Racism

"Read a Book" PSA on BET causing people to go up in arms

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
alysedai On November 09, 2020

Newport News, Virginia
#1New Post! Sep 12, 2007 @ 14:47:59
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rN2VqFPNS8w

Watch the above video and determine for yourself whether it is a much needed message, or offensive.

I think the satire is brilliant, and it has a great message, which much of rap doesn't.

Discuss.
jonnythan On August 02, 2014
Bringer of rad mirth

Deleted

Here and there,
#2New Post! Sep 12, 2007 @ 14:54:59
@alysedai Said
determine for yourself whether it is a much needed message, or offensive.

Why are those my only two options?

Why does every issue on earth have to get split down the middle between two extremes?

This is the best possible way to polarize the discussion.

Newport News, Virginia
#3New Post! Sep 12, 2007 @ 14:56:45
Or anything in between. Pardon Jonnythan. Most people seem to be on the extremes over this video, which is why I stated it as I did. I'm not saying there's no in between opinions, as there obviously are.
Bringer of rad mirth

Deleted

Here and there,
#4New Post! Sep 12, 2007 @ 15:06:37
I think it was totally awesome.

This video has a very specific target: inner-city, hip-hop culture that seems to revel in its own ignorance and filth and glorify the spending of money on showy trinkets instead of investments or smart spending. There are lots of people out there encouraging education and so forth, but it's not to hear someone in the popular media say "Read a book! Read a motherf***ing book!" and "Buy some land, f*** spinning rims!"
markfox01 On October 23, 2021
innit!

Welshman in Brum.., United Kin
#5New Post! Sep 12, 2007 @ 15:07:14
I sadly cant see the video babe, can you explain it to me? If possible.
stumblinthrulife On April 16, 2008

Deleted

Lake Saint Louis, Missouri
#6New Post! Sep 12, 2007 @ 15:10:04
If people are going to listen to this s*** anyway, there may as well be a message getting pounded into their heads, I guess.

Many people have said it's racist, and frankly I guess it is since it's only black people depicted in the video. I don't think that the intent is to say that only black people need heed this message (no one is going to claim that there aren't uneducated white people), but the intention of the artist was probably to try to affect some change within those parts of the black community where it's needed most. f*** the over-privileged white man, as it were.

Well, s***, actually the primary intention of the artist was to create a controversial song that lends itself to viral advertising and will sell in bucket loads. But I think this is why the actual subject was chosen...
Bringer of rad mirth

Deleted

Here and there,
#7New Post! Sep 12, 2007 @ 15:11:05
@markfox01 Said
I sadly cant see the video babe, can you explain it to me? If possible.

It's an animated video for a rap-pop song called "Read a book!"

The lyrics are here:
https://www.smartlyrics.com/Song631665-DMite-Read-a-Book-lyrics.aspx
alexkidd On February 07, 2012
Captain Awesome!

Deleted

in a bog, Ireland
#8New Post! Sep 12, 2007 @ 15:20:19
i think it rocks,
a healthy message for all.

i don't think its racist at all.
innit!

#9New Post! Sep 12, 2007 @ 15:31:00
At last a peice of media actually using the tools of the people that sell records and use them for good...

Deleted

#10New Post! Sep 12, 2007 @ 15:33:42
@alexkidd Said
i think it rocks,
a healthy message for all.

i don't think its racist at all.

You may be right. Racism is a word we are all too quick to throw around today. If you sent a message to specifically to uneducated white people, it wouldn't be racism. Or if it was, it's more likely to be labeled racism against the black man, since they are not receiving the same message. Send a message to uneducated blacks, and it's racism. Against... the black man! And who's screaming racism? Probably privileged white people like us trying to feel good about themselves.

The difference is between "racist" and "targeted". This message is undoubtedly targeted at blacks, but then again is targeted at a subset of blacks that frankly do need to read a book and generally do something with their life. Is that racist? Well, they aren't saying that all black people are like that. Sure, they are portraying a stereotype, but some black people meet the stereotype and that is where the song is aimed.

If you are an educated, successful black person, and you are offended by this, then I guess the song isn't even meant for you. It's aimed at trying to help parts of the community that do fit the stereotype turn themselves around and become educated, successful people like youselves.

Does it perpetuate the stereotype? Maybe. But isn't it better to accept and recognise that such people exist, and send out a positive message, than to put our heads in the sand and think that all black people have 4.0 grade point averages and work middle management white collar jobs for 6 figure salaries?
innit!

#11New Post! Sep 12, 2007 @ 15:38:08
@stumblinthrulife Said
You may be right. Racism is a word we are all too quick to throw around today. If you sent a message to specifically to uneducated white people, it wouldn't be racism. Or if it was, it's more likely to be labeled racism against the black man, since they are not receiving the same message. Send a message to uneducated blacks, and it's racism. Against... the black man! And who's screaming racism? Probably privileged white people like us trying to feel good about themselves.

The difference is between "racist" and "targeted". This message is undoubtedly targeted at blacks, but then again is targeted at a subset of blacks that frankly do need to read a book and generally do something with their life. Is that racist? Well, they aren't saying that all black people are like that. Sure, they are portraying a stereotype, but some black people meet the stereotype and that is where the song is aimed.

If you are an educated, successful black person, and you are offended by this, then I guess the song isn't even meant for you. It's aimed at trying to help parts of the community that do fit the stereotype turn themselves around and become educated, successful people like youselves.

Does it perpetuate the stereotype? Maybe. But isn't it better to accept and recognise that such people exist, and send out a positive message, than to put our heads in the sand and think that all black people have 4.0 grade point averages and work middle management white collar jobs for 6 figure salaries?

Is it not aimed at Ghettos too?

Deleted

#12New Post! Sep 12, 2007 @ 15:44:53
@markfox01 Said
Is it not aimed at Ghettos too?

On the assumption that the ghettos are where most of the target audience live, then yeah. But it's the people that make the audience, not the location.

If we want to be accurate, it's aimed at anyone that doesn't read, doesn't brush their teeth, doesn't use deoderant and would rather buy shiney useless trinkets instead of investing their money to take care of their family. If anyone fits any of the above, then it's they should take note, regardless of geographic location, skin color, nationality.

Since the artist is black, he has chosen to aim it at his race, who presumably he wants to help out of the poverty cycle.

We all espouse the values of financial education and personal responsibility. There's not much chance of an impoverished inner-city blackman picking up "Rich dad, poor dad", signing up for an economics class or talking to a financial adviser at the nearest Bank of America, but there is a good chance they'll hear this song. And it might just spark something in the minds of a few.

Newport News, Virginia
#13New Post! Sep 12, 2007 @ 16:14:17
I think that the biggest issues that came up with this video was the time of day it was being shown on the television...in the afternoon when kids would see it.

I think they SHOULD see it though. They're listening to music like this anyway...at least this song has a message.

And it's catchy...I can't stop singing it in my head...

Deleted

#14New Post! Sep 12, 2007 @ 16:20:17
@alysedai Said
I think that the biggest issues that came up with this video was the time of day it was being shown on the television...in the afternoon when kids would see it.

I think they SHOULD see it though. They're listening to music like this anyway...at least this song has a message.

And it's catchy...I can't stop singing it in my head...

If kids are going to singing this stuff anyway, then I'd rather

"read a book, read a book, read a muhf***ing book"

than

"f*** a ho, f*** a ho, f*** her in her assho'"
treebee On April 13, 2015
Government Hooker

London, United Kingdom
#15New Post! Sep 12, 2007 @ 16:22:04
@stumblinthrulife Said
If kids are going to singing this stuff anyway, then I'd rather

"read a book, read a book, read a muhf***ing book"

than

"f*** a ho, f*** a ho, f*** her in her assho'"

i dunno why but that made me laugh so hard!
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Politics Forum - Some Rudeness Allowed

Subscribe to topic prefs