The Forum Site - Join the conversation
Forums:
Politics

Innocent until proven guilty - do u really believe it?

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
20questions On September 03, 2008

sydney, Australia
#1New Post! May 11, 2007 @ 00:52:19
I was just wondering whether people really believe in the concept of innocent until proven guilty.

The reason I?m asking, is because over here in Australia the leading muslim leader was accused of funding terrorism. When the accusation first came out, it was on the front-page of the newspaper for a whole week. The initial accusation led the Australian Federal Police to launch an investigation.

The police recently concluded their investigation and found no evidence of this guy funding terrorists. However, despite the fact the guy was cleared a lot of people I know still believe he is guilty.

So, it got my wondering, when we say innocent until proven guilty, do we really mean it? Or in reality is it more a case of guilty until proven innocent?
decoy25 On August 25, 2011

Washington, District of Columb
#2New Post! May 11, 2007 @ 00:54:24
Innocent until proven guilty is just a safe word to make sure they are not slandering someone until evidence and trial proves them guilty. It makes sense too because if police officers where just declaring somebody guilty of something instantly before having any evidence to back up that they did it well like I said before it would then become a case of slander.
jeanettesianrachel On September 16, 2016

Medway, United Kingdom
#3New Post! May 11, 2007 @ 00:57:40
i dont know i havnt really thought about it but in the cases of child abuse or murder,than it should be guilty untill proven,but then saying that i think the system has enough evidence to back this up.

sydney, Australia
#4New Post! May 11, 2007 @ 01:03:15
@decoy25 Said
Innocent until proven guilty is just a safe word to make sure they are not slandering someone until evidence and trial proves them guilty. It makes sense too because if police officers where just declaring somebody guilty of something instantly before having any evidence to back up that they did it well like I said before it would then become a case of slander.

i get what ur saying, but in this case it didn't even get to trial, the guy wasn't even charged.

the news made the allegation, which prompted the police to investigate, the police found no evidence so they didn't charge him.

i think it is a case of slander, and the guy should sue.
decoy25 On August 25, 2011

Washington, District of Columb
#5New Post! May 11, 2007 @ 01:14:08
@20questions Said
i get what ur saying, but in this case it didn't even get to trial, the guy wasn't even charged.

the news made the allegation, which prompted the police to investigate, the police found no evidence so they didn't charge him.

i think it is a case of slander, and the guy should sue.

Yea the news screwed up on that one it sounds like but hell they do that alot to get a rise out of the audience that likes to watch. Getting something fully factual nowadays from a news sorce is sorta hard and well stuff like that is bound to happen. He could sue don't know how much that would help him but I can't see why he wouldn't win if the news actually broadcasted the slanderous remarks made against him. You can also tell the whole muslim linking to terrrorist feel on this one and since he was a leader of a pro muslim group he got picked on as the one to go after.
jonnythan On August 02, 2014
Bringer of rad mirth

Deleted

Here and there,
#6New Post! May 11, 2007 @ 01:15:45
People can choose to believe whatever they want to believe.

Innocent until proven guilty refers to the legal system. The government cannot punish someone or treat them as though they have been convicted of a crime until they are convicted of a crime.
negasable On August 05, 2008

Deleted

West Side, California
#7New Post! May 11, 2007 @ 01:15:55
@20questions Said
I was just wondering whether people really believe in the concept of innocent until proven guilty.

The reason I?m asking, is because over here in Australia the leading muslim leader was accused of funding terrorism. When the accusation first came out, it was on the front-page of the newspaper for a whole week. The initial accusation led the Australian Federal Police to launch an investigation.

The police recently concluded their investigation and found no evidence of this guy funding terrorists. However, despite the fact the guy was cleared a lot of people I know still believe he is guilty.

So, it got my wondering, when we say innocent until proven guilty, do we really mean it? Or in reality is it more a case of guilty until proven innocent?

That's bad oll family racism.

sydney, Australia
#8New Post! May 11, 2007 @ 01:16:46
true, the news isn't always factual these days, it seems the only news that is reliable is the Daily Show and the Colbert Report.
rosewillow On July 19, 2015

Deleted

, New Zealand
#9New Post! May 11, 2007 @ 01:19:20
@jonnythan Said
People can choose to believe whatever they want to believe.

Innocent until proven guilty refers to the legal system. The government cannot punish someone or treat them as though they have been convicted of a crime until they are convicted of a crime.

Isnt it the reverse in some other countries? The accused has to prove their innocence? Or am I deluded?

sydney, Australia
#10New Post! May 11, 2007 @ 01:22:32
@rosewillow Said
Isnt it the reverse in some other countries? The accused has to prove their innocence? Or am I deluded?

well, if ur talking about Africa, South America and the Middle East, ur probably right.

but i'm talking about Australia here.
rosewillow On July 19, 2015

Deleted

, New Zealand
#11New Post! May 11, 2007 @ 01:26:40
I believe in innocent until proven guilty but then I am a studying to be forensic scientist.

I do think that for some people its a hard thing for them to believe in.

The media so often jumps the gun and makes the public believe the accused is guilty before it has been proven and because the majority of the public don't know any better they just go along with it.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Politics Forum - Some Rudeness Allowed

Subscribe to topic prefs