Racism

African American exclusive colleges and scholarships

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
albinorhino On September 19, 2007

Cornwall Bridge, Connecticut
#1New Post! Sep 19, 2007 @ 23:04:16
Heres something to ponder:
Can a White American Citizen with South African heritage be eligble for a African-American exclusive scholarship or college?
donna_j On January 29, 2008

Adelaide, Australia
#2New Post! Sep 19, 2007 @ 23:17:43
I doubt it.. a white American citizen having an African-American scholarship wouldn't really help Affirmative Action.
heidix On September 20, 2007

, Indiana
#3New Post! Sep 20, 2007 @ 20:05:02
Nah they can't
casezilla On September 24, 2007

Superior,
#4New Post! Sep 22, 2007 @ 15:33:56
No, not in todays modern world where the majority is treated with unfairness and prejudiced because of what our fathers did to their fathers. As it does not happen anymore, for neither of us, we should not do this again in the opposite way. There should be no recognition of black and white in politics at any time; with the exception of hate crimes and disallowing certain groups things being made illegal.

and yes, that should be illegal, they're disallowing white people this college tuition. We can't disallow black people from something like that.
alexkidd On February 07, 2012
Captain Awesome!

Deleted

in a bog, Ireland
#5New Post! Sep 22, 2007 @ 15:44:06
@cashzilla Said
No, not in today's modern world where the majority is treated with unfairness and prejudiced because of what our fathers did to their fathers. As it does not happen anymore, for neither of us, we should not do this again in the opposite way. There should be no recognition of black and white in politics at any time; with the exception of hate crimes and disallowing certain groups things being made illegal.

and yes, that should be illegal, they're disallowing white people this college tuition. We can't disallow black people from something like that.

due to what our fathers did to their fathers, as you say,
they are now as a whole on a lower level economically, socially and educationally.
it seems only fair to give some extra opportunities to help brige the gap and create a truely equal society.

just because we have all agreed that we are equal now on a moral level, certainly does not mean the the centuries of inequality instantly disappears, especially in economic terms.
it is something we are still working towards and these college grants are very productive towards that goal.
....as long as people look at the facts intelligently before deciding that they're a victim of something and get bitter.
buffalobill90 On July 12, 2013
Powered by tea

Viaticum, United Kingdom
#6New Post! Sep 23, 2007 @ 11:52:50
What, exactly, is an 'African-American exclusive college'?
Captain Awesome!

Deleted

in a bog, Ireland
#7New Post! Sep 23, 2007 @ 11:58:14
i don't think that exists
casezilla On September 24, 2007

Superior,
#8New Post! Sep 24, 2007 @ 22:28:06
@alexkidd Said
due to what our fathers did to their fathers, as you say,
they are now as a whole on a lower level economically, socially and educationally.
it seems only fair to give some extra opportunities to help brige the gap and create a truely equal society.

just because we have all agreed that we are equal now on a moral level, certainly does not mean the the centuries of inequality instantly disappears, especially in economic terms.
it is something we are still working towards and these college grants are very productive towards that goal.
....as long as people look at the facts intelligently before deciding that they're a victim of something and get bitter.

If you look at it that way, you're right. African-Americans are usually in more poverty than others. But wait... what's this I see, the rich ones, the well-off ones, going to college, who would otherwise still have a future better than the others!? What's this? I don't see the ones living in Compton, or Queens, the ones that are extremely poor and worst-off, getting college tuitions.

If we're going to do it in that way, if we do it at all, then we should at least do it right, by helping poverty in mostly black areas, not by helping African-Americans because of the color of their skin, no matter what their economic levels are.
Captain Awesome!

Deleted

in a bog, Ireland
#9New Post! Sep 24, 2007 @ 22:38:05
@casezilla Said
If you look at it that way, you're right. African-Americans are usually in more poverty than others. But wait... what's this I see, the rich ones, the well-off ones, going to college, who would otherwise still have a future better than the others!? What's this? I don't see the ones living in Compton, or Queens, the ones that are extremely poor and worst-off, getting college tuitions.

If we're going to do it in that way, if we do it at all, then we should at least do it right, by helping poverty in mostly black areas, not by helping African-Americans because of the color of their skin, no matter what their economic levels are.

The goal of these grants is to help encourage people from poorer areas to even attend college.
as for 'the rich one's' getting these scholarships, i have no experience of that, i'm not in America.
i can only speak about it from a policy perspective.

though i do doubt sincerly that very rich people are getting these instead of poorer people.
you do also need to get some kind of decent grade to get into a college so i'd imagine alot of it goes to middle class or lower middle class families who deserve it.

like i said, i'm not there, show me some numbers saying that its all rich people taking advantage and no poorer people then i'll admit, not that its a bad idea, but that it is currently poorly implimented.
pantalonesindeed On October 15, 2007

Euless,
#10New Post! Oct 13, 2007 @ 07:25:56
Yes (most) scholorships do go to lower clase or lower middle class before they go to upper class "African-Americans" as far as taking advantage? Its human nature to exploit. You can take any law, guidline, scholorship, grant, you name it... and there will be people to try to take it and more.

Now if you want to talk about why you see so many more upper middle class than lower class... Remember to take into account those who are told... "born poor die poor"... "be proud of the ghetto"... Or whatever demotivater you choose. When the lower class students dont apply for scholarships... they go to the next person on the list.

As far as unfairness and prejudice... Fathers wronged fathers... Sons stood next to sons... So why are grand sons still fighting grand sons. Sure you cant expect the economic and social problems to wear off in a few short years... But it can also not be expected that equality should start after "theyve" paid for what "they". Just like it cant be expected that giving a failing student a grant to college is going to make them a middle class all american tale.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Politics Forum - Some Rudeness Allowed

Subscribe to topic prefs