The Forum Site - Join the conversation
Forums: Business & Money:
Jobs & Careers

People said it would be easier to find work when im employed..?

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
fix_me On September 21, 2007

11 miles from nowhere, United
#1New Post! Sep 04, 2007 @ 14:45:02
i am currently working from 8am until 6pm, do not get home til after 7pm as live far away from work.
i am actively looking for a new job, the thing is, im getting interviews for plenty of places but in the end i have to cancel them as i cannot take the time off from my present job, as it stands i have to give one months notice to take a day off.
how do i find a new job under the circumstances?
(i have tried asking for telephone interviews..no luck, also i cannot go in my lunch break as it is so far away from anywhere and i do not drive)
treebee On April 13, 2015
Government Hooker

London, United Kingdom
#2New Post! Sep 04, 2007 @ 14:46:39
legally your employer must give you time off to attend interviews, your employer should know this
markfox01 On October 23, 2021
innit!

Welshman in Brum.., United Kin
#3New Post! Sep 04, 2007 @ 14:52:33
@treebee Said
legally your employer must give you time off to attend interviews, your employer should know this

Only if your being made reduntant or your contract is ending soon.
Government Hooker

London, United Kingdom
#4New Post! Sep 04, 2007 @ 14:54:17
I was told at the job centre that your employer must allow you to attend interviews or the job centre will take action against them. Redundancy or end of a contract wasnt mentioned. Not that im saying you are wrong, however that is what i was advised.
alexkidd On February 07, 2012
Captain Awesome!

Deleted

in a bog, Ireland
#5New Post! Sep 04, 2007 @ 14:56:19
i think most people like to see what their prospects are job wise before they tell their current employer they're looking for other work.

i'd be careful about leaving your job without another lined up, but i know that its the best thing i ever did.
the world won't end just because you're unemployed for awhile.

but when i relay my experience its important to point out that i'm a single guy with very little financial responsibilities.
innit!

#6New Post! Sep 04, 2007 @ 15:12:01
@treebee Said
I was told at the job centre that your employer must allow you to attend interviews or the job centre will take action against them. Redundancy or end of a contract wasnt mentioned. Not that im saying you are wrong, however that is what i was advised.

Treebs babe, your not wrong it used to be like that about 10years ago, employment law has made it harder for people to leave jobs, with out taking time off for interviews... there all money grabbing... they wont give people free time off now to piss off to another companny.

also the jobcentre dont give advice now on employment law. costs to much to train them. sat on a course not so long ago with a senior manager who was on the last ever course for the south west...
Government Hooker

London, United Kingdom
#7New Post! Sep 04, 2007 @ 15:14:35
LMAO Mark stop giving away my age
operaghost On June 13, 2008

Long Island, New York
#8New Post! Sep 04, 2007 @ 15:31:47
I am at this nowhere going job for a little over 2 years. Great now I have experience under my belt and want to move on.
I have such a hard time making interviews without my boss catching on since I work 8:30 to 5:30pm. My hose for lunch really doesn't give me enough time to get to an interview and have it done, and time to get back.
I could tell my employer I have a doctor's appt but how many can one person have?
I don't want to tell them I'm "looking" because from what I've seen here they give people a hard time until they go. Yes some former employees tried to take legal action against them for this, but failed.

I have a 2 week vacation coming up at the end of the month. Hopefully I can get some decent job interviews lined up for that time.

Trust me, I feel for you. It's not easy to get another job while still employed. I'm almost hoping they fire me so that way I have lots of time to go on interviews. But I prefer not to quit until I have another job to land on. Someone's gotta make my car payments at the end of the month and if it isn't me... well no one will do it.
innit!

#9New Post! Sep 04, 2007 @ 15:39:35
@treebee Said
LMAO Mark stop giving away my age

your still young in my eyes babes.. x
Government Hooker

London, United Kingdom
#10New Post! Sep 04, 2007 @ 15:40:02
@markfox01 Said