what did goth come from?

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: << · 1 2
Iconoclast On February 06, 2009

Banned

belfast, United Kingdom
#16New Post! Jan 31, 2009 @ 12:42:21
Goth derives from the 1970's punk era with the introduction of metal music to the masses, the people that layed rome to ruins were called the visigoths they weren't vikings you pathetic mindless drones they were gauls from spain, in any case goth is mearly an abreviation of 'gothic' and is really culturally intended for pre-teens or atleast thats my interpretation...
sugarflyguy On March 15, 2010
Pro-Pho-tographer

Deleted

Leaving TFS today:), United Ki
#17New Post! Jan 31, 2009 @ 12:45:27
https://www.scathe.demon.co.uk/histgoth.htm

found this link, after googling it
cat_in_the_hat On June 07, 2009

dego, California
#18New Post! May 19, 2009 @ 05:41:01
@dark_dungeoness Said

goth began in the 40 (not sure on the decade) with a group of misfits called beatnick. Those were the people who sat around in pubs or cafes and read poetry. They snapped their fingers instead of clapping their hands. Their poetry was usually dark or deep and insightful. The internet can provide usful info!

The beat generation was at it's peak in the 1950's-60's, and had nothing to do with goths.

@gothguy777 Said

i heard it started by a band called bauhaus

Nopers, try Joy Division or even Rudimentary Peni.

@Iconoclast Said

Goth derives from the 1970's punk era with the introduction of metal music to the masses, the people that layed rome to ruins were called the visigoths they weren't vikings you pathetic mindless drones they were gauls from spain, in any case goth is mearly an abreviation of 'gothic' and is really culturally intended for pre-teens or atleast thats my interpretation...

The Visigoths And The Ostrogoths were both eastern German tribes, but you get a gold star for even knowing that they were not Vikings.
viperinlaw On November 12, 2009

Beryl, Utah
#19New Post! Nov 12, 2009 @ 20:50:58
In actuality Goth origins were from the Visigoths and Ostrogoths. Ancient Germanic tribes that were in fact pagan and then Christian. The visigoths were the ones that we find to be more historically sound though. The took over Rome and sacked s***loads of towns and villages on the way.I personally have an excellent lineage of Vikings, Goths, drunk Russians and crazy a** Scots.
foosyerdoos On March 10, 2015

Aberdeen, United Kingdom
#20New Post! May 23, 2010 @ 10:13:23
Joy Division origonal goths!

Can't be having that. Joy Division, although a great band, can't be described as being goth.

As I am a guy in his forties who lives in the UK where goth originated, I can say that two bands are in for a shout at "starting" goth. They are Bauhaus and Souxsie and the Banshees. Both bands formed in the seventies, they both have roots in the UK punk scene, and here's the clincher, they both wore a lot of black. And as us old goths say, "black is".
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: << · 1 2

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs