AuthorMessage
Pages: << · 1 2
raditz8526 On July 02, 2009

Deleted

, Minnesota
#16New Post! Aug 20, 2007 @ 20:46:50
@wildething Said
illegal immigrants founded america.
illegal in that the native americans certainly did not give them the legal right to live there.
now america is one of the strongest countries in the world.
so what did the founding fathers contribute?
lets not be so blinkered by bigotry here.

In order for there to have been illegal immigrants during the founding of America there would have had to have immigration laws in place. There wasn't. So, no, we weren't founded by illegal immigrants.
stumblinthrulife On April 16, 2008

Deleted

Lake Saint Louis, Missouri
#17New Post! Aug 21, 2007 @ 00:20:54
@ugly_ducky Said
Actually no. What illegal immigration does is drive down wages for everybody in the lower economic bracket while the price of goods still go up. Do you honestly think those who are exploiting this labor are passing the savings on to you?

Do you honestly think that if they lose those savings it wouldn't be reflected in the cost of goods?

I'm not saying whether it's right or wrong. All I'm trying to do is raise awareness that you can't expell over 10 million of the lowest paid workers in the country without it having a material effect on us all.

Deleted

#18New Post! Aug 21, 2007 @ 00:44:10
@ugly_ducky Said
Any tax burdens assumed by the rich and corporations are passed down to the average joe. Lets face reality, illegal immigration is a burden not an asset. They are costing this country more than they are contributing to it.
Remove them, yes there will be consequences but there is no reason at all to assume they would be worse then what we are dealing with now.
I just do not see any evidence at all that allowing millions of uneducated and unskilled impoverished people into the country is a good thing.

Here is an interesting read on the impact of illegal immigration and the job market.
https://www.usillegalaliens.com/impacts_of_illegal_immigration_jobs.html

If you expel the illegal immigrants, we will not get our $11,000 back each year. It'll probably cost more than that to seek out and mobilize 11,000,000 people, and then secure the borders (I mean really secure them, not just put up a fence) against more.

To put that 11,000,000 figure into context, that's nearly 20,000 Boeing 747s full of illegal immigrants. A full tank of fuel for 747 costs about $100,000. So that's $2 billion in fuel alone to remove all illegals from the USA. Then you have to track down, apprehend and process all of them before you even load them onto the plane. Let's say 1 man can apprehend 1,000 illegals a year (a farical figure, virtually impossible). That's 11,000 man-years of labor to apprehend them all. Let's say you're paying them $40,000 a year, very reasonable for skilled labor. That's another $440 million, and you still need to process them, and jail them while you're waiting for your 20,000 747s to be fueled up.

The length of the US border with Mexico is nearly 2,000 miles. The border with Canada is nearly 9,000 miles. So that's 11,000 miles of land border alone to secure. I can't even begin to estimate the cost of that, even if they just built a frakking great big wall. If you really want to be secure you need,what? An officer every mile? Every half mile? Every 100 yards? Let's say one per mile. Let's pay them $25,000 a year, after all they just need to point a spotlight and shoot presumably. That's $275,000,000 in wages a year. Plus 401k, benefits, etc... let's call it a cool $300,000,000 a year.

This is my point. Whether it's right or wrong to deport them is completely irrelevant. It's logistically impossible, not to mention obscenely expensive, to deport all illegals. I find myself in the rare position of agreeing with Bush on something - it's much better to make it easier for them to come here legally and pay taxes, than to kick them all out and enforce the borders against future breach. It's the humanitarian option, giving people dignity and the chance to provide for their family. It's the ideal capitalist option, opening a source of cheap labor to grow our economy (you think China wants to serve us forever - they want to be us). It's a win-win, ticking liberals' boxes as well as conservatives'. But it won't happen because democrats must always oppose republicans, even when the policy is more bleeding heart liberal than Hilary Clinton and Al Gore's love child. And republicans must oppose liberals, even when the policy could have been penned by a right-wing nut job.

Deleted

#19New Post! Aug 21, 2007 @ 00:46:27
I'm guessing I just killed this thread. Always seem to happen when I have one of my little 'moments'.
ugly_ducky On September 30, 2008

Jurassic Pond,
#20New Post! Aug 21, 2007 @ 01:51:29
@stumblinthrulife Said
If you expel the illegal immigrants, we will not get our $11,000 back each year. It'll probably cost more than that to seek out and mobilize 11,000,000 people, and then secure the borders (I mean really secure them, not just put up a fence) against more.

To put that 11,000,000 figure into context, that's nearly 20,000 Boeing 747s full of illegal immigrants. A full tank of fuel for 747 costs about $100,000. So that's $2 billion in fuel alone to remove all illegals from the USA. Then you have to track down, apprehend and process all of them before you even load them onto the plane. Let's say 1 man can apprehend 1,000 illegals a year (a farical figure, virtually impossible). That's 11,000 man-years of labor to apprehend them all. Let's say you're paying them $40,000 a year, very reasonable for skilled labor. That's another $440 million, and you still need to process them, and jail them while you're waiting for your 20,000 747s to be fueled up.

The length of the US border with Mexico is nearly 2,000 miles. The border with Canada is nearly 9,000 miles. So that's 11,000 miles of land border alone to secure. I can't even begin to estimate the cost of that, even if they just built a frakking great big wall. If you really want to be secure you need,what? An officer every mile? Every half mile? Every 100 yards? Let's say one per mile. Let's pay them $25,000 a year, after all they just need to point a spotlight and shoot presumably. That's $275,000,000 in wages a year. Plus 401k, benefits, etc... let's call it a cool $300,000,000 a year.

This is my point. Whether it's right or wrong to deport them is completely irrelevant. It's logistically impossible, not to mention obscenely expensive, to deport all illegals. I find myself in the rare position of agreeing with Bush on something - it's much better to make it easier for them to come here legally and pay taxes, than to kick them all out and enforce the borders against future breach. It's the humanitarian option, giving people dignity and the chance to provide for their family. It's the ideal capitalist option, opening a source of cheap labor to grow our economy (you think China wants to serve us forever - they want to be us). It's a win-win, ticking liberals' boxes as well as conservatives'. But it won't happen because democrats must always oppose republicans, even when the policy is more bleeding heart liberal than Hilary Clinton and Al Gore's love child. And republicans must oppose liberals, even when the policy could have been penned by a right-wing nut job.

Actually no you do not have to round up every single one of them for deportation. You make a concerted effort to go after some and then remove the incentives for them to return. You will find the rest of them leaving on their own. Eisenhower did that exact same thing and his plan was very successful as a result.
As for securing the border you do not need an officer every mile. You can invest in electronic surveillance of the border like with unmanned drones. You can allow the national guard to patrol the border but this time give them the power to arrest people because last time they were used they were in a support and administrative capacity only.
The illegal immigration problem can be dealt with and for cheaper than what illegal immigration is costing this nation. We just have to cut through the rhetoric and do it.

Jurassic Pond,
#21New Post! Aug 21, 2007 @ 01:54:06
@stumblinthrulife Said
Do you honestly think that if they lose those savings it wouldn't be reflected in the cost of goods?

I'm not saying whether it's right or wrong. All I'm trying to do is raise awareness that you can't expell over 10 million of the lowest paid workers in the country without it having a material effect on us all.

I am sure it would but the cost of goods go up regardless while wages remain artificially depressed do to this cheap labor.
I mean if you really think a head of lettuce is going to jump to $15 dollars then that is unrealistic and nothing more than scaremongering.

Deleted

, Minnesota
#22New Post! Aug 21, 2007 @ 02:01:14
@stumblinthrulife Said

Why would we have to deport them? Why not just pull the welcome mat out from underneath them?

1. Severely punish any company that employs an illegal immigrant. First offense they get a fine of $500,000. Second offense their company gets seized by the state and sold. That money can then be used to build a real wall at the border and pay for law enforcement agents to patrol it.

2. No more free education to that are born here by non-citizens.

3. No more free health care to illegal aliens.

4. Anyone born here should not be considered a citizen unless their birth parents are already a citizen.

That would be a decent start.

Deleted

, Minnesota
#23New Post! Aug 21, 2007 @ 02:02:26
@stumblinthrulife Said
I'm guessing I just killed this thread. Always seem to happen when I have one of my little 'moments'.

Your posts are like farting at the dinner table - everyone scatters!
lulu On September 08, 2007

pasadena, California
#24New Post! Aug 21, 2007 @ 02:31:33
Oh, everyone hasn't scattered. It's interesting to see what people think.

I hope that the tide of liberal sympathy for the "poor, downtrodden, oppressed in their own country," blah, blah, blah has turned.

Simply put, we cannot afford to take in every poor and oppressed person in the world...nor should we.

I know from personal experience that illegal immigration is a huge problem in Europe, as well.

Did you know there are more Indians OUTSIDE India than within the country?

What should happen?
v00003417 On August 22, 2007

, United States (general)
#25New Post! Aug 21, 2007 @ 11:19:16
@wildething Said
illegal immigrants founded america.
illegal in that the native americans certainly did not give them the legal right to live there.
now america is one of the strongest countries in the world.
so what did the founding fathers contribute?
lets not be so blinkered by bigotry here.

For one, illegal immigrants didn't found America. It was kind of a British thing. Britain had colonies and controlled America as part of England and all that. Also, the Founding Fathers (the big wigs like Washington) weren't the first people in America. They weren't the pilgrims who came over and took over the land. Finally, the Pilgrims (and England) didn't come into America the way illegal immigrants have; the Pilgrims completely destroyed the Indians and changed the place a "civilized" place, starting down the long path to being a country.

The two situations are very different and cannot be compared at all, if simply for the fact that the Pilgrims didn't try to live peacefully with the Indians, whereas illegal immigrants are trying to come into the society. There's also all the money stuff, too. That really makes it impossible to compare the two situations.

Deleted

#26New Post! Aug 21, 2007 @ 15:07:05
@ugly_ducky Said
I am sure it would but the cost of goods go up regardless while wages remain artificially depressed do to this cheap labor.
I mean if you really think a head of lettuce is going to jump to $15 dollars then that is unrealistic and nothing more than scaremongering.

Do not put words in my mouth. Nothing pisses me off more. I did not say $15 for a head of lettuce - you did.

I am not scaremongering. I am trying to bring some balance to the argument. People think that removing illegals from the US must be a good thing, after all, they are costing us all this money, right? My point is merely that there will be a huge economic impact to removing the illegals. That HAS to be taken into account before action is taken.

It's like so many things. It shouldn't have started in the first place. The borders should have been secure from day one. But they weren't, and now our society has integrated the illegal aliens and cheap labor into it's very being, and to rip them out could cause extreme pain to the economy. Maybe it won't, who knows? But surely we shouldn't just completely ignore the economic aspect in pursuit of an ideal?

Jurassic Pond,
#27New Post! Aug 21, 2007 @ 18:49:04
@stumblinthrulife Said
Do not put words in my mouth. Nothing pisses me off more. I did not say $15 for a head of lettuce - you did.

I am not scaremongering. I am trying to bring some balance to the argument. People think that removing illegals from the US must be a good thing, after all, they are costing us all this money, right? My point is merely that there will be a huge economic impact to removing the illegals. That HAS to be taken into account before action is taken.

It's like so many things. It shouldn't have started in the first place. The borders should have been secure from day one. But they weren't, and now our society has integrated the illegal aliens and cheap labor into it's very being, and to rip them out could cause extreme pain to the economy. Maybe it won't, who knows? But surely we shouldn't just completely ignore the economic aspect in pursuit of an ideal?

I never said there would not be an economic impact so don't you put words in my mouth.
In some of those links I supplied they discuss this. It talks about places in the US where illegals are not predominately filling the usual niches of jobs that people claim americans will not do and the price of goods and services have not jumped dramatically.

Deleted

#28New Post! Aug 21, 2007 @ 19:47:26
@ugly_ducky Said
I never said there would not be an economic impact so don't you put words in my mouth.
In some of those links I supplied they discuss this. It talks about places in the US where illegals are not predominately filling the usual niches of jobs that people claim americans will not do and the price of goods and services have not jumped dramatically.

I didn't put words in your mouth. At no point did I say what you had said or hadn't said.

I'm glad that in those places the cost of goods did not increase. Maybe that will be the case if we create a hostile (or at least uncomfortable) environment for illegal immigrants. I hope so, because I believe that if it is feasible something should be done about illegal immigration. All along my argument hasn't been "we should/shouldn't do this" it has been "but is it feasible?".

I also believe that at one and the same time, legal immigration opportunities should be widened to allow, with control, people to provide services for us in order to support their families. It opens a valuable pool of unskilled labor, and provides a dignified alternative to charity.

What are your views on guest worker programs and controlled immigration?
lulu On September 08, 2007

pasadena, California
#29New Post! Aug 21, 2007 @ 21:41:18
Guest workers and LEGAL immigration are a different issue. The problem is that it takes a long time to do it legally and these people would rather just defy Federal laws and come now. I have a British friend who's tried to immigrate for years and it's very difficult.

Personally, I'd rather see immigration controlled. California population growth is out of control and we WILL run out of resources before too much longer.

Sadly, I see a day when we're all on a "one-child" system, like the Chinese.

Jurassic Pond,
#30New Post! Aug 22, 2007 @ 00:22:02
@stumblinthrulife Said
I didn't put words in your mouth. At no point did I say what you had said or hadn't said.

I'm glad that in those places the cost of goods did not increase. Maybe that will be the case if we create a hostile (or at least uncomfortable) environment for illegal immigrants. I hope so, because I believe that if it is feasible something should be done about illegal immigration. All along my argument hasn't been "we should/shouldn't do this" it has been "but is it feasible?".

I also believe that at one and the same time, legal immigration opportunities should be widened to allow, with control, people to provide services for us in order to support their families. It opens a valuable pool of unskilled labor, and provides a dignified alternative to charity.

What are your views on guest worker programs and controlled immigration?

I have no problem with guest worker programs if they are actually needed and not used as a way to cut out legal immigrants and Americans from jobs.
Controlled immigration is what we are supposed to have. I have no problems at all with legal immigration. I am an immigrant myself. My aunt and uncle adopted me and brought me to the US when I was 10 years old legally. Legal immigration and illegal immigration are two completely different things.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: << · 1 2

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Politics Forum - Some Rudeness Allowed

Subscribe to topic prefs