The Forum Site - Join the conversation
Forums:
Business & Money

how much money do you think can make you happy?

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: << · 1 2 3
stumblinthrulife On April 16, 2008

Deleted

Lake Saint Louis, Missouri
#31New Post! Sep 27, 2007 @ 16:28:36
Ultimately the adage that "money can't make you happy" is true in the direct sense. BUT the adage "not having money can make you miserable" is also true

What having money does is stop you from worrying about money, which leaves you space to make yourself happy.

Afterall, most of us work jobs we hate (or least don't actively enjoy) solely because we need money. Remove the need for money, and you can quit the job you hate and concentrate on hobbies you enjoy, or even take a low paid but satisfying job to occupy your time!
angelcake On January 18, 2016
Say whaaa

Eastleigh, United Kingdom
#32New Post! Sep 27, 2007 @ 16:39:48
@stumblinthrulife Said
About 5 million bucks. I could pay off the mortgage, retire and live an extremely comfortable life spending time with my family out on the lake. Amelia and Dylan would both get whatever education they desire.

oh i want to add and enough to send my kids to private school
uncaroggie On October 28, 2007

palm springs, California
#33New Post! Oct 13, 2007 @ 23:20:55
(Taking tongue out of cheek, in order to give a REAL answer)

I have gone from the status of "Suspiciously Unemployable" lower class, right on up to Upper Middle Class, in 35 short years.

The surprising thing I've noticed, all along that journey, was that no matter HOW much money you earn, places for it to GO TO, so that there is never enough left, continue to appear, right along with the higher income number.

Its been quite a disappointment, really. If someone could have shown me a "movie" of where I sit, financially today, to the "me" of thirty years ago, I'd have remarked that with SO MUCH INCOME, a person could go CRAZY with money, yet still have so much leftover, they could continue to go crazy just on the INTEREST it earns.

What a joke THAT is!
adonis On October 21, 2010

, United Kingdom
#34New Post! Oct 13, 2007 @ 23:25:41
Enough to make my life easy which anyone can do with a bit of graft.

The more money you make the easier it is to make more in any type of work.
El_Tino On October 12, 2023
booyaka!

Albuquerque, New Mexico
#35New Post! Oct 16, 2007 @ 09:39:40
Money can't make you happy.

But I'll take $100 million
daifu On December 20, 2007

Deleted

somewhere in the south, German
#36New Post! Oct 16, 2007 @ 10:00:12
1,50$ can make you happy when you sleep under a bridge.
10000 a month can leave you unsatisfied if you are a manager.
The question is not so much about the "how much" but about "what can you do where you are with a certain amount", the buying power and the personal values. If you can answer the question: "define an amount of wealth that gives you happiness" they will give you immediately the Nobel in Economics. You will be amused, but when you go to University and you study what are the aims of economy then you will read that the last aim is "happiness" of the society. Now I do not know about the how much. It is more about what makes you happy. Some motivation like freedom money can't buy. I've seen so many male "prostitutes", manager of "high society", with more then 10000 dollars a month, much more, that where not happy at all, because they had to betray their values and they knew it.
From an economical point of view there seems to be a cut off point. At a certain amount you do not actually spend all, not even half what you earn. The money goes in savings and then in the heritage, (the one for which your wife/husband at a certain point did put the poison in your morning coffee, just to be clearer ).
Probably money makes you "happy" if you do not feel restraint in your hedonistic choices and when you do not feel too much you have to prostitute yourself every day to earn it.
Italian saying: "chi s'accontenta gode" = who is ok with what he has got, enjoys. The classical way of people to answer this is: "cosi, cosi!" = so-so!
magically_delicious On October 27, 2020

, California
#37New Post! Oct 17, 2007 @ 06:41:55
Well it all really depends on the person now doesn't it. I have been fairly happy these last few months; I can do pretty much everything I want and need to do. I can honestly say if I made 100,000 a year that I would be happy. My reasoning being that I already have a nice house, I like the car I drive, I like most of my furniture... all I really want to do is travel a little bit more, 2 or 3 times a year to some nice places out of the country... I love horses and I am getting into breeding Arabians, so obviously that requires some money. I would like to be able to buy more clothes, but that's not a necessity and I would like to save more money. So, making about 30,000 a year more than I do already would solve all of those problems, thus making me more happy
uncaroggie On October 28, 2007

palm springs, California
#38New Post! Oct 17, 2007 @ 06:57:06
Actually, it wouldn't. Trust me.
xxdeceivingeyesxx On April 19, 2009

Deleted

nowhere, California
#39New Post! Oct 17, 2007 @ 07:17:55
My life and soul would not be complete because of money, but my life would be much easier and less stressful if I had 18hundred in my pocket. Yup, that's all I need.
zander65 On February 19, 2008

glasgow, United Kingdom
#40New Post! Oct 19, 2007 @ 10:05:08
money cant buy you happyness but it does pay the bills and you will never be short of hangers on (oops i meant friends
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: << · 1 2 3

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs