Forums: Politics:
Animal Rights

Animals have no moral status

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: << · 1 2 3 ...7 8 9
mmmm On June 01, 2008

#121New Post! Apr 24, 2008 @ 05:14:45
i'm confused, is this thread suggesting that there's scientific evidence that my dogs don't have consciousness? i'm usually science all the way but i don't buy that. my dogs fake happiness, sadness, and anger? when i come home and they jump up with exictment wagging they're tails, that's fake? they can't really feel pain? so my dog with arthritis is faking when she limps around in pain? i just don't buy it.
vaboom On July 29, 2009

Oakland,
#122New Post! Apr 24, 2008 @ 15:40:18
@buffalobill90 Said
Your point about unconscious suffering didn't really make sense to me. Are you saying that we experience conscious pain, while unconscious? I apologise if my definition of suffering has not been very clear. I'll reiterate:

Pain itself, whether emotional or physical, may not cause someone to suffer. Someone can benefit from pain; for example, they may be entertained by a movie that is very sad or has disgusting imagery - they may feel upset or uncomfortable when watching it, but they enjoy it nonetheless. They have not suffered. However, if someone experiences pain which has no benefit to them, and it is simply an indicator of real damage, they have suffered. Someone can not experience pain when they are not conscious, that's how a general anaesthetic works. So if something is not conscious, it can not suffer and therefore does not need respect. Since only humans and a small number of other animals appear to be conscious, they are the only organisms which deserve respect.

I am also aware that the mirror test is not the only indication of conscious awareness. There are other indicators in baheviour, and I will list a few: creativity; altruism; technology; language; art; empathy etc. These traits are all possessed by humans, and are not possible without the capability of conscious thought. Some other species also display one or more of these traits, and therefore are alos likely to be conscious. However, the vast majority of organisms do not.

You are mistaken in thinking that humans have "developed far more than any other animals". We have been evolving for exactly the same amount of time as every other species on Earth. Evolution is not a progressive, heirarchical process (although it does follow certain patterns). It is aimless and largely unpredictable.

Your last point is confusing. Why does the ability to seek out resources and mates require conscious thought? And why is a brain in itself enough to sustain consciousness? Do you think, then, that insects are conscious, since they possess central nervous systems? If so, do you approve of the use of pesticides, which are essential for providing sufficient food for billions of humans? Animals also act 'automatically', like plants and microbes. However, they are more complex and unpredictable. This does not mean we should assign them consciousness in order to explain their relatively simple behaviour.

Its useless to try to debate with you.
All you do is keep saying the same thing over and over...
All I can say is I KNOW that animals are conscious.
... and they DO have morals.
Good bye.
amish On July 29, 2008

#123New Post! Apr 24, 2008 @ 19:00:35
@vaboom Said
Its useless to try to debate with you.
All you do is keep saying the same thing over and over...

yeah he ignores what everyone else says, based on presuming his logic to be more logical. after all, our feelings make us less logical, so he doesn't even need to address the things we say, he can just restate his own until we figure it out.

i call it "argumentum ad cogito ergo qed" fallacy, or "i think, therefore, qed."

because everyone that disagrees with him just misunderstands logic and science, naturally. he's won by using "science," and if we refute any part of his argument it's because we made a mistake, and he can just keep correcting us. fun! but he will probably outgrow this, someday. it's most common in people under 20 for some reason.
amish On July 29, 2008

#125New Post! May 01, 2008 @ 04:19:44
he's no worse than the right wing nazi s***s that come here to b**** about the inferiority of black people though.

honestly i think i'm done with this forum. it's just too nice and touchy feely to all the ignorant pieces of inbred s*** that nest in the racism and politics forums.
calonso On January 16, 2014

Orlando, Florida
#126New Post! May 01, 2008 @ 19:53:36
Bill! I knew it had to be you posting something like this

Well, what I think about this is that there is definitely different states of conciousness and that humans are special because they go through many different states in their lifetime. Are animals self aware? perhaps not but that is because it may be necessary for them not to be, for example, honey bees. A hive cannot afford any of them to be lazy, individual, or fighting amongst themselves, but in their state of conciousness, they provide the planet as well as the other earth inhabitants a great service and they should be respected as such.
If we scientifically find that a being is not self aware it is a discovery. But to then say that because they are not self aware then it's ok to yada yada... is a human conclusion that has often proved to be the downfall of humanity.
Even if they can't feel pain (which I highly doubt) it is still wrong to entertain ourselves with their demise because the action itself is immorral. Fighting dogs to the death is wrong, it is in a sense a sadistic pleasure.
But, so that our concious (inner moral voice) wont bother us, we say that they really can't feel pain. It is not a fact and there is no evidence for it no matter what your little mirror test shows you.

This whole topic reminds me of the religious claim that animals don't have souls.
h20gerl On August 19, 2008

Islamorada, Florida
#127New Post! May 17, 2008 @ 03:12:26
@alexkidd Said
i basically just disagree.
for one, the mirror test in't 'sound science'
in the case of a hell of alot of animals they don't use the same primary senses as us, so it doesn't even apply to dogs who have poor vision in relation to their scent.

there's other reasons why its not sound, like the fact that alot of animals associate eye conact with agression so can't really do the test accuratly.

so basically you're judging the level of conciousnes of an animal....based on a test that only applies to human standards and their stero typical abilities.
which animals differ from greatly, and differ greatly from animal to animal.

children fail the mirror test untill they're about 2,
whats your opinion on them?

so thats complete bulls*** anyway.

i also draw a line at comparing an animal feeding to an immoral act by a person, its in no way comparable, with completly different motives.

as for animals having feelings, its clear to see they have basic feelings, they can grow attatched to somebody and miss them when they're gone, they can suffer mentally after traumatic experiences, thats surely an emotional response. they can get excited, angry, happy is an odd one since we don't clearly define it ourselves and so can't apply it.

animals of course are not the same as us, we have removed ourselves from the natural order. which puts us in a position of huge responsibility and consequence, our actions as a whole have more impact that any other creature in history.

Here, Here
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: << · 1 2 3 ...7 8 9

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Politics Forum - Some Rudeness Allowed

Subscribe to topic prefs