Forums:
Health & Fitness

Ingrown Toenail?

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
xphile2868 On July 01, 2015

Preston, United Kingdom
#1New Post! Apr 13, 2007 @ 20:11:57
On the big toe of my left foot there is a slight swelling on the left-hand side, although its not huge. Its been there for a few days and I'm worried if its a ingrown toenail or not. I haven't cut my toenails for a few months, and my slippers and trainers are a bit tight, so I think (and my dad as well) that it may just be because of the shoe rubbing agaisnt my toes. It is slightly sore, especially when I touch it, and for the past two days I've hardly worn anything on my feet, but this hasn't had any apparent effect on the swelling.

Anyone know whats wrong and what I should do about it? I don't really want to go to the doctors just yet, beacuse I don't think its at all serious, although I am anxious about it.
lovebyelise On June 12, 2007

Troy, Alabama
#2New Post! Apr 13, 2007 @ 20:22:31
I usually cut mine out with a knife and some toe nail clippers. It's sounds painful but as soon as you get it out it's INSTANT relief!
negasable On August 05, 2008

Deleted

West Side, California
#3New Post! Apr 13, 2007 @ 20:27:40
Yeah. Just be sure next time you take care.
annski729 On July 24, 2016

, United States (general)
#4New Post! Apr 13, 2007 @ 20:50:40
Have you tried soaking your foot in warm water? I think you're supposed to put a piece of cotton under there too, but I always had difficulty doing this and it sounds really painful

If you do decide to go to the doctor's they can cut it with a special tool. When I had it done it was quick and painless and I felt instant relief.

I kept having problems after though, and had to have the minor surgery on it.

Anyway I would go to the doctor's if it doesn't get better in the next day or two. Why suffer when you don't have to?
USA On May 25, 2020

Chicago, Illinois
#5New Post! Apr 13, 2007 @ 21:00:30
Doctors always try the path that is not surgical. That red area is a swelling that usually comes with an ingrown toenail. I can?t tell for sure, but I also think you?ll have a surgical removal of ingrown toenail. Don?t worry- this is not a big operation- it lasts only 1 hour and you are given a local anesthesia The operation is not painful- the most painful part is the injection of the local anesthetic, since injections into toes or fingers are painful due to the tight skin and many nerve endings.
The procedure will last less than a hour. The doctor will put nail up and cut along the toe?s edge, where the skin is growing into the skin and that way remove your nail. Doctor shall maybe use a chemical to prevent the nail from growing back in the same area. Don?t worry for the toe- another one will grow in a two months period.
You shall need a ride home! After you come home and when local anesthesia abate it might hurt, but if you lift your leg or at least put it at the same high as your sitting/ lying body it should stop. Otherwise use analgetic, which will relieve pain and that must help! I am certain you?ll be given antibiotics in order to reduce possibility of infection. After the surgery you shall have to do the dressing for about two weeks? the stitches shall be removed after 10 days and 2 weeks after the operation you are not supposed to do any strenuous activities or at least limit them. You are not supposed to wear uncomfortable shoes. In the future trim your toenails straight across and do not pick or tear at them, since that may increase the possibility of an ingrown toenail again.
I also had Ingrown toenail removal and it is not painful and in a few days you?ll be completely on your feet.
Good luck!
paramour On July 30, 2014

Purgatory Beach,
#6New Post! Apr 13, 2007 @ 21:43:42
@annski729 Said
Have you tried soaking your foot in warm water? I think you're supposed to put a piece of cotton under there too, but I always had difficulty doing this and it sounds really painful

If you do decide to go to the doctor's they can cut it with a special tool. When I had it done it was quick and painless and I felt instant relief.

I kept having problems after though, and had to have the minor surgery on it.

Anyway I would go to the doctor's if it doesn't get better in the next day or two. Why suffer when you don't have to?

Use cotton GAUZE--makes this much easier to do. Lift the toenail up, slip the gauze under, wrap it with something, and then try to keep your shoe off that foot or wear a shoe/sandal with no toes to prevent it from rubbing against your toe. I did this for about a week and never had a problem with it since. No trips to the doc either.

On the other hand, my brother gets ingrown toenails constantly--he rips the whole darned thing off every few months or so. My sister has one that's absolutely horrific looking and she should be going to the doc but for some silly reason, the parents aren't taking her I swear they're going to need to amputate her toe one of these days.

EDITED to add: Oh, yeah, do as annie said and soak your foot in warm water w/ some epsom salts before doing the gauze thingy.
annski729 On July 24, 2016

, United States (general)
#7New Post! Apr 13, 2007 @ 22:08:32
I couldn't get gauze under there either. I'm a big baby
undergroundpunk On December 17, 2010

Las Vegas, Nevada
#8New Post! Apr 13, 2007 @ 23:26:05
Rap one toe in gauze, Take a knife and cut just below the joint.
Lili On July 12, 2019

Sunshine Land,
#9New Post! Apr 14, 2007 @ 01:22:25
@undergroundpunk Said
Rap one toe in gauze, Take a knife and cut just below the joint.

Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs