Forums: Art & Literature:
Architecture

The great wall of china's history

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
jsull17 On July 25, 2008

Brisbane, Australia
#1New Post! May 10, 2007 @ 06:04:37
The Chinese were already familiar with the techniques of wall-building by the time of the Spring and Autumn Period, which began around 8th century BC. During the Warring States Period from 5th century BC to 221 BC, the states of Qi, Yan and Zhao all constructed extensive fortifications to defend their own borders. Built to withstand the attack of small arms such as swords and spears, these walls were mostly made by stamping earth and gravel between board frames.

Qin Shi Huang conquered all opposing states and unified China in 221 BC, establishing the Qin Dynasty. Intending to impose centralized rule and prevent the resurgence of feudal lords, he ordered the destruction of the wall sections that divided his empire along the former state borders. To protect the empire against intrusions by the Xiongnu people from the north, he ordered the building of a new wall to connect the remaining fortifications along the empire's new northern frontier. Transporting the large quantity of materials required for construction was difficult, so builders always tried to use local resources. Stones from the mountains were used over mountain ranges, while rammed earth was used for construction in the plains. There are no surviving historical records indicating the exact length and course of the Qin Dynasty walls. Most of the ancient walls have eroded away over the centuries, and very few sections remain today. Later, the Han, Sui, Northern and Jin dynasties all repaired, rebuilt, or expanded sections of the Great Wall at great cost to defend themselves against northern invaders.

The Great Wall concept was revived again during the Ming Dynasty following the Ming army's defeat by the Mongols in the Battle of Tumu in 1449. The Ming had failed to gain a clear upper-hand over the Mongols after successive battles, and the long-drawn conflict was taking a toll on the empire. The Ming adopted a new strategy to keep the Mongols out by constructing walls along the northern border of China. Acknowledging the Mongol control established in the Ordos Desert, the wall followed the desert's southern edge instead of incorporating the bend of the Huang He.

Unlike the earlier Qin fortifications, the Ming construction was stronger and more elaborate due to the use of bricks and stone instead of rammed earth. As Mongol raids continued periodically over the years, the Ming devoted considerable resources to repair and reinforce the walls. Sections near the Ming capital of Beijing were especially strengthened.

Towards the end of the Ming Dynasty, the Great Wall helped defend the empire against the Manchu invasions that began around 1600. Under the military command of Yuan Chonghuan, the Ming army held off the Manchus at the heavily fortified Shanhai Pass, preventing the Manchus from entering the Liaodong Peninsula and the Chinese heartland. The Manchus were finally able to cross the Great Wall in 1644, when the gates of Shanhai Pass were opened by Wu Sangui, a rebel Ming border general. The Manchus quickly seized Beijing, and subsequently defeated the remaining Ming resistance to establish the Qing Dynasty.

Under Qing rule China's borders extended beyond the walls and Mongolia was annexed into the empire so construction and repairs on the Great Wall were discontinued.
pinksparklystars On October 08, 2015

Austin, Texas
#2New Post! May 10, 2007 @ 07:43:27
i would like to go see the great wall before i die, i would be interesting but i am not that excited about walking it. lol
tacorat On July 05, 2009

Shanghai, China
#3New Post! Dec 09, 2007 @ 13:15:29
The first time i saw it for real, It is simply stunning.

1 : Egypt's pyramids
2 : India's Taj mahal
3 ; the Chinese great wall

There is a modern version of the great wall called the great firewall of China
and the modern Mongols are called proxies
n_ta5ya_d On August 21, 2010

Jakarta, Indonesia
#4New Post! Dec 25, 2007 @ 01:22:57
Well, I've never gone to see it, but I guess it's stunning, from the pictures taken of it, but seeing the pictures just isn't enough.
magus On October 12, 2010

Anchorage, Alaska
#5New Post! Apr 23, 2008 @ 04:17:29
chanel held a fashion show there... i wonder wear the models changed!

it was in february's issue of us elle! know your homework!
kirkhamettesp On July 27, 2008

Deleted

Leeds, United Kingdom
#6New Post! May 04, 2008 @ 14:51:18
I think that the great wall of china is really good i like the fact that you can see it from space thats pretty amazing.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs