The Forum Site - Join the conversation
Forums: Local:
United Kingdom

Is the Union of Scotland and England at risk?

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: << · 1 2 3 4 5
brainfarmer On February 09, 2007

huddersfield, United Kingdom
#61New Post! Jan 16, 2007 @ 23:26:09
@jeff7 Said
three generations back

i find that really sad that after 3 generations you seem to believe you are scottish tho by you way of thinking you cant be classed as canadian unless you are an indigenous indian because its all about heritage.
angelcake On January 18, 2016
Say whaaa

Eastleigh, United Kingdom
#62New Post! Jan 16, 2007 @ 23:26:17
im scottish. I like being scottish...but im also welsh...and i like being welsh. doesnt mean im gonna campaign that they should be seperated because its A STUPID IDEA
jeff7 On March 11, 2019

, Canada
#63New Post! Jan 16, 2007 @ 23:31:48
you seem not to understand.
I didn't say I was Scottish, I said I am very proud to be of Scottish Ancestry as my Ancesters were Scottish.
That doesn't make me Scottish, but it does make me proud. Proud to have Scottish roots.
And thats not whats really sad here, whats sad is that you didn't fully understand, perhaps I wasn't clear enough.
brainfarmer On February 09, 2007

huddersfield, United Kingdom
#64New Post! Jan 16, 2007 @ 23:36:52
my roots are from were my family history began.
for if it weren't for my ancesters i wouldn't be here.

There is no such thing as a pretend Scotsman, you are or you are not.
You are what you are by the blood that flows in your veins, not from where you were born.
those are your words jeff if that isnt saying that by blood birth and heritage you are a scot then i must have misread it.
jeff7 On March 11, 2019

, Canada
#65New Post! Jan 16, 2007 @ 23:49:39
yes, correct.
perhaps you did misread it.
but I do understand what you are saying here.so I will clarify,
my roots are from where my family history began, this is true of anyone, but that doesn't mean that you are a native of that particular country. I use native here as meaning ones heritage, born of that particular country.
And yes I do have Scottish blood in my veins because of my Ancestry, which is also true.
If I have mis- spoke my meaning here I do apoligize.
Again I am not saying I am born a Scotsman, but I am very proud of my Scottish Ancestry.
dragonwars On July 30, 2009

Wellington, New Zealand
#66New Post! Jan 17, 2007 @ 02:09:18
This may be just me but personally I think home is where the heart is, I was born in England and spent a considerable time living there and my passport is British but I'm a kiwi not English, New Zealand is where I grew up and will always be my home. However the fact someone feels they are Scottish or not should not affect their opinion, what matters is how the breaking of the union affects people and I am sure no person wants to see Scotland or Wales fail, which I am sure they would outside of their union because there is no longer the same natural resources there to support a 1st world country and without England they lose their external funding which helps them to function, with the number of people on this planet now we need to learn to unify not divide and in that way we can learn to provide what other countries cannot and everyone benefits that way.
jeff7 On March 11, 2019

, Canada
#67New Post! Jan 17, 2007 @ 05:04:16
THANK YOU
you are right, I agree.
I just had got caught up in the Scottish pride there for a bit.
No disrespect intended to anyone.
Thanks again.

Namaste
jmo On April 29, 2021
Beruset af Julebryg

Yorkshire, United Kingdom
#68New Post! Jan 17, 2007 @ 17:51:27
f***ing hell, Scotland is a s***hole, full of racist, unfriendly bastards.

There are bad Scots and good Scots, just like any other nation in the world. Being part of a Union isn't supressing Scotland. Scottish people are as free as part of the UK as we would be as part of an independant Scotland.
tiniwiel_saz On November 06, 2007

Deleted

the Black Country, United King
#69New Post! Jan 17, 2007 @ 18:36:00
@jeff7 Said
Of course they did.
For those who had money could pay to stay.
To the clan cheifs who had favour with the English thrown.
And its not a myth what the English did to clear the Highlands, it is well documented.
The English knew and voiced that the Highlanders are trouble so they would have to get rid of them, so this they did.

the highland culture was dying out anyway. the jacobite cause had accelarated an existing trend. the clans were split any way and always fighting between each other - similar to the welsh and the english nobles before the sixteenth century. many of the clan chiefs who stayed did so because they could get rid of rival clans.

the highlanders were trouble does the excessively violent jocobite cause not ring any bells? the scots rampaged through england to york killing and burning as they went. London was in a state of terror fearing the coming of the scots, but the scots turned tail and fled. the clan chiefs got scared even though it is widely thought they would have won london if they had carried on. instead they burned and killed as they returned to scotland. not being funny but although i dont think it was nice of the english to do what they did they were doing something to prevent such a thing from happening again and for the time they did what was expected. bear in mind that the scots did their usual trick of attacking when england was preoccupied. at that time england was also having trouble with america they couldnt afford to have their attention split.

personally i am british first english second. i do not see why the welsh and scots do not see it the same. i will say it again stop living in a cherry picked past and move on or everyone will fade away and if we become the united states of europe then it wont matter because we will become french!!!! heaven forbid!
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: << · 1 2 3 4 5

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs