Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: << · 1 2
treebee On April 13, 2015
Government Hooker

London, United Kingdom
#16New Post! Mar 15, 2007 @ 08:32:02
@backinblack Said
I have a hard time accepting compliments as well. Does anyone here find it easy to accept a compliment??

I used to and then i learned all you have to do is say "thank you" you dont have to ellaborate on that, just thank them.

I dont think any of those apply to me. I have good self-esteem but its taken a very long time to get here and also age helps enormously.

When we are children we have all the self-esteem in the world, unless of course we arent in a loving secure home.

When we hit our teens it takes a nosedive, it comes up a little at the end and then early 20's it usually tumbles again. Even those who appear to be full of confidence and success doubt themselves.

To me, learning to build my self-esteem went hand in hand with caring less and less about what other people thought of me. It is about how happy i am with myself, not how other people see me.
catt35 On June 05, 2012

, Illinois
#17New Post! Mar 24, 2007 @ 09:43:55
I've always had low self-esteem...I've never liked my looks, my shyness, my inability to be perfect. I'm a good person, very kind hearted, generous, honest, etc. but there are more things, especially physical that I just hate about myself. My father abandoned me when I was six and before that for two years my parents did that thing...."Tell your dad he's an a*****e" and vice versa to me...really screwed me up. Then for the rest of my life, up until a few years ago when I decided to pretend my father was dead and stop trying any contact at all with him, he constantly put me down and a made promises that he never kept. So, basically my father was the first to kill my self esteem. It's a little better now that I'm old...lol...but not much.
mtristaa07 On April 27, 2008

Garland, Texas
#18New Post! May 19, 2007 @ 07:07:24
i have a bad self esteem. it was alright when i was younger.. when i started elementary school i always got made fun of for my physical attributes.. i was always called ugly growing up, all the way until about my tenth grade year, i quit getting insults, but i never got compliments or anything either, my mom also destroyed my self esteem. it was getting better, but sometimes i just get those people that say the right thing to make me feel like crap.
pinksparklystars On October 08, 2015

Austin, Texas
#19New Post! May 19, 2007 @ 14:46:20
@mtristaa07 Said
i have a bad self esteem. it was alright when i was younger.. when i started elementary school i always got made fun of for my physical attributes.. i was always called ugly growing up, all the way until about my tenth grade year, i quit getting insults, but i never got compliments or anything either, my mom also destroyed my self esteem. it was getting better, but sometimes i just get those people that say the right thing to make me feel like crap.

my mom had a huge factor in my self esteem, but now that i dont talk to her anymore i dont have to deal with those problems.

It has taken a lot of work to get me to where i am mentally, but i still have those days, were someone says something (joking or not) and it crushes me and i will drop back down.

But change for me was when i decided that peoples opinions didnt matter any longer. And i was awesome because i said i was, and if people didnt feel that way, well then they were not worth my time.
mtristaa07 On April 27, 2008

Garland, Texas
#20New Post! May 20, 2007 @ 11:09:52
@pinksparklystars Said
my mom had a huge factor in my self esteem, but now that i dont talk to her anymore i dont have to deal with those problems.

It has taken a lot of work to get me to where i am mentally, but i still have those days, were someone says something (joking or not) and it crushes me and i will drop back down.

But change for me was when i decided that peoples opinions didnt matter any longer. And i was awesome because i said i was, and if people didnt feel that way, well then they were not worth my time.

very good point.
tapper2 On February 28, 2010

Fresno, California
#21New Post! May 30, 2007 @ 02:01:21
What is self Esteem?is Self Esteem when to get your anger out?
pyrocat100 On December 08, 2008

Deleted

Santa Rosa, California
#22New Post! May 30, 2007 @ 02:08:14
@backinblack Said
Ok I got another question if anyone reads that and makes it all the way through. What makes you feel good about yourself. What makes you feel good about you? I am wondering especially like what another person does. What would someone say to make you feel good or what type of compliments or what things do you like a person to do. Show affection, give you gifts, compliment your look or clothes or what?

My artistic modem makes me feel good. My real friends also make me feel good, because they are friends who simply like me for me. I also like the fact that I'm psychotic and have a since of humor. I use to not be like this, in the long run I turned out rather fortunant I'd say. Now a days when someone puts me down I don't give a crap, because I know where I am needed and really cared for at.
sassysue On June 09, 2007

, Indiana
#23New Post! Jun 09, 2007 @ 23:29:41
Let's see...to address what you said about self esteem & parents: of course that's true. If your parents tell you you're ugly from the day you're born, then you're going to feel that way. But it isn't just what your parents tell you, it can be anyone that puts you down that will cause low self esteem. I had a friends mother tell me once that I would never be as pretty as her daughters and that has stuck with me FOR YEARS. I still to this day feel like maybe I'm not good enough or pretty enough for anyone...that just shows how that low self esteem seed can be planted by anyone.

I'm an impostor by the way
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: << · 1 2

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs