My Stats
United States
PLS: ? 50

ProfileJournalFriendsPostsPics

Activist News Network
Headlines from the front lines
Bastille day UK
July 18, 2000 @ 05:00:00 am
/ @ucl. ac.uk">f.diaz @ucl. ac.uk / - Briefly: about 50-70 activists - circuitously on trains - got themselves to a field in Surrey (nearest train station Staines about 15 minutes walk). About 10-20 cops following them all the way. ...

Briefly: about 50-70 activists - circuitously on trains - got themselves to a field in Surrey (nearest train station Staines about 15 minutes walk). About 10-20 cops following them all the way.

The field is the proposed site for an all-new womens prison. People ran along the roadside that runs by the field; about 30 cops - some in cars/vans some running as well - trying to second guess the activists' destination. One cop 'accidently' fell on a protester - who wasn't hurt. [got the cops photo and name/number] Activists were already there with tripods, and have roped of an area under a section 6/12? order declaring that "this is their home" and the line of rope cannot therefore be lawfully crossed. (Don't know the law exactly - but I think this is actually English Law). In the meantime the cops are obeying the law, except for a few minor transgressions - but are promptly being told to get to the other side of the rope. Surrey police are (as of 2pm) waiting for orders from higher up to decide what to do. [Because they are stupid.]

A 'camera policy' on site, but a few pictures were taken on the way through North London and on site by personnal permission were taken - which will hopefully develop OK.

People plan to stay for the weekend - they have told the cops this. And are setting up camp. Anarchist teapot is on the way.

There are to be two (more0 actions - one at the end of the weekend out there in surrey, and one in London. No details, obviously.

I think there are updates on a website hosted by veggies - so its at www.veggies/[something]/[something] etc - if you look you should be able to find it.

Quote | Reply

Quote | Reply