Forums:
Society & Lifestyles

it is environment and opportunity that allow intelligence to thrive

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
wildething On February 04, 2008

, United Kingdom
#1New Post! Oct 20, 2007 @ 20:16:53
why do some young people do consistently badly at school?
why are young west indian males performing so badly in comparison to asian and chinese males?
this is not to do with race, it is to do with environment and opportunity.
children brought up in affluent homes with aspirational parents will almost always do well at school compared to children brought up in poorer homes with parents who do not encourage them to aspire to be well educated and so have a career rather than just a job.
asian, chinese, and middle eastern families are highly aspirational, therefore tend to be better educated with better jobs and encourage their children to do as well, if not better, than themselves.
and it is not only young west indian males who fare badly but young white males from impoverished backgrounds.
to point towards it being race orientated is deliberately ignoring all other important factors, and not only narrow minded but racist.
any other opinions on this?
El_Tino On October 12, 2023
booyaka!

Albuquerque, New Mexico
#2New Post! Oct 20, 2007 @ 20:33:49
Yeah I pretty much agree.
mollymalone On March 01, 2008

Deleted

Muff, Ireland
#3New Post! Oct 20, 2007 @ 20:38:55
@wildething Said

children brought up in affluent homes with aspirational parents will almost always do well at school compared to children brought up in poorer homes with parents who do not encourage them to aspire to be well educated and so have a career rather than just a job.

I dont agree with this personally.. As someone who works with children I firmly believe no matter what a child's environment is if they do not have the backing and encouragement of their parents then they will not proceed as well as those children who are lucky to have their parents 100% behind them.
wildething On February 04, 2008

, United Kingdom
#4New Post! Oct 20, 2007 @ 20:41:42
but in describing environment and opportunity i mentioned the parents encouragement as a vital component of the necessary environment needed to nurture intelligence, for aspirational parents are by definition parents who encourage their children.
ditzydoll On May 22, 2009

birmingham, United Kingdom
#5New Post! Oct 20, 2007 @ 20:44:26
@mollymalone Said
I dont agree with this personally.. As someone who works with children I firmly believe no matter what a child's environment is if they do not have the backing and encouragement of their parents then they will not proceed as well as those children who are lucky to have their parents 100% behind them.

i agree!
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs