Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: 1 2 3 4 · >>
KulliK357 On July 15, 2013
Sausage Snowman

Dingwall,Scotland, United King
#1New Post! Apr 29, 2011 @ 18:20:03
Why?
Did you have to work long and hard to be British?

I don't get this attitude or saying or whatever it is, sure you can like Britain, or enjoy the culture or whatever, but why the hell would you be proud to be British? Your being British isn't an achievement, it was completely random and therefor not really something you can be proud of to my eyes.
Might as well just say "i'm proud that i was born at all"
Same goes for all other nationalities, skin colors, sexual preferences etc, just any coincidental thing that people say they are proud of.
GAMEfreak On April 28, 2017

betch,
#2New Post! Apr 29, 2011 @ 18:20:43
I agree...
chisa96 On December 29, 2014
Supreme Goddess

Out in Nature, Wisconsin
#3New Post! Apr 29, 2011 @ 19:39:37
It means more that you're proud of the country than specifically proud of yourself.
treebee On April 13, 2015
Government Hooker

London, United Kingdom
#4New Post! Apr 29, 2011 @ 19:42:57
I like a lot of things about living in Britain right now. I like our weird arse customs like pancake day and bonfire night and cheese rolling and rugby and football and men in socks and sandals and theatrical luvvies and chips and gravy and chicken tikka massalla and east lane and scousers going on about how great liverpool is and coronation street etc.

Im not proud because i have nothing to do with those things. But I like to be a part of the understanding what its all about club.

Pride seems to be the wrong word, unless someone can come up with a really good explanation.
Wellard On April 29, 2012
ect.. .

Deleted

In your Mind, Cape Verde
#5New Post! Apr 29, 2011 @ 21:54:58
Why be proud of something that you have not personally achieved?.
Grasshopper On January 11, 2023
Just me.

Fort Collins, Colorado
#6New Post! Apr 29, 2011 @ 22:04:08
Oh sure, ruin all the fun.
rogy On June 03, 2013

, United Kingdom
#7New Post! Apr 29, 2011 @ 22:12:53
@Grasshopper Said

Oh sure, ruin all the fun.

https://www.democracynow.org/2011/4/29/johann_hari_frenzy_around_britains_royal

rogY
Jacquesmetat On August 01, 2012

Out on the 'oggin, United King
#8New Post! Apr 29, 2011 @ 23:03:38
@KulliK357 Said

Why?
Did you have to work long and hard to be British?

I don't get this attitude or saying or whatever it is, sure you can like Britain, or enjoy the culture or whatever, but why the hell would you be proud to be British? Your being British isn't an achievement, it was completely random and therefor not really something you can be proud of to my eyes.
Might as well just say "i'm proud that i was born at all"
Same goes for all other nationalities, skin colors, sexual preferences etc, just any coincidental thing that people say they are proud of.

I am proud to be british because I like what we stand for. I like our history i like our culture, I like our language our way of life. I like what we have given to the world. all the things we are and all the things we have been are things to be proud of. Other countries havent done a fraction of what we have achieved. a tiny island on the edge of europe ruled an empire on which the sun never set. we civilised half the bloody planet. we invented laws that are copied the world over because they are just and fair. Our political system is called The Mother of all Parliaments. We invented sports the whole world plays. We have produced the greatest playwright in history, the greatest rock band the world has ever seen, some of the finest actors, scientists, artists, musicians and writers. All these things we have achieved on this little island. That is something to be proud of and that is why I am proud to be british.
Princess_Tanya On May 14, 2011

Banned

London, United Kingdom
#9New Post! Apr 29, 2011 @ 23:07:46
The OP is missing the point. Probably deliberately.
Jacquesmetat On August 01, 2012

Out on the 'oggin, United King
#10New Post! Apr 29, 2011 @ 23:17:30
@Princess_Tanya Said

The OP is missing the point. Probably deliberately.

This is a day when a minority of bitter, twisted tits feel that its appropriate to take snidey pot shots at the country. Oh well I suppose theres no law against it. Lucky them.
mark_is_god On June 26, 2015

antrim, Ireland
#11New Post! Apr 29, 2011 @ 23:54:45
whilst being proud to be British (or any other nationality) is valid, from a purely definition of the word stance.

it does come across as pretty silly, i don't know about anyone else, but taking pride in something i had no control or affect on, doesn't really make sense to me.

so if anything i'm glad to be British.
jmo On April 29, 2021
Beruset af Julebryg

Yorkshire, United Kingdom
#12New Post! Apr 29, 2011 @ 23:58:02
I'm happy that I live in Britain, I think it is a great country, but I take no pride at all in it.
GSnap On March 02, 2019

Over the Rainbow,
#13New Post! Apr 30, 2011 @ 00:01:28
@chisa96 Said

It means more that you're proud of the country than specifically proud of yourself.

This was my thought on it as well.

Many people proudly display "proud to be an american" bumper stickers, for instance, and I don't think it is so much about the fact that they are proud of "themselves" more that they are showing pride and respect for their country.

Nothing wrong with that. But no, it isn't a 'personal acheivement', we can't control where we were born. And even those who control where they live as in they moved there, that still isn't really an achievement, but i don't see anything wrong with these "Proud to be...insert country name here" as it is showing pride in the country you live in.

I would rather see more people display pride than go out and spray graffiti all over bldgs in a display of no pride. lol
Eaglebauer On July 23, 2019
Deleted

Saint Louis, Missouri
#14New Post! Apr 30, 2011 @ 01:04:32
I think it's a matter of semantics. I've always had a problem with the "proud to be (nationality)" statement myself for the same reason the OP gives...it's taking "pride" in something you did nothing to acheive. The location of your birth is simply a historical fact and you can't really claim pride for it any more that you can claim that you're proud to be black or white or tall or brunette or blonde. I'd say it's more accurate to say that you're glad to be these things.

I'm American and in spite of it's flaws, I love America because it's my home. I love many of the things we've done in the world as well, and I'm glad I live where I do but it's because it's what I know and a part of who I am, but I did nothing to "acheive" being American.

I'm proud that I'm a good father. I'm proud of being a devoted husband. I'm proud that I've read all of Dostoevsky and that I keep myself in really good shape physically, but I can only be glad about where I live and where I was born.
eternus_somnium On April 14, 2021
clinically crackers

, United States (general)
#15New Post! Apr 30, 2011 @ 01:08:06
I have an issue with it because, while it can be argued that you're showing pride in your country, and not yourself.. But how often do you hear an American say, "I'm damned proud of Australia!" It's always their own country, which shows to me they just want something to brag about.

Those people aren't proud of their country, they usually just think they're better than everyone else and use their country's better qualities as a way of showing that.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: 1 2 3 4 · >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs