The Forum Site - Join the conversation
Forums:
Politics

Smokers in England to get paid extra holidays, cash bribe and free patches to hel

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
sheepy On March 23, 2010

Deleted

Treasure Island, United Kingdo
#1New Post! Dec 31, 2006 @ 13:14:25
In England, smoking in public places is due to be banned in 2007, and in a drive to encourage people to kick the habit

Quote:
Employers are to be told to give workers who smoke extra time off or cash to encourage them to quit when the smoking ban comes into force in six months' time.

Smokers who won't or can't quit should receive nicotine patches paid for by their firms to help them to cope, according to official guidance being prepared ahead of the ban on 1 July 2007.

Clicky to source

Well isn't that just brilliant!
The smokers at work will get this paid leave, extra cash etc, and the rest of us will just have to do extra work to cover for their absences

Quote:
a spokesman for the Forum of Private Business, a body which campaigns on behalf of small businesses in the UK, questioned whether firms should pay for their smokers' medication or provide incentives for them to quit. "This will be a costly burden on small businesses. It is ridiculous that employers should pay for the habits of employees.

Exactly! Why should employers have to foot the bill for getting their employees to give up their habits?

I gave up a bit ago, I don't mind people smoking around me, I don't mind people smoking - it's their personal choice. I do though object to having to carry colleagues or them being given unfair treatment over something which is a choice (Albeit a choice which I full well know is something hard to give up).

What does anyone think?

Fair? Good idea?
jmo On April 29, 2021
Beruset af Julebryg

Yorkshire, United Kingdom
#2New Post! Dec 31, 2006 @ 13:33:27
The way I see it is if the businesses pay extra money to encourage workers to quit smoking then the government wont have to use tax payers money to help them quit, and help them fight smoking related deseases.

Therefor it's a good thing. In my opinion all bussiness should be state owned anyway.
tordalord On May 11, 2010

TROMSDALEN, Norway
#3New Post! Dec 31, 2006 @ 13:57:34
I think the state have to subsidise such a project, or else it could be really harmful for small businesses as you say...

I am not quite sure where the billing ultimatly goes, when smokers get sick, but if I am not totally wrong UK has quite an elaborate social security. Which should mean that ultimatly the state gains on ppl. quitting. Hence they should pay for it, and not take the money from thoose who writes out the paychecks the ppl. pays taxes from.
roxygemini On April 16, 2009

Deleted

, Canada
#4New Post! Dec 31, 2006 @ 14:02:47
Smoking is already banned in public places here. Our Law states that employees and such must smoke outside, 15 feet away from a buildings entrance or exit. The smokers don't have to quit, if they don't choose to, and non smokers don't have to be exposed to it either. I think that it works out just fine for everyone that way.
trillian On May 06, 2010

derbyshire, United Kingdom
#5New Post! Dec 31, 2006 @ 15:25:08
i think i will say i am a smoker then.
bendover On November 25, 2007

Deleted

Muff, Ireland
#6New Post! Dec 31, 2006 @ 15:26:15
s*** I think I'd tell them I was a smoker and take the extra benefits.
trillian On May 06, 2010

derbyshire, United Kingdom
#7New Post! Dec 31, 2006 @ 15:34:48
@bendover Said
s*** I think I'd tell them I was a smoker and take the extra benefits.

thats just what i said!! why not.
killua On January 10, 2012

Vancouver, Canada
#8New Post! Dec 31, 2006 @ 15:36:57
You'd have to smoke though, they'd find out. What would you ather have, a few extra bucks or a unhealthy heart and a guaranteed shorter life?
x_chanelle_x On December 09, 2009

Deleted

Untitled!, United Kingdom
#9New Post! Dec 31, 2006 @ 15:47:55
@killua Said
You'd have to smoke though, they'd find out. What would you ather have, a few extra bucks or a unhealthy heart and a guaranteed shorter life?

You could just strike up everytime the boss walked by
brainfarmer On February 09, 2007

huddersfield, United Kingdom
#10New Post! Dec 31, 2006 @ 15:53:21
i wonder if the ban on smoking at work applies to them beagles that they make smoke?
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Politics Forum - Some Rudeness Allowed

Subscribe to topic prefs