"The Flowers of War"--review

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
ThePainefulTruth On May 06, 2013
Verum est Deus

Deleted

Peoria, Arizona
#1New Post! Apr 13, 2012 @ 00:28:42
One thing for sure, I don't think this historical war drama could be accused of being predictable (an accusation I keep hearing a lot lately). It's the most expensive movie ever produced in China's history ($94 mil), and it has an American savior protagonist (Christian Bale) which the director said was a first and would never happen again. It's based on a novel by a Chinese born American author, and has an absolutely stunning and poised female lead named Ni Ni who subtly milks her beauty for every thing it's worth:

Bale is an American rowdy/mortician who ends up getting involved in trying to save the young girls in a Catholic school because the priest, who he's come to prepare for burial, was their guardian. They're soon joined by a group of prostitutes all trying to hide from the invading Japanese. This sounds like a set up for a comedy, but it definitely isn't (for the most part) since the principle story hinges on the two hostile groups with Bale in the middle. Suffice it to say that the core event portrayed in the climax is, incredibly, historical.

It's hard to believe with Bale in it, it's major budget and the excellent work, that it didn't get better distribution. Had to use the screens for Ghost Rider, Wrath of the Titans & This Means War I guess. Three low distribution films have been at the top of my list* from the last 2 1/2 months, yet all have the makings of wide releases. "R" 9/10

*Shuffle
Detachment
The Flowers of War
Leon On December 21, 2023

San Diego, California
#2New Post! Apr 13, 2012 @ 00:35:34
Is this a foreign language film or English?
ThePainefulTruth On May 06, 2013
Verum est Deus

Deleted

Peoria, Arizona
#3New Post! Apr 13, 2012 @ 01:25:46
@Leon Said

Is this a foreign language film or English?

Chinese with subtitles and English. (40-60?) No, Bale doesn't speak Mandarin.
Jennifer1984 On July 20, 2022
Returner and proud

Penzance, United Kingdom
#4New Post! Apr 13, 2012 @ 07:23:13
@ThePainefulTruth Said

it has an American savior protagonist (Christian Bale)

Christian Bale is Welsh.

Perhaps it would have been more accurate if you had said something like "Christian Bale plays the part of an American saviour protagonist."

Just putting the record straight.

Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs