"War Horse"

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
ThePainefulTruth On May 06, 2013
Verum est Deus

Deleted

Peoria, Arizona
#1New Post! Dec 30, 2011 @ 01:52:25
Go if you must but take your insulin shots if you're susceptible to saccharin sentiment, swelling phony music, and a fatal lack of credibility in places. The first half and the ending are over the top, but there are good moments, mostly during the war scenes. Should've been "War Dog" if it weren't insulting to dogs. Summation, Peter Pan meets Saving Pvt. Ryan. I think Spielberg needs to retire to production....if that. 7/10, barely.
Leon On December 21, 2023

San Diego, California
#2New Post! Dec 30, 2011 @ 02:40:12
There needs to be more World War 1 movies, in my opinion. Good movie.
Verum est Deus

Deleted

Peoria, Arizona
#3New Post! Dec 30, 2011 @ 05:46:22
There need to be more Civil War movies. Don't think they've ever made a good one. The closest was The Great Locomotive Chase and that was in the 50s. Yeah, and GWTW, sort of. Even I call politically incorrect on that one, and it was mostly about her anyway.
Demented On January 31, 2024

, Australia
#4New Post! Dec 30, 2011 @ 07:04:53
@Leon Said

There needs to be more World War 1 movies, in my opinion. Good movie.

Have a look at "Fly Boy's"that's a good movie based on fact and when you really think about it,They were real fighter pilots.

San Diego, California
#5New Post! Dec 30, 2011 @ 07:29:23
@Demented Said

Have a look at "Fly Boy's"that's a good movie based on fact and when you really think about it,They were real fighter pilots.

There was a really great Canadian one that was made a few years ago, called Passchendaele. Great scenes, very moving moments. It was a truly horrible war, probably the worst of all time.
Eaglebauer On July 23, 2019
Deleted

Saint Louis, Missouri
#6New Post! Dec 30, 2011 @ 07:30:45
If you wanna go classic...for WWI...All Quiet on the Western Front.

San Diego, California
#7New Post! Dec 30, 2011 @ 07:31:45
@Eaglebauer Said

If you wanna go classic...for WWI...All Quiet on the Western Front.

Well, yeah, of course lol. And classic anti-war one at that.
Deleted

Saint Louis, Missouri
#8New Post! Dec 30, 2011 @ 07:34:26
@Leon Said

Well, yeah, of course lol. And classic anti-war one at that.

I went through a phase not too long ago and was going to try to watch every best picture winner from the beginning of the Academy Awards. Ones like A.Q.O.T.W.F. and Cimmaron were good, but I abandoned the idea after trying to watch a few from the 30s that I just could not get into.

San Diego, California
#9New Post! Dec 30, 2011 @ 07:46:39
@Eaglebauer Said

I went through a phase not too long ago and was going to try to watch every best picture winner from the beginning of the Academy Awards. Ones like A.Q.O.T.W.F. and Cimmaron were good, but I abandoned the idea after trying to watch a few from the 30s that I just could not get into.

I did that with the AFI top 100 list. And got through all of them. That might be a better way to do it, as they based it on lasting relevance rather than relevant at the time.

, Australia
#10New Post! Dec 30, 2011 @ 07:50:45
@Leon Said

There was a really great Canadian one that was made a few years ago, called Passchendaele. Great scenes, very moving moments. It was a truly horrible war, probably the worst of all time.

Yeah I've got that,but thought it was just a bit so so but you've got me thinking now,Might just have another look tonight.
Deleted

Saint Louis, Missouri
#11New Post! Dec 30, 2011 @ 07:52:05
@Leon Said

I did that with the AFI top 100 list. And got through all of them. That might be a better way to do it, as they based it on lasting relevance rather than relevant at the time.

Hmmm. That's a thought.

It's not that I don't like things that aren't currently relevant necessarily, but moviemaking was different then...they just wrote things differently and style has changed overall. I still did enjoy a lot of them though, like Mutiny on the Bounty and of course Gone With the Wind, but I find a lot of the old dramas from the 30s and 40s are incredibly dull to me.

San Diego, California
#12New Post! Dec 30, 2011 @ 09:44:15
@Eaglebauer Said

Hmmm. That's a thought.

It's not that I don't like things that aren't currently relevant necessarily, but moviemaking was different then...they just wrote things differently and style has changed overall. I still did enjoy a lot of them though, like Mutiny on the Bounty and of course Gone With the Wind, but I find a lot of the old dramas from the 30s and 40s are incredibly dull to me.

Here's what I did. I took that list, which is the American Film Institute's top 100 movies of all time (it was a major survey of 1,500 artists, critics, and film historians and they even did a TV special on it when it was released in 1997), and rearranged it so it was in chronological order, and then watched them all over the next few months. I think 1917's Birth of a Nation was the first, and 1992's Fargo was the last.

I learned so much from doing that. About movies, culture, life...

, Australia
#13New Post! Dec 30, 2011 @ 14:29:59
@Leon Said

Had another look at passchendaele tonight and still think it's a so so movie,although based on fact the reality of the battle was far worse than they gave indication of it being.
Verum est Deus

Deleted

Peoria, Arizona
#14New Post! Dec 30, 2011 @ 15:34:52
Some more WWI films:
Paths of Glory
The Blue Max
Flyboys
Gallopili

WWI was a ready made anti-war, artificial war.
WWII showed there could be righteous war.

They still need to make at least one good (say a Kubrick) Civil War movie--and that one would have to be about Gen Cleburne, just to narrow things down a bit if that Kubrick successor happens to be reading this.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs