The Forum Site - Join the conversation
Forums:
Food & Drink

Can't eat food you hate; what do you do?

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
marcus On July 12, 2009

Banned

Membar, Liechtenstein
#1New Post! Apr 12, 2007 @ 13:04:26
Suppose that you're invited to a dinner party, and the hostess serves food that you just hate! Just thinking about it makes you feel sick. You look at it, and wonder how to get rid of it without actually eating it. There is no dog around to serve it to under the table, and you do not want to insult your hostess so you have to think of ways to eat it, or at least look like you are eating it!
Kinda cliche, huh? So, what do you do when you're in a such a situation?
angelcake On January 18, 2016
Say whaaa

Eastleigh, United Kingdom
#2New Post! Apr 12, 2007 @ 13:05:16
i dont eat it. lol i only ever do it with fish or seafood but i explain that there is no way on god's earth im eating and its nothing personal.
USA On May 25, 2020

Chicago, Illinois
#3New Post! Apr 12, 2007 @ 14:06:03
"1. Stare at the food you have to eat, and push it over so it does not touch any other food on the plate. Take a bite of something else, and with your fork, push the 'hated' food around, as if you are going eat it. While playing with it, think to yourself, "It isn't going to kill me."
2. Take a forkful of more food on your plate, and again, push around the 'dreaded' food so it looks like you have eaten some. Make sure that when you push it, the plate shows through so it looks like some of it is gone.
3. If the food is soft, try adding it to another soft food on your plate, so that you do not taste it as much.
4. If it is solid food, then add a condiment to kill the taste.
5. Try to seem as if you enjoying your meal, so your hostess will not be offended, but keep pushing the hated food around to look as if you are eating it.
6. If it is solid food, then cut it into very tiny pieces so you won't choke, then maybe pick up some potatoes with it, and chew it together so you won't taste it.
7. Don't breathe! It sounds silly but many studies suggest that a considerable portion (about 80%) of our sense of taste depends on our sense of smell. Just remember how dull some meals taste when you have a cold and a stuffy nose. Try not to smell the food and you should be fine. However, be prepared to experience the aftertaste when you finally do breathe through the nose.

Tips
You do not have to finish everything on your plate. When you feel you cannot stand another bite, then just push the plate slightly away from you, put the napkin on the plate and just sit till others finish.
If your hostess questions you, just tell her that you were not very hungry, but that it was delicious.

Warnings
Remember to chew your food well so that you do not choke." https://www.wikihow.com/Force-Yourself-to-Eat-Something-You-Hate
Pete On March 28, 2012
Master of Unlocking

Central Scotland, United Kingd
#4New Post! Apr 12, 2007 @ 14:09:58
i dont get invited to dinner parties very often, so i havent to worry
treebee On April 13, 2015
Government Hooker

London, United Kingdom
#5New Post! Apr 12, 2007 @ 15:08:03
Basically say that i cant eat it. I would apologise because they have gone to so much effort.

A good host/hostess always checks that stuff beforehand though
luxurious_princess On August 29, 2007

Deleted

In the lap of luxury,
#6New Post! Apr 15, 2007 @ 18:11:29
@marcus Said
Suppose that you're invited to a dinner party, and the hostess serves food that you just hate! Just thinking about it makes you feel sick. You look at it, and wonder how to get rid of it without actually eating it. There is no dog around to serve it to under the table, and you do not want to insult your hostess so you have to think of ways to eat it, or at least look like you are eating it!
Kinda cliche, huh? So, what do you do when you're in a such a situation?

I do have a book in my book case that tells how to handle such a situation with the utmost manners... when I get a chance, I can take a look to find the answer.
negasable On August 05, 2008

Deleted

West Side, California
#7New Post! Apr 15, 2007 @ 18:16:24
Say your alergic to their food. Or if its a meat dish say your a vegetarian or something.
nirvanachick On February 19, 2008

, New Jersey
#8New Post! Apr 15, 2007 @ 18:22:11
@usa Said

Don't breathe! It sounds silly but many studies suggest that a considerable portion (about 80%) of our sense of taste depends on our sense of smell. Just remember how dull some meals taste when you have a cold and a stuffy nose. Try not to smell the food and you should be fine. However, be prepared to experience the aftertaste when you finally do breathe through the nose.

yes, dont breathe...hold youre breath while chewing...works wonders for me
jonnythan On August 02, 2014
Bringer of rad mirth

Deleted

Here and there,
#9New Post! Apr 15, 2007 @ 18:23:59
I eat it anyway.

It's food, ferchrissakes. Be polite and eat it. Complement the hostess on it.

Unless you're actually allergic, then say that you're allergic, apologize, and complement the hostess on the wonderful preparation.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs