Forums: Art & Literature:
Writing

something I am working on, for now called "In the time of dragons"

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
dragonpoet On September 08, 2016

putnam, Connecticut
#1New Post! Sep 09, 2007 @ 20:01:59
Essentially thinking of developing this into a set of short tales which essentially will go altogether, however all I have done so far is the possible introduction to it, and perhaps the first short tale, anyways would love to hear what everyone thinks of it.

In a time not of this time when men were infancy and all matter of creatures roamed free; it was the time of the dragons.

In a place not of this place when men were finding their place and all matter of creatures existed; it was the land of the dragons.

In a moment not of this moment when men were craving their kingdoms and all matter of creatures struggled to exist; it was the beginning of end, as the dragons fell.

In the visions of dreams, all that had been and all that had been hoped lays crumbled all around and the dust begins to settle, who will be on top; men or beast?

In time all things change for nothing stays the same and with each change comes uncertainty, and in times of great uncertainty nothing is solid for the very fibers of life are shifting.

In each generation new visions are created, new marks are left upon the fibers of life as such new legends, new tales are brought to life. Breathing to life what was but isn't, for it is surely changed with each passing moment.

Enter the time of dragons, embracing the land of dragons, and discover their heart, soul and plight.

Vaer opened the door of his treasure room. The door creaked and protested against his weight as he pushed against it. He squeezed through the entrance. His wings brushed against the sides and behind him the Elven children giggled, excited about entering where they had never been allowed to before, but today, he desired to share with them the stories he had collected over the years. He knew no better way to do this then to show them his most precious treasure.

The room was a large circular cavern with rock ledge running along its circumstance. On the ledge sat numerous items from the grotesque to the unique. the floor of the cavern was littered with gold coins, gems, jewelry, swords, and various other items, but they were meaningless pieces. He approached the ledge choosing the first peice and thus the first tale to tell. Carefully, he reached for the piece and for a moment he closed his eyes remembering. In the background, the elven children chattered excited, jingling the gold coins as they shifted through the gold, exploring the floor's treasure.

Opening his eyes, he surveyed the children, allowing them to run wild for a few minutes and giving himself time to study the item he held. With a heavy heart, he tapped the magically sealed container with a single claw. The container was the most precious of all his belongings for it had been his first, and had set him upon the road he had taken. He had chosen to be the collected of dragon lore and tales, venturing through out the land gathering all that he could, before he had retreated here.

Now, he lived within the veil city of the Elves, living peacefully amongst them in this hidden valley. No one from here dared to ventured outside of the valley, and many believed that all those who had not retreated here, are now perished. For all he knew, he could be the last of his kind to even exist, since many of his kinds, choose to remain in the human world.

"Children, gather around" he bellowed. He settled on his hunches, pulling his wings tight to his body as the children settled in around him. He held out the container, so all could see it. Inside the container was a delicate white blossom.

"Children this is the first tale that I gathered, I had been but a hatchling sitting at my Tad-cu knee, it is the tale of the "Moonflower's Heart" as the children marveled at the sealed flower. Softly, he began the story just as his grandfather had told him, including all that had happened on the fateful day so many decades ago.

Moonglower's Heart
"Once upon a time, when the mystical was the norm, and the land was ours to command, and men were but insects to us, all was good amongst our kind, and all that you see was ours for the taking." The ancient dragon, Caddoc bitterly told the hatchling at his feet. Carefully, he stretched his large frame upon the cliff face. His large tail twitched and swept the cliff's surface, knocking stones to the ground below like dancing pebbles striking chimes. The familar ring beings him a small measure of comfort. He glanced upward, staring into the night sky.

The moon sets high upon its heavenly perch and its silvery beams glided downward. Millions of twinkling little lights echoed around its brillant halo, but with a heavy heart, Caddoc sighed loudly for not a dragon can be seen. How he remembered the old days when the skies would be filled with dragons, hunting the unwary and unsuspecting, but now as the wolves' howl echoed, he knows the glory days have vanished. His heart quickens, filled with apprehension for days to come, and he wished he know what fate would befall the hatchling beside him, but he knew only that his own strength was diminishing daily.

"Tad-cu, what are you doing" hissed his daughter from the cave entrance as her slender head appears. Slowly, he turned his head to face her. His aging scales creaked with each moment. Her bluish skin glistened in the moonlight, and his heart softens.

"Enjoying the night, fy merch (my daughter)." He gently purred as wrapped a protective claw around the hatchling, drawing the youngster closer to his frame.

"Tad-cu, what if they see you" again she hissed, her voice riddled with fear. She sucked air into her lungs and bellowed a spark of flame as she nervously glanced about the cliff ledge. Her smaller frame shivered, and in her minds eye she still saw the battle of only days ago when they had barely escaped the clutches of men. Her precious mate had not for he had stayed and fought while they had escaped with the only surviving hatchling.

"What does it matter, fy merch? Our days are numbered, and the glory we once knew is nothing more then a fairy tale, and soon, even our existence will seem to be nothing more then a far fetched dream to the mortal insects that slay us nightly?"

"Tad-cu, the clan plans on striking back, to wipe them from our land for their trepassing." Vehemently, she bellowed, pleased with the clan's decision to strike, for her heart burned with hatred for those who had stolen her mate.

However, Caddoc just shook his head, knowing that the clan's actions would bring naught but sorrow and death for he had spent many hours watching these pests. Since their first appearance upon their shores, they had done little but destroy and change all that they came across. Everyday they seem to multiply like the troublesome insects of earlier spring. Life was changing and no longer were they on the top, for now, they were the hunted.

"Tad-cu" she grasped, seeing the defeated look in his eyes, which reminded her of the last look she had shared with her mate before the insect's spear peirced his heart.

"Merch, today is all that we ahve, tomorrow is a nightmare that may or may not be, and yesterday is a dream we can't let go of, but none of which the clan speaks of will bring back what was."

"So what are you saying, Tad-cu?" Adain exclaimed. Her voice cracked with terror for she was not ready to lose her Tad-cu, for had she not already lost so much; first it had been her parents, and now her, mate, would he be next?

"What is thee for an anceint one who has grown tired, weak, and sick of heart but to refresh the minds of the young of days lost to us?" He softly asked as he turned back to the heavens. Silently, he watched a bird as it briefly flew in the moon's glow before vanishing within the trees.

What could she tell Tad-cu, when she herself felt the lost of so much for once they had proudly controlled the heavens and the land. They had peaceful walked beside all that was here, taking only what they needed, changing only what they had too, but now, they hide within their caverns afraid to take flight even in the night. She glanced toward the hatchling perched beside her Tad-cu and wondered what the future held for him.

---- I have more to type on this first tale, however will have to add to it in a 1/2 hour or so -------
kit On January 24, 2014

Fife, United Kingdom
#2New Post! Sep 09, 2007 @ 20:12:25
I think I love you...

This is an amazing story. You switched between the present and past tenses a couple of times, and there were some mistakes, but I love it... the imagery's amazing, and I've always loved dragons. Can't wait to read more

putnam, Connecticut
#3New Post! Sep 09, 2007 @ 20:19:12
@kit Said
I think I love you...

This is an amazing story. You switched between the present and past tenses a couple of times, and there were some mistakes, but I love it... the imagery's amazing, and I've always loved dragons. Can't wait to read more

Thank you, and yeah, I know it still needs some work especially with the tenses and such, but mainly I wanted to know what others would think of the little tale, working on posting the rest of it now! Will be adding the rest of what I got written....this is a rough draft of it now...hopw you will check it out!

putnam, Connecticut
#4New Post! Sep 09, 2007 @ 21:02:05
kit On January 24, 2014

Fife, United Kingdom
#5New Post! Sep 10, 2007 @ 15:26:40
@dragonpoet Said
Thank you, and yeah, I know it still needs some work especially with the tenses and such, but mainly I wanted to know what others would think of the little tale, working on posting the rest of it now! Will be adding the rest of what I got written....this is a rough draft of it now...hopw you will check it out!

I will. Where is it?! Gimme! >.<

putnam, Connecticut
#6New Post! Sep 12, 2007 @ 14:09:52
@kit Said
I will. Where is it?! Gimme! >.<

I posted them as part 2 and part 3....still have work to do, but love to hear if you think it is worth working on developing....Thanks.
jazzy2002 On May 16, 2009

Deleted

, United States (general)
#7New Post! Sep 12, 2007 @ 15:28:06
The narrative is very good. Intro poem could use a little refining though. Perhpas not so many sentences beginning with "In" and perhaps stick to one imagery thought, either about time, visions or place--not to be harsh, but I got it that it was a different place after the first line.

Thumbs UP!

putnam, Connecticut
#8New Post! Sep 14, 2007 @ 13:39:07
@jazzy2002 Said
The narrative is very good. Intro poem could use a little refining though. Perhpas not so many sentences beginning with "In" and perhaps stick to one imagery thought, either about time, visions or place--not to be harsh, but I got it that it was a different place after the first line.

Thumbs UP!

Okay and thanks, will work on it some!
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs