Forums:
Politics

Recommendation: Drop Marine murder case on Haditha

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
ugly_ducky On September 30, 2008

Jurassic Pond,
#1New Post! Aug 25, 2007 @ 06:27:27
SAN DIEGO - An investigating officer recommended Thursday dismissing all charges against a Marine accused of murdering two girls in an assault that killed 24 civilians in the Iraqi town of Haditha.

Lance Cpl. Stephen B. Tatum, 26, is charged with unpremeditated murder of two girls and negligent homicide on suspicion that he unlawfully killed two men, a woman and a boy. He is also accused of assaulting another boy and a girl.

Investigating officer Lt. Col. Paul Ware said the evidence was too weak for a court-martial. Tatum shot and killed civilians, but "he did so because of his training and the circumstances he was placed in, not to exact revenge and commit murder," Ware wrote.

"I believe (Lance Cpl.) Tatum's real life experience and training on how to clear a room took over and his body instinctively began firing while his head tried to grasp at what and why he was firing," Ware wrote. "By the time he could recognize that he was shooting at children, his body had already acted.

Ware's recommendation is nonbinding. Lt. Gen. James Mattis, the commanding general overseeing the case, has final say about whether Tatum will be court-martialed.

https://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070823/ap_on_re_us/marines_haditha_1

I looks as if they are admitting he did it but claiming he is not responsible.
I take back what I said about it being a hoax.
localisedgirl On October 03, 2007

Deleted

, United Kingdom
#2New Post! Aug 25, 2007 @ 09:57:25
@ugly_ducky Said
SAN DIEGO - An investigating officer recommended Thursday dismissing all charges against a Marine accused of murdering two girls in an assault that killed 24 civilians in the Iraqi town of Haditha.

Lance Cpl. Stephen B. Tatum, 26, is charged with unpremeditated murder of two girls and negligent homicide on suspicion that he unlawfully killed two men, a woman and a boy. He is also accused of assaulting another boy and a girl.

Investigating officer Lt. Col. Paul Ware said the evidence was too weak for a court-martial. Tatum shot and killed civilians, but "he did so because of his training and the circumstances he was placed in, not to exact revenge and commit murder," Ware wrote.

"I believe (Lance Cpl.) Tatum's real life experience and training on how to clear a room took over and his body instinctively began firing while his head tried to grasp at what and why he was firing," Ware wrote. "By the time he could recognize that he was shooting at children, his body had already acted.

Ware's recommendation is nonbinding. Lt. Gen. James Mattis, the commanding general overseeing the case, has final say about whether Tatum will be court-martialed.

https://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070823/ap_on_re_us/marines_haditha_1

I looks as if they are admitting he did it but claiming he is not responsible.
I take back what I said about it being a hoax.

he shuodl be sentenced the same as anyone else.

that excuse woudlnt work if it was somone on th streets who just randomly fired at people.
politics On September 10, 2013

London`, United Kingdom
#3New Post! Aug 25, 2007 @ 10:51:04
told ya so
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Politics Forum - Some Rudeness Allowed

Subscribe to topic prefs