Society & Lifestyles

I've lost another friend to domestic violence

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
WildChild On February 16, 2013
Perv Magnet

Southern Middle, Tennessee
#1New Post! Aug 22, 2007 @ 15:52:33
I can't for the life of me understand how or why someone can just murder someone , anyone but for heavens sake , someone that you are soposed to love or loved at one time.

I just found out this morning that a friend of mine was murdered this weekend along with his Mom. I'm just really distraught over this whole thing it tears me up inside to imagine this.

Today's Date:
August 22, 2007

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Lawrenceburg Woman, Leoma Man Killed In Alabama Shooting
Posted on August 21, 2007

From the Times Daily

A Lauderdale County man shot and killed his estranged wife, stepson and himself as an apparent result of a domestic situation that erupted early Monday morning, authorities said.

57 year oldPhyllis Darnell, of 517 Third St., Lawrenceburg, and her 38-year-old son, Phillip Darnell, of Leoma., were killed at the scene, said Lauderdale County Sheriff Ronnie Willis.

The suspect, 60-year-old Billy Berryman, Phyllis Darnell's estranged husband, was found inside the house at 356 Lauderdale 496 where he died from an apparent self-inflected wound, officials said.

The shooting took place just before 9:30 a.m. at Berryman's residence, which is in the Sweet Gum community, five miles west of Lexington.

"I just don't understand people," said Willis as he stood on the road looking toward the house. "I really hate this; this has really just torn up the lives of two families."

Investigators said Berryman and Darnell were going through a divorce. One of Darnell's family members said Phyllis Darnell had been living in Lawrenceburg for about four months.

Chief Investigator Travis Clemmons said Darnell, her son and her daughter came to the residence to get some of Phyllis Darnell's belongings.

A silver Toyota sports utility vehicle, with a trailer attached, was parked in the driveway. The trailer was filled with various items, including a lawn mower, generator, tools and lawn equipment.

A tractor-trailer truck driver was at the residence loading a large utility building that was to be taken off the property.

Clemmons said a family member who lived nearby apparently notified Berryman at work that the Darnells were at the house getting the items.

"He drove up and blocked the driveway, got out of his truck and confronted them," Clemmons said. "From what we can determine, some kind of argument ensued and shots were fired."

He said the confrontation happened behind the house near the barn, which is where the Darnells' bodies were found.

Willis said Darnell's daughter and the truck driver ran when the shooting started and were not injured.

The sheriff said that apparently Berryman chased them a little way before returning to his residence.

"When officers arrived, they found (the two victims), laying in the backyard," Clemmons said.

Willis said that while deputies were checking the bodies, they heard a muffled shot come from inside the house.

The sheriff said the Lauderdale County special response team was activated and around 10 a.m. the decision was made to enter the house.

Clemmons said when the team entered the house, they found Berryman who had apparently sustained a self-inflicted gunshot wound.

Authorities said Berryman was on the couch with a .38-caliber pistol in his hand.

Many members of the Darnell and Berryman families came to the scene and were noticeably upset.

Authorities said the bodies will be sent to forensics for autopsies.

Copyright ? 2003 WDXE. All rights reserved.
Site Maintenace by Chad Pylant; Services by iGiles.net, LLC.
Forget_About_Me On June 22, 2014
Victory is mine!

, Canada
#2New Post! Aug 22, 2007 @ 16:10:50
That's so horrible, I will never understand it either.
Perv Magnet

#3New Post! Aug 22, 2007 @ 16:15:08
@forget_about_me Said
That's so horrible, I will never understand it either.

My heart goes out to this family . Phillip was very much loved by anyone who he met. I went all through school with him and we even dated for about six months. Now he has three kids who have no daddy.
markfox01 On October 23, 2021
innit!

Welshman in Brum.., United Kin
#4New Post! Aug 22, 2007 @ 17:06:26
That is such a sad thing to happen.. my heart goes out to the family too.
miss7marie On March 23, 2010

, New York
#5New Post! Aug 22, 2007 @ 17:09:03
Oh my goodness! how awful.
I don't understand it either, there is nothing to be gained from it!
loveis On January 15, 2010
brat-inella

Deleted

In the mirror,
#6New Post! Aug 22, 2007 @ 17:49:29
There's no words to describe the senselessness of this act..
May God grant peace to the family's.
dlsharp On November 30, 2015

Murfreesboro, Tennessee
#7New Post! Aug 22, 2007 @ 18:14:03
I have read this kind of story over and over and it still makes no sense. Just what can be gained by this act of deparation? I feel for the family . Just what do you say at a time like this?
Perv Magnet

#8New Post! Aug 22, 2007 @ 19:50:04
There is nothing you can say . I just have to ask myself how the family member feels , the one who called the husband to let him know that Phillip and his Mom were there collecting her things. That person in my opinion has blood on their hands. The man had no idea that they were there until the family member called him to tell him. I'm sure that the person who made the call had no idea that he'd go off the deep end and kill them but still it was a bad move.

I also wonder why they did'nt have an officer go out to the house with them?
Perv Magnet

#9New Post! Aug 23, 2007 @ 23:35:24
I just keep finding out details to this story that have not yet been released by the press and it's about to rip my heart out of my chest.

I called today to talk to the sister , she was with them when this happened but she and the truck driver that was there to pick up an utility building were able to run away with the man shooting at them.

She said that after he shot her mother and her brother he came after them and the only reason he did'nt get them was he ran out of bullets and went back into the house to re-load.

She of course is very distraught by this whole thing and I guess none of our lives will ever be the same because we have lost a dear dear friend.

I will be driving down for the funeral and I dread that so bad but I feel I must be there.
momsydearest On January 05, 2009

White Oak, Alabama
#10New Post! Aug 24, 2007 @ 23:59:07
My heart goes out to you. I know everyone involved and I am just as shocked and numb as the next gal.

How can we endure this?
Perv Magnet

#11New Post! Aug 27, 2007 @ 01:13:08
@momsydearest Said
My heart goes out to you. I know everyone involved and I am just as shocked and numb as the next gal.

How can we endure this?

I don't know how we get through it. I'm still in shock and I just can't imagine what the family is actually going through. They were killed on the third anniversary of my very best friends death and she was killed by her husband , I just don't understand it and I can't for the life of me understand what would make someone snap enough to kill someone , over material things none the less.
alexkidd On February 07, 2012
Captain Awesome!

Deleted

in a bog, Ireland
#12New Post! Aug 27, 2007 @ 01:40:34
oh god, i'm really sorry to hear that.

its hard to understand what the hell we're doing as people when this kind of thing happens to soeone close to you.

all you guys will be in my thoughts.
Perv Magnet

#13New Post! Aug 27, 2007 @ 01:42:46
Thanks for the good thoughts , I just wish we could turn back time.
old55 On September 26, 2007

, Australia
#14New Post! Aug 27, 2007 @ 12:21:40
this must be very difficult for u to cope with and 4 it 2 happen twice what the hell is going on i just wish these maniacs would just kill themselves why they are so selfish as to take others with them i will never understand
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs