The Forum Site - Join the conversation
Forums:
Politics

should we lock up the mentally ill before they commit a crime?

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: << · 1 2
brainfarmer On February 09, 2007

huddersfield, United Kingdom
#16New Post! Jan 10, 2007 @ 15:37:28
the law is actually aimed at people with personality disorders who are untreatable in the opinion of many mental health professionals. it was brought about by the case of michael stone who killed lin and megan russell and attempted to kill josie russell in july 1996.
the actual diagnosis of personality disorder is still a contraversial one.
https://www.mind.org.uk/Information/Booklets/Understanding/Understanding+borderline+personality+disorder.htm
in many cases a personality disorder isnt seen as a mental illness rather than a flaw in a persons whole being unlike say scihzophrenia were there are recordable brain function problems.
if a borderline is convicted of a serious crime then chances are they will serve time in prison if a schizophrenic is convicted then they will do time in hospital.
Pete On March 28, 2012
Master of Unlocking

Central Scotland, United Kingd
#17New Post! Jan 10, 2007 @ 15:54:06
they might as well lock everyone up, because everyone "might" commit a crime no matter how mentally ill they are
angelcake On January 18, 2016
Say whaaa

Eastleigh, United Kingdom
#18New Post! Jan 10, 2007 @ 15:59:00
@pete Said
they might as well lock everyone up, because everyone "might" commit a crime no matter how mentally ill they are

exactly what i said
MonkeyMadness On April 08, 2015
Lord of your mum

Big Tree, United Kingdom
#19New Post! Jan 10, 2007 @ 16:04:21
i dont think its as bad as it looks, you all know the government wont do anything that could bring serious reprecussions on themselves. If there is the slightest chance human rights comes into it it would just simply fall apart as the government back down to avoid upseting anyone and (god forbid) have to explain their way out of it. In the end it comes down to the simple fact that the police will avoid using this law unless absolutly nessersary to avoid any bad press in case they did something wrong or were acused of abuse of power.
To be honest its like this everytime a new law is passed that gives the police new powers, everyone gets all upset them f*** all really happens, i really dont know why anyone pays attention to the government at all anymore
MonkeyMadness On April 08, 2015
Lord of your mum

Big Tree, United Kingdom
#20New Post! Jan 10, 2007 @ 16:13:00
And personality disorders is a double edged sword, like i *might* commit a serious crime they *might* not.
A big thing in people with these disorders is a lack of empathy, remorse and social boundries. This means they are very likly to commit very violent and/or sexual crimes (all sexual crimes are classed as violent for obvious reasons) but it does not mean they will commit crimes.
Pete On March 28, 2012
Master of Unlocking

Central Scotland, United Kingd
#21New Post! Jan 10, 2007 @ 16:14:15
@angelcake Said
exactly what i said

great minds think alike eh!
angelcake On January 18, 2016
Say whaaa

Eastleigh, United Kingdom
#22New Post! Jan 10, 2007 @ 16:24:33
@pete Said
great minds think alike eh!

lol precisely
nerophoira On October 01, 2007

my castle of dreams, United Ki
#23New Post! Jan 10, 2007 @ 16:46:01
oooooo so that means the lovely men in white coats will come for me any minute now
tiniwiel_saz On November 06, 2007

Deleted

the Black Country, United King
#24New Post! Jan 10, 2007 @ 17:32:11
the bill does not actually specify who would make these decisions on who should be affected by the proposed changes and although it only states personality disorders it does not define differences between different types and you do not have to be diagnosed. this is what makes it so scary. the existing Act should be enough as it differentiates between levels and the Section 3 clause is used for the most serious cases but the government has put forward these new proposals because of a few high profile cases where mentally ill people with a history of violence had stopped taking medication and killed or attacked people.

i think this is more about covering up the woeful lack of funding for the mental health service which has led to blunders.

in saying that this bill really is a slippery slope and open to abuse how long before political opponents are put away because they have a 'personality disorder' or even a return to just putting away bothersome people like they did before the lunacy act in the late victorian period. it sounds farfetched but then look at how totalitarian british law has become in the last 10 years...
uknightowl On October 07, 2009

Basildon, United Kingdom
#25New Post! Jan 11, 2007 @ 01:01:42
@tiniwiel_saz Said
i think this is more about covering up the woeful lack of funding for the mental health service which has led to blunders.

I think you have hit the nail right on the head there tiniwiel! Some bright spark thought it would be a great idea to shut down most of the mental institutions and give hundreds of people with quite severe mental health problems their own little flats so they could be part of the general community. In theory they are supposed be closely monitored. But in practice they are left to their own devices far too often. As a result the general community are now constantly being put at risk by poorly monitored head cases, who could - and all too often do - blow at any moment and commit horrendous crimes!
garfunkel On December 29, 2008
my beautiful rescue

Deleted

Sydney, Australia
#26New Post! Jan 11, 2007 @ 04:02:50
Thats ridiculous. Who are they to say that they might commit a crime?! Just because someone 'might' commit a crime in their books, doens't necessarily mean that they will commit the crime.

Maybe the government should start looking at funding more money into the mental health services instead of letting it run into the ground.
Forget_About_Me On June 22, 2014
Victory is mine!

, Canada
#27New Post! Jan 11, 2007 @ 04:03:55
I don't think we should totally give up on everyone just because they're not what society calls "normal", everyone deserves a chance.
skanky_hoe On January 18, 2007

Deleted

melbourne, Australia
#28New Post! Jan 11, 2007 @ 04:06:31
@tiniwiel_saz Said
a bill is being debated in the House of Lords today about a reform of the Mental Health Act. Under this reform it would be possible for police to detain either suspected or diagnosed mentally ill people in order to prevent them from commiting a serious crime and protect the public. It will also allow the authorities to forcefully give medication to patients who refuse to take their medication.

the current law allows enforced detention for only a certain time and is separated into 3 sections with Section 3 being the most severe with a minimum detention of 6 months and a review at the end. it is used for serious disorders and for attempted suicides.

i personally think that the current law is enough and just needs better enforcing rather than reform. I think the sugested reforms would be a slippery slope into a totalitarian state and put people off getting help for their conditions.

what are your opinions on the subject? Do you agree or disagree?

I reckon if I was locked up, isolated and made to feel different I would be more likely to commit a crime ...
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: << · 1 2

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Politics Forum - Some Rudeness Allowed

Subscribe to topic prefs