Heaven/hell

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: << · 1 2
buffalobill90 On July 12, 2013
Powered by tea

Viaticum, United Kingdom
#16New Post! Oct 18, 2007 @ 18:50:38
Being an atheist is a position of faith. There is no certainty that God doesn't exist; however, one can be reasonably certain that religious perspectives are so flawed that any traditional view of God's nature is completely inaccurate. Agnosticism is the rational viewpoint to take.
shadowy On March 20, 2014

Glasgow, United Kingdom
#17New Post! Oct 18, 2007 @ 23:53:51
@buffalobill90 Said
Being an atheist is a position of faith. There is no certainty that God doesn't exist; however, one can be reasonably certain that religious perspectives are so flawed that any traditional view of God's nature is completely inaccurate. Agnosticism is the rational viewpoint to take.

Atheism doesn't require faith. All that atheism is is a lack of theism, it's the default position that everybody starts in because when your a baby you don't understand the theistic position and therefore are not a theist. Lack of a belief requires no faith.
shevanity On April 16, 2009

, Alaska
#18New Post! Oct 20, 2007 @ 03:35:43
@frederick Said
You don't like music? How about this then, for hard graft?

Revelations ct 4 vs 8 - 11 inc.
The four living creatures each having six wings were full of eyes around and within. (No privacy there) And they did not rest, day or night, sayin "Holy, Holy, Holy, Lord God Almighty, who was, and is, and is to come!" (Twenty-four hours a day, no tea breaks, no lunch, no going home at the end of the working day - trade unions would have a field day! However, let's plough on.) Whenever the living creatures gave glory and honour and thanks to Him who sits on the throne, who lives forever and ever, the twenty-four elders fall down before Him who sits on the throne and worship Him who lives forever and ever, and cast their crowns before the throne, saying;
"You are worthy, O, Lord, to receiver glory, and honour and power, for You created all things, and by your will they exist and were created." (Know thy place!)

Imagine having to to that all day, every day, without even a five minute break to stretch your legs! A touch repetitious, and vain even.

Thats hilarious and oh so true!

shevanity On April 16, 2009

, Alaska
#19New Post! Oct 20, 2007 @ 03:39:27
@shadowy Said
I would rather go to hell and burn in eternal damnation with my fellow athiests on this board than spend 30 seconds out of eternity talking with the nutty christians from these forums

Yeah it is really sad even though they promise us a happy ever after...**shrugs**
Powered by tea

Viaticum, United Kingdom
#20New Post! Oct 20, 2007 @ 19:05:59
@shadowy Said
Atheism doesn't require faith. All that atheism is is a lack of theism, it's the default position that everybody starts in because when your a baby you don't understand the theistic position and therefore are not a theist. Lack of a belief requires no faith.

The 'default' religious viewpoint of an individual, if taken as the one held by newly conscious babies, it that of agnostic apathy; being indifferent to whether or not God exists. Atheism is not the only other viewpoint from theism: there is also agnosticism, literally 'not knowing'. Atheism and theism are both at the extremes, both a matter of being certain without any proof, therefore they are both positions of faith.

Do not mistake atheism for just meaning you don't believe any religion is correct, it means you are absolutely certain there is no God. I believe all world religions are incorrect, but I have no certainty about the existence or absence of God. I am an agnostic.
wildething On February 04, 2008

, United Kingdom
#21New Post! Oct 20, 2007 @ 19:13:41
its funny i never call myself an atheist because it isn't relevant to me. i never have to think about being an atheist because it doesn't require any particular ritual or practice.
i just am.
as for heaven and hell i like john lennon's descrtiption of it in the song 'imagine' -
'imagine no religion, it's easy if you try,
no hell below us,
above us only sky.'
and funnily enough that song has been voted number one song for representing peace over all religious hymns.
but then i am just mad about lennon!
shadowy On March 20, 2014

Glasgow, United Kingdom
#22New Post! Oct 21, 2007 @ 10:52:18
@buffalobill90 Said
The 'default' religious viewpoint of an individual, if taken as the one held by newly conscious babies, it that of agnostic apathy; being indifferent to whether or not God exists. Atheism is not the only other viewpoint from theism: there is also agnosticism, literally 'not knowing'. Atheism and theism are both at the extremes, both a matter of being certain without any proof, therefore they are both positions of faith.

Do not mistake atheism for just meaning you don't believe any religion is correct, it means you are absolutely certain there is no God. I believe all world religions are incorrect, but I have no certainty about the existence or absence of God. I am an agnostic.

A newly born baby would believe that no god exists because the idea that god exists has not been introduced to it. People who have never heard of god don't believe in god, they are not indifferent as this would require that they have knowledge of the thing they are indifferent to.

Atheism is the lack of theism, you do not have to believe for certain that god does not exist. There are two main types of athiest, you can be a weak or strong athiest. Weak atheists is the version i described above.

I would prefer to reserve my right to self-definition and not be told what i do or do not believe. I would also prefer not to be told i require faith by someone who has obviously not looked very far into atheism and the different types. Your idea of needing faith makes it much easier for theists to claim falsely that atheism is no more scientific in nature than sacrificing goats.
lunadancer On March 11, 2009

B F E, Kentucky
#23New Post! Oct 23, 2007 @ 23:59:32
Don't worry there is no heaven and hell. We make are heaven or hell here on earth, then we get to do it again in the next lifetime! Yeah! ! ! (silently weeping)