Society & Lifestyles

Anti-culture?

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
stumblinthrulife On April 16, 2008

Deleted

Lake Saint Louis, Missouri
#1New Post! Sep 12, 2007 @ 19:36:08
Every generation has it's anti-culture statement. Earings, tattoos, free-love, drugs, whatever. Anything that would piss off your parents.

It seems that there are an inordinate amount of gay and bisexual teenagers around today. Is homosexuality one of the current anti-culture trends? In 10 years time will the birth rate plummet due to a lack of breeders? Or most of the bisexual and gay teenagers be married (to a member of the opposite sex) with 2.4 children and Volvo? Will the gay percentage of their generation move to a more expected level?

Or perhaps every generation has always had this many gay people, but they were previously in the closet. Maybe this is the nominal distribution of sexuality? That would be interesting.

I'm guessing a little from column A, and a little from column B. What a shame we don't track sexuality on the census. One would expect that the number would remain constant in the same peer group as they age, but I'm guessing it would drop. Would make a fascinating study.

Note - I'm not saying that no teenage homosexual is actually gay. I'm not questionning your ability to determine your own sexuality. I'm not saying that all teenage homosexuals are faking it. What I am saying, however, is that I believe that for some, and possibly many, it will turn out to have been an anti-culture fad. Particularly the bi-sexuals who never date anyone but the opposite sex, or the homosexual that has never been romantically involved with anyone. We all know the people about whom I speak.

Deleted

#2New Post! Sep 12, 2007 @ 19:37:24
Note for Raditz and Princess Bubblegum - the title was anti-culture, not anti-coulter. No need to gang up on me
raditz8526 On July 02, 2009

Deleted

, Minnesota
#3New Post! Sep 12, 2007 @ 19:42:05
Is anyone really Anti-Coulter? lol

Just jealous of her really.

Ok, back to topic. lol
Forget_About_Me On June 22, 2014
Victory is mine!

, Canada
#4New Post! Sep 12, 2007 @ 19:43:14
I think it seems like there's more gay/bisexual people today because it's a lot more accepted in society than it was years before. I would hope that people aren't saying they're gay or bisexual just to piss of their parents, that just seems wrong to me. A tattoo is one thing, but lying about their sexuality is another.
jonnythan On August 02, 2014
Bringer of rad mirth

Deleted

Here and there,
#5New Post! Sep 12, 2007 @ 19:49:38
Ever consider that maybe the number of actual homosexuals hasn't really changed that much, but kids with homosexual tendencies are far more comfortable being honest and open about it than they were when you were that age?

Deleted

#6New Post! Sep 12, 2007 @ 19:50:38
@jonnythan Said
Ever consider that maybe the number of actual homosexuals hasn't really changed that much, but kids with homosexual tendencies are far more comfortable being honest and open about it than they were when you were that age?

Yes, in my post above.

@I Said
Or perhaps every generation has always had this many gay people, but they were previously in the closet. Maybe this is the nominal distribution of sexuality? That would be interesting.
jonnythan On August 02, 2014
Bringer of rad mirth

Deleted

Here and there,
#7New Post! Sep 12, 2007 @ 19:57:04
Ah, I somehow glossed over that line.

I think that you will find what you are currently seeing is a much more "normal" distribution of sexuality.

Deleted

#8New Post! Sep 12, 2007 @ 19:58:19
I want to stress, for the record, that my point is not an anti-gay one. I couldn't care less about a persons sexuality, none of my business.

I'm just wondering if sexuality has been adopted as a counter-culture statement. Being "out of the closet" has a certain coolness to it, and I have seen it worn as a badge of honor. The difference between not hiding ones sexuality, as no one should have to, and openly flaunting it in a way most people would not. It makes me wonder as to the intention of the person.

Of course, it's a complex psychological issue. Do repressed and hidden sexual urges build up so much pressure that when a person can come out makes them want to shout it from the roof tops and make a big deal about it? Who knows.

I maintain that it will be interesting to see if this generation will have the same distribution of sexuality when they are 25, 30, 40, 60 etc....
alexkidd On February 07, 2012
Captain Awesome!

Deleted

in a bog, Ireland
#9New Post! Sep 12, 2007 @ 20:02:17
hmm, it doesnt feel like rebellion to me.
i think kids just feel a little more comfortable exploring their desires than they have in many generations.

and there isn't as much social stigma to discourage these thoughts either. so i think a lot more people have the opportunity to realise their sexuality.
Darkshine On May 05, 2010

Sydney, Australia
#10New Post! Sep 12, 2007 @ 20:38:50
Anything to shock and amaze, kids of the alternative culture of today will do.

But, in regards to sexuality, many of them may not be gay or bisexual truly,
but feel open minded towards feelings for the same gender.

To many it may seem 'poser-ish' or 'faked', but to them, it's all a part of
exploring.

These days, sexuality inside their culture is embraced alot more (say we're
talking about the emo culture), but outside, they're just as victimised as
anyone else.

You'll find that if you look at the distributing of sexuality, most gays will go
to a 'gay scene', rather than a gothic scene.

So I just reckon we're hearing alot more of bisexual and homosexual teens
because they're ready to experiment and they're no longer ashamed of the
feelings that where once (And still are, in most cases), shunned.

(Of course several of my points are void in say, UK, where gay rights are
policy)
rozenkatze On January 01, 2008

CORK, Ireland
#11New Post! Sep 16, 2007 @ 01:04:03
There is very little "True" rebellion from kids these days. We're becoming increasingly homogenous and complacent. You give them far too much credit...
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs