Forums: Society & Lifestyles:
Law

Ice psychosis...

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
claire On September 15, 2009

Perth, Australia
#1New Post! Dec 26, 2006 @ 08:26:50
A 17 yr old girl was gang-raped, bashed repeatedly, and threatened with a knife. Despite her attacker pleading guilty and is now in jail, he still maintains the vicious attack wasn't his fault and that he shouldn't be locked up.

The reason?

He was off his head on Ice at the time and therefore argued that he shouldn't be held reponsible for the crime.

In 2004 Canan, now 28, returned home to his flat in Sydney. He was high on crystal meth (ice), which he'd used regularly for six months. Canan's report said that he was probably feeling some of the effects of the drug such as: hyperactivity, irritability, plus an increase in confidence, strength and libido.

Not long after returning, he made sexual advances towards a 17 yr old female who was staying the night at his apartment., which he shared with two other flatmates.
When she refused, he became violent, smashing things. He then dragged her from the bedroom she'd been sleeping in, to the lounge room. As she lay on the floor, he kicked and punched her, and then ordered his flatmate and another friend to sexually assault her, which thet did.

As the girl was forced to perform oral sex on the two men, Canan continued to kick and beat her with the butt of a knife.

In February 2006, the men were found guilty and were given seven and five-year jail terms. Canan went to trial later that year, but he blamed crystal meth for the crime. He pleaded guilty but said his violent actions were brought on by ice psychosis, and that because of the drug, he had no control over himself at the time.

Should people who are drug users, get lighter sentences?
If I chose to take drugs, does that mean I should abandon my individual responsibilities and be done with the consequences that that drug brought with it?
garfunkel On December 29, 2008
my beautiful rescue

Deleted

Sydney, Australia
#2New Post! Dec 26, 2006 @ 08:52:20
No. They shouldn't be given lighter sentences at all. Everyone should be held accountable for their actions regardless of whether or not they were under the influence of drugs. At the end of the day, even though they may be addicted and need the 'hit' they are still choosing to take it.

What these guys did was disgusting and they should be punished for it just like any other person. Just because he was under the influence of Ice does not make him any less responsible for the crimes that were committed.
dragonwars On July 30, 2009

Wellington, New Zealand
#3New Post! Dec 26, 2006 @ 11:29:41
No they should be given extra time to sort out their drug addiction they took it they should deal with the consequence people know they shouldn't take hard drugs, this is why...
claire On September 15, 2009

Perth, Australia
#4New Post! Jan 13, 2007 @ 13:37:00
just a thought:

I've never taken illegal drugs in my life, I've been in the presence of Pot smokers and left feeling light headed and drowsy, but apart from that, nothing else.

My thought is, If someone is addicted to a heavy substance like Ice for example, and was suffering from withdrawrals, how would their behaviour be any different?
Not saying that people who are on illegal drugs and who commit crimes shouldn't be punished because thats just a cop out.
But even people who take legal drugs, for things like bipolar, have tendencies to flip out regardless of whether they take the medication or not, should these people be treated the same way?
MonkeyMadness On April 08, 2015
Lord of your mum

Big Tree, United Kingdom
#5New Post! Jan 13, 2007 @ 13:43:33
He should get ten years for what he did to that poor girl and then five for taking illigal drugs
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs