Chavez seeks end to term limits

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: << · 1 2
ugly_ducky On September 30, 2008

Jurassic Pond,
#16New Post! Aug 13, 2007 @ 20:58:33
@xphile2868 Said
How is he a dictator when he has majority support, unlike Bush?

It does not matter how much support he has. The man now completely controls the media in his nation and now he is trying to change the constitution so he can remain in power forever. Nobody should have that much power even if they had the support of the people.
One can become a dictator either by force of arms or by suckering the people into making you dictator. Either way, in the end you have a dictatorship.
raditz8526 On July 02, 2009

Deleted

, Minnesota
#17New Post! Aug 13, 2007 @ 21:00:42
@ugly_ducky Said
It does not matter how much support he has. The man now completely controls the media in his nation and now he is trying to change the constitution so he can remain in power forever. Nobody should have that much power even if they had the support of the people.
One can become a dictator either by force of arms or by suckering the people into making you dictator. Either way, in the end you have a dictatorship.

Didn't Saddam have 100% of the vote. lol
politics On September 10, 2013

London`, United Kingdom
#18New Post! Aug 21, 2007 @ 00:50:14
if u support democracy and power to the people and if the ppl do really support him why not?
stumblinthrulife On April 16, 2008

Deleted

Lake Saint Louis, Missouri
#19New Post! Aug 21, 2007 @ 00:53:22
@politics Said
if u support democracy and power to the people and if the ppl do really support him why not?

Because even if the country overwhelmingly votes to extend term limits, it's still undemocratic as it removes the choice of future generations, not yet able to vote, to remove him from office.

Also, where is the incentive for a "ruler for life" to work in the interests of his country and people?

London`, United Kingdom
#20New Post! Aug 21, 2007 @ 00:54:08
@raditz8526 Said
Didn't Saddam have 100% of the vote. lol

its different because saddam did not get voted into power he took power, chavez was supported by the ppl, and saddam was ruling with fear, chavez is supported and is ruling for his ppl.

London`, United Kingdom
#21New Post! Aug 21, 2007 @ 00:56:25
@ugly_ducky Said

control of the media and an atempt to reform the constitution is not a dictatorship a dictatorship works against the ppls support.
angelcake On January 18, 2016
Say whaaa

Eastleigh, United Kingdom
#22New Post! Aug 21, 2007 @ 00:59:50
@thebear Said
I figure it's up to his countrymen to figure that out.

It's not up to anyone else to go in and impose and inflict what they think democracy is on anyone else.

here here

Deleted

#23New Post! Aug 21, 2007 @ 01:04:35
@thebear Said
I figure it's up to his countrymen to figure that out.

It's not up to anyone else to go in and impose and inflict what they think democracy is on anyone else.

I'd disagree. We live in a "global village" - China (or in this case Venezuala) get's a cold, and the US sneezes. The interdependancies of the world mean that we can ill afford another dictatorship, especially in a country full of oil.

Yes, yes, to all of you that will now flame the crap out of me. It has something to do with oil. But that doesn't mean it's all about oil. Don't be so naive as to think that any foreign policy ever has a single driving force.

Deleted

#24New Post! Aug 21, 2007 @ 01:19:37
@politics Said
control of the media and an atempt to reform the constitution is not a dictatorship a dictatorship works against the ppls support.

Actually, the definition of dictator is -

1. a country, government, or the form of government in which absolute power is exercised by a dictator.
2. absolute, imperious, or overbearing power or control.
3. the office or position held by a dictator.

No mention of working against the people. The people could love him, and he could still be a dictator.

Note that I don't think that what he doing necessarily makes him a dictator. He could continue to be a benevolent ruler (he's done a lot for Venezuela thus far). It's just a damn good start down that path.
kevin4938 On August 15, 2009

Toronto, Canada
#26New Post! Aug 21, 2007 @ 02:27:44
@xphile2868 Said
How is he a dictator when he has majority support, unlike Bush?

@stumblinthrulife Said

Whether we like it or not, Bush won the popular vote in 2004. Continuing to roll out this tired line does not help the image of the democratic party.

If you look at the math and the definitions, there is a difference between winning the popular vote and having majority support. I don't know the numbers off the top of my head, but what Bush won in 2004 was a PLURALITY, not a majority. He may have won the popular vote (alleged irregularities in Florida notwithstanding), but he did not win a MAJORITY (i.e. 50% of all votes cast, plus 1 vote).
raditz8526 On July 02, 2009

Deleted

, Minnesota
#27New Post! Aug 21, 2007 @ 02:34:45
@kevin4938 Said
If you look at the math and the definitions, there is a difference between winning the popular vote and having majority support. I don't know the numbers off the top of my head, but what Bush won in 2004 was a PLURALITY, not a majority. He may have won the popular vote (alleged irregularities in Florida notwithstanding), but he did not win a MAJORITY (i.e. 50% of all votes cast, plus 1 vote).

He received 50.7% of the vote in 2004 and Kerry received 48.3% of the votes. How did he NOT have a majority?

Deleted

#28New Post! Aug 21, 2007 @ 14:21:24
@kevin4938 Said

So I take it you did not actually look at the popular vote result of the 2004 election, and instead continued to listen to the rhetoric from the 2000 election and assume it was true for 2004 also.

Bush won the popular vote in 2004, and no matter how much you don't like it, you can't change that fact.

London`, United Kingdom
#29New Post! Aug 23, 2007 @ 18:13:00
@stumblinthrulife Said
Actually, the definition of dictator is -

1. a country, government, or the form of government in which absolute power is exercised by a dictator.
2. absolute, imperious, or overbearing power or control.
3. the office or position held by a dictator.

No mention of working against the people. The people could love him, and he could still be a dictator.

Note that I don't think that what he doing necessarily makes him a dictator. He could continue to be a benevolent ruler (he's done a lot for Venezuela thus far). It's just a damn good start down that path.

u missed a vital part my freind

,A government in which political power is exercised by a single individual whose rule is considered ILLEGITIMATE.

The fact that its illegitimate curves towards the idea that he is working against the ppls will, or he just didnt take any consideration of the ppls views or wants.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: << · 1 2

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Politics Forum - Some Rudeness Allowed

Subscribe to topic prefs