Religion & Philosophy

Children don't belong to religion

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: << · 1 2 3 ...5 6 7
tchgal On November 09, 2008

, Virginia
#91New Post! Aug 07, 2007 @ 00:36:59
I think that parents dictating what the religious beliefs of the family are up until a point is the right thing to do. Up until they are 10 or so, kids don't really understand a whole lot of complicated stuff like religion. At that point, parents should begin to talk to their children about their religion. Eventually they should be told that they don't have to believe everything, and that when they are older they can have their own religious beliefs. That's the way it is in my house. My mom's family is Catholic, my dad is Presbyterian. I was baptized a Catholic and that is what I still am. My mom said that I could choose which religion once I was older. However, now that I'm Catholic that is what I will be because that is how I got started as a baby. I don't mind that choice, but I will never know what it would be like to be Presbyterian.
thefourfoldroot On March 02, 2008

London, United Kingdom
#92New Post! Aug 07, 2007 @ 00:48:08
You may be able to choose which faith based philosophy to follow, but it is still faith based. Even if your family had said you needn't have a religion, the process through which you are able to support irrational constructs has already been established at a young age. I view this as a negative, many don't.
angelcake On January 18, 2016
Say whaaa

Eastleigh, United Kingdom
#93New Post! Aug 07, 2007 @ 00:51:24
@thefourfoldroot Said
You may be able to choose which faith based philosophy to follow, but it is still faith based. Even if your family had said you needn't have a religion, the process through which you are able to support irrational constructs has already been established at a young age. I view this as a negative, many don't.

i think you'll find a lot of religious views ARENT that irrational. General things like not stealing, not killing, not cheating, respecting your parents, respecting and showing compassion for the people around you, and not lying are pretty nice things and if soceity did those then there would be a much happier country.

London, United Kingdom
#94New Post! Aug 07, 2007 @ 00:55:18
Angelcake. Yes, but the reason is an irrational 'because God said/says so. These morals are better taught through empathy than ritual, don't you agree
Say whaaa

#95New Post! Aug 07, 2007 @ 00:58:36
@thefourfoldroot Said
Angelcake. Yes, but the reason is an irrational 'because God said/says so. These morals are better taught through empathy than ritual, don't you agree

does it matter either way?! as soon as they're old enough they can make teh decision to believe or not. and it's not all about coz god said so. I mean what I just listed off were about 6 of the 10 commandements. I think it's easier for a small child to grasp the concept of they've been told to do it so they will rather than explain what it means to other people. That comes with reasoning and examples. Life experience. at least they're being taught it.

London, United Kingdom
#96New Post! Aug 07, 2007 @ 01:00:53
But a kid will understand being 'told so' by a parent more easily than they would being told by a being that is almost impossible to understand by definition
Say whaaa

#97New Post! Aug 07, 2007 @ 01:01:42
@thefourfoldroot Said
But a kid will understand being 'told so' by a parent more easily than they would being told by a being that is almost impossible to understand by definition

children get the concept of god.

London, United Kingdom
#98New Post! Aug 07, 2007 @ 01:11:13
If they understand the concept of the authority figure (which is evolutionarily advantages, so i understand they do), why muddle this with further abstract thinking. Why make it depedant on what children view as a person, it is natural for them to think people change thre minds after all (and God knows he seems to with every new generation)

London, United Kingdom
#99New Post! Aug 07, 2007 @ 01:13:38
Didn't mean that. Can you delete repeated posts?
alexkidd On February 07, 2012
Captain Awesome!

Deleted

in a bog, Ireland
#100New Post! Aug 07, 2007 @ 01:17:50
children belong to their parents,
not so much as property but as responsibility.

they can be thought whatever the parent wishes.
thats the way it is.

i'm reluctant to interfere in that,
if we lived in a strict religious state i would wish to teach my children my beliefs.

London, United Kingdom
#101New Post! Aug 07, 2007 @ 01:26:53
Itend to agree. As much as i wish children where indoctrinated into a less faith based culture; culture is always a process of indoctrination. Better that this is done by the family to increase the chance of variance, than by government for example, which would seek to make laws. Culture needs to be able to adapt...but please adapt away from the selfishly irrational (selfish in motive, not effect)
buffalobill90 On July 12, 2013