and manufacturing plants, isn't it?

The single biggest source is coal-burning power plants. Automobiles is a relatively close second. Natural gas in all forms (power generation, residential, industrial) makes up a large portion of the remainder with industrial and residential petroleum (heating oil, that kinda thing) making up the rest.

Lili On July 12, 2019

Sunshine Land,
#11New Post! Oct 26, 2007 @ 20:11:55
I read in a science journal some people had figured out some way to make solar cells several times more effective. I'd love it if we could use solar power!
Bringer of rad mirth

Deleted

Here and there,
#12New Post! Oct 26, 2007 @ 20:15:09
Eventually we're going to figure out how to convert solar power directly into something useful, whether it's electricity, hydrogen, ethanol, whatever, as well as plants do right now.

So instead of having fields of corn and making ethanol out of it, or whatever, we can just have fields of solar generators churning out electricity or hydrogen or whatever, which can then be directly used. This would be extremely resource-neutral.

We're a long way off from replicating nature to that great an extent, but it will happen.
albion69 On October 27, 2007

Deleted

Huddersfield, United Kingdom
#13New Post! Oct 26, 2007 @ 20:18:14
"China is now building about two power stations every week, the top climate change official at the UK Foreign Office, John Ashton, has said. "

Suggest we all buy more powersaving lightbulbs

London, United Kingdom
#14New Post! Oct 26, 2007 @ 20:56:23
@vizzy Said

You don't need to hang your clothes out to dry! We don't. After all, we do live in England, probably the wettest country known to man. We use what are commonly referred to as "clothes horses". don;t ask me what the real name is. lol.

You don't have to give up your car. Just do the best you can with the resources available to you, like recycling.
grantnorvall On March 22, 2008

Chitengo Gorongosa National Pa
#15New Post! Mar 20, 2008 @ 09:47:34
Check out Al Gores documentatry 'Inconvenient Truth' I hope I got the title right. If everyone does a little it will help, but here in Africa we face problems that 'first worlders' find almost incomprehensible. Check out my forum, 'Organic Farming'
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs