"Young Adult"

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
ThePainefulTruth On May 06, 2013
Verum est Deus

Deleted

Peoria, Arizona
#1New Post! Dec 17, 2011 @ 06:17:32
I liked this movie but not as much as I wanted to. I've loved Charlize for years, and Ivan Reitman has turned in some really good stuff (Thanks for Smoking, Juno, and especially Up in the Air. It's just that Theron's character is just so not someone you can like. She even neglects her cute little dog.

You keep wondering if she's actually supposed to be clinically depressed, or just depressed because she keeps making stupid decisions and doing stupid stuff because she's unwilling to grow up. Some of it's truly funny and would be more so if it weren't so pathetic. She tells her parents she thinks she's an alcoholic, with no reaction, and then a few scenes later, her mother points out in horror that she's drunk.

Patton Oswalt, a short dumpy guy playing a short, dumpy guy is an interesting character and is an excellent catalyst for the story; but I kept wondering how they cast people for a part like that. "Need short, dumpy guy for major supporting role." I guess the money makes it worth it, I guess. Charlize nominated for Golden Globe as best actress. 8/10
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs