The Forum Site - Join the conversation
Forums: Random:
Rants & Raves

People giving out *very* personal info on social networking sites!

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
dolphinluver16 On June 19, 2008

Cincinnati, Ohio
#1New Post! Apr 05, 2007 @ 15:01:14
OK I'll admit it, I have a facebook. And I'm addicted. I love looking at all the profiles in my network. So the other day I was browsing and I came across TWO profiles, both males, who listed PHONE NUMBERS on their profile which was obviously public, or else I wouldn't have been able to see it. One guy gave out his home phone number and the other guy gave out his cell phone number. DO YOU KNOW WHAT I COULD HAVE DONE WITH THOSE PHONE NUMBERS? I didn't write them down because I don't mess with strangers, and honestly I can't even remember their names, but my point is EVERYBODY COULD SEE those numbers and had access to them! And I am very sure that in a regional network as large as ours is, there are several people there that are shall we say, not there to make friends! PEOPLE DON'T POST YOUR PHONE NUMBERS OR ADDRESS ON PUBLIC PROFILES! If you have to exchange them, do it through email!

I wrote a lengthy note on Internet Safety because I was so mad at what I saw. HOW STUPID!!!!

Don't get me wrong, I am definitely not a prude, nor do I advocate everybody being all polite and boring and that we don't speak of interesting things. All I am saying is that it is quite dangerous to post very personal things on a public profile! I mean if someone took it and took advantage of it, you could end up in a huge mess! I know it's Facebook, but do people have to be so STUPID?

Sorry about the rage, but it amazes me about how stupid some people can be!
jonnythan On August 02, 2014
Bringer of rad mirth

Deleted

Here and there,
#2New Post! Apr 05, 2007 @ 15:03:25
You know, they publish entire books with nothing but people's phone numbers in them.
marcus On July 12, 2009

Banned

Membar, Liechtenstein
#3New Post! Apr 05, 2007 @ 15:05:24
Prank call time!!! Woohoo! Have fun!

Cincinnati, Ohio
#4New Post! Apr 05, 2007 @ 15:05:46
@jonnythan Said
You know, they publish entire books with nothing but people's phone numbers in them.

True...
Bringer of rad mirth

Deleted

Here and there,
#5New Post! Apr 05, 2007 @ 15:07:55
@dolphinluver16 Said
True...

Those books even have full names with middle initials and addresses.

What is someone going to do? Find this random guy on Facebook, see his location and phone number, then.... um..... show up at their house?

Cincinnati, Ohio
#6New Post! Apr 05, 2007 @ 15:15:40
@jonnythan Said
Those books even have full names with middle initials and addresses.

What is someone going to do? Find this random guy on Facebook, see his location and phone number, then.... um..... show up at their house?

You never know. There ARE creeps online, possibly on this site. Ever heard of Myspace? There have been so many lawsuits because people give out information to people they think they know but really don't and they have gotten serieously hurt or killed! That's the problem. And it can happen on Facebook too. That is why it bothers me that people post phone numbers on a public site.

Why do you think most forums have warnings about posting information? It's a lot more serious than you think. Yes, most people won't do anything. But in our large region, there is bound to be a creep. Maybe he won't do anything, but he might. And you can't take that risk.

Most people I know only use phone books to look up business information. All though, since most companies have internet addresses, people will just go on the website now.
pinksparklystars On October 08, 2015

Austin, Texas
#7New Post! Apr 05, 2007 @ 15:18:44
@jonnythan Said

you know i never thought about that... it's pretty silly when you think about it, i guess the only difference is that this is with pictures
Bringer of rad mirth

Deleted

Here and there,
#8New Post! Apr 05, 2007 @ 15:20:46
@dolphinluver16 Said
Why do you think most forums have warnings about posting information?

Because people are needlessly paranoid.

@dolphinluver16 Said
Most people I know only use phone books to look up business information. All though, since most companies have internet addresses, people will just go on the website now.

I guess you don't know many creeps. If you know the guy's name and where he lives, you look up his phone number and address in the phone book if you want to find out where he lives or call him. That's how it's always been done.
Bringer of rad mirth

Deleted

Here and there,
#9New Post! Apr 05, 2007 @ 15:32:44
Allow me to elaborate a bit:

What is a problem is young girls forming intimate relationships online with people they do not know and then irresponsibly arranging to meet them in person.

What is not a problem is guys posting their cell phone numbers in FaceBook.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs