Random

The simple Life

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
WildChild On February 16, 2013
Perv Magnet

Southern Middle, Tennessee
#1New Post! Jul 17, 2007 @ 01:02:15
I love the technology of today , don't get me wrong but there are still times when I yearn for the simple times in life. When there were no computers in the home ( but OMG I'd go nuts now) thing is we did'nt know any better back then. Cell phones were something we knew nothing about ( I'd be lost without that too). Video games consisted of little ghost chasing a little yellow man around while he's chomping up dots ( man I loved that game).

I know that I as much as anyone else would be like a fish out of water without many of these things but sometimes I just wish things were simple again. When I was growing up , family was the most important thing to us. We did'nt have computer, cell phones, ipods or games to keep us occupied so we actually connected with each other. I guess it's funny to some but all of us kids used to look forward to 6 pm on Saturday night , we'd all gather around in the living room and watch Hee Haw on tv drinking red coolaid and eating popcorn that mom popped on top of the stove because we did'nt have a microwave at the time , in fact I don't think anyone had a microwave at that time.

It almost saddens me when I think that my kids can't associate with that. They've alway had a microwave , video games , and other devices to keep them busy.

If you think about it life was really simple back them , as nice as cell phones are today there's nothing like going camping for a week knowing that you won't be botherd by the ringing of a phone.

I know we can't go back to that simple way of life and I'm glad that we can't but it's nice to take a walk down memory lane every now and again huh?

I sometimes laugh at the tourist here when they say "where's your wal-mart? ( ugh 25 miles that way)

Do you have a car wash close by? (giggle) (28 miles up the road)

I guess I have it pretty good though I live in a small town in the mountains that everyone loves and I can get away from the hustle and bustle of the city but still drive a few miles and find all of today's technology.

Just thinking I guess
ccstar On September 29, 2020

, Ohio
#2New Post! Jul 17, 2007 @ 01:39:10
I have a handfull of technology. Games of course!
DS, Nintendeo 64', laptop, esc. Gotta beat all them games, but I like to just put them away and read a book or go for a walk. 8)
Forget_About_Me On June 22, 2014
Victory is mine!

, Canada
#3New Post! Jul 17, 2007 @ 01:43:52
I remember when we had that blackout a few years ago. It was so weird not being able to use the lights or the computer or anything. But it was also nice though at the same time, peaceful. I remember sitting out on the balcony and the sky looked so much prettier without all the street lights and s*** blocking it. It's amazing what a difference that can make.
semi_precious_stone On June 23, 2019

, United Kingdom
#4New Post! Jul 17, 2007 @ 01:45:42
I grew up without a tv, which my friends all thought was really strange, but I still can't be bothered with it. I wish I had never got a mobile, but it is often my only source of contact with my parents and brother, so I wouldn't give it up now.
I sometimes have anti - tech days, where I leave the phone behind and don't go on the computer all day etc... and I do enjoy these days, but I probably because I have the knowledge that the technology is there if I need it!
unspokenwords On October 16, 2019

#5New Post! Jul 17, 2007 @ 02:06:09
Yeah I agree, while time progresses it's only going to get more advanced, I remember those days me and my friends would record music videos on tv, watch them all over and eat popcorn, or even with cassettes. I think sometimes we all have to remember our priorities in life, taking everything in. Funny thing you mention this, today I saw the movie 'click' reminding me whats most important in life. I wish I could go back sometimes but I also appreciate what I have also.

, United Kingdom
#6New Post! Jul 17, 2007 @ 02:10:40
@unspokenwords Said
Yeah I agree, while time progresses it's only going to get more advanced, I remember those days me and my friends would record music videos on tv, watch them all over and eat popcorn, or even with cassettes. I think sometimes we all have to remember our priorities in life, taking everything in. Funny thing you mention this, today I saw the movie 'click' reminding me whats most important in life. I wish I could go back sometimes but I also appreciate what I have also.

I would like to state that I cassettes... I mean ok, they sound better, but if you scratch a cd its f**ked, but with a casette, the tape could come out countless times, and all you had to do was sit there with a fork and wind it back in.... genius!
Hmph.... advancement my a**
unspokenwords On October 16, 2019

#7New Post! Jul 17, 2007 @ 02:37:11
@semi_precious_stone Said
I would like to state that I cassettes... I mean ok, they sound better, but if you scratch a cd its f**ked, but with a casette, the tape could come out countless times, and all you had to do was sit there with a fork and wind it back in.... genius!

true, I haven't used one in years and years.. if they could make them where you go by tracks without the fast forward and rewind then I'm all for it..
mosthauntedlover On March 18, 2016

My House, Ohio
#8New Post! Jul 17, 2007 @ 02:42:27
I remember once when my older brother was about 10 and I was about 7 he was playing some video game and my mom was watching him. Well, he turns to my mom and says "You know mom, it must have stunk for you when you were younger because you didn't have any video games or anything." My mom said "No, I feel sorry for you kids now because that's all you ever do is play video games. When I was a kid we were outside playing from when we woke up to lunch, back out until dinner and we always had a GREAT time!"

, United Kingdom
#9New Post! Jul 17, 2007 @ 02:46:52
@unspokenwords Said
true, I haven't used one in years and years.. if they could make them where you go by tracks without the fast forward and rewind then I'm all for it..

I'm guessing thats why they made mp3 players... take out the scrathability but leave the track skippage!
mosthauntedlover On March 18, 2016

My House, Ohio
#10New Post! Jul 17, 2007 @ 02:50:17
@semi_precious_stone Said

You're definitely right about that! Too bad they don't make cassettes anymore because I have a cassette player in my car and I would love to listen to things other than the radio.
annski729 On July 24, 2016

, United States (general)
#11New Post! Jul 17, 2007 @ 05:23:51
I can't imagine not going somewhere without a cell phone. I hardly use it, in fact I ignore it most of hte time, but it's nice knowing it's there if I need it for emergencies and such.

And yeah we had a huge blackout here a few years ago, and it was kinda nice almost. I mean, I missed the a/c but I don't think I had ever seen that many stars at night
treebee On April 13, 2015
Government Hooker

London, United Kingdom
#12New Post! Jul 17, 2007 @ 11:00:05
I seriously miss those days, i guess we are lucky Mickey to know what life was like. When the store was closed, when only a few people had a telephone and not every home had a car. We didnt even have a TV for a huge chunk of my childhood.

How many people sit down and play old fashioned games as a family any more?

We seem to be loosing our ability to entertain ourselves. Its interesting when people are in these reality tv shows and left to thier own devices. Of course they manage and they invent some sort of game to entertain themselves.

Im taking the kids camping next month. Its absolutely valuable experience to learn how to cope without electricity.

I remember camping with the sunday school and the only music we had was where someone would bring a guitar and sing. Can you imagine life without the mp3, the i-pod, the radio? where the only music you hear for 14 days is hymns and folk songs? We didnt even have hot water, it was a tap in a field. Did me no harm.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs