Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: << · 1 2 3 4 5 · >>
jmo On April 29, 2021
Beruset af Julebryg

Yorkshire, United Kingdom
#46New Post! Jan 25, 2011 @ 18:01:31
@floydgirrl Said

My friend worked at Disney World when we were in college, Jonnythan is pretty spot on with what I remember her saying about it.

Yeah my friend worked there over the summer as part of a student American summer work programme. She said it was pretty strict but it's the most fun she's ever had in a job.
x_Laura_x On April 02, 2024

Nowhere, United Kingdom
#47New Post! Jan 28, 2011 @ 00:10:13
https://www.guardian.co.uk/music/2011/jan/27/worlds-first-beatles-graduate
jmo On April 29, 2021
Beruset af Julebryg

Yorkshire, United Kingdom
#48New Post! Jan 28, 2011 @ 00:14:46
@x_Laura_x Said

Sounds perfectly reasonable. And as someone 3 and a half years into a philosophy degree I say that with philosophical confidence.
sister_of_mercy On March 11, 2015

London, United Kingdom
#49New Post! Jan 28, 2011 @ 00:17:01
@x_Laura_x Said

Whilst it may not be a particularly useful degree to study, it sounds excellent. It's not just about the band but about society at the time they were around and I imagine a lot of music theory would be involved too. If she did an MA on it then there must have been a lot to go into. If she wants to go into music then I can see it of being beneficial. Not a course I'd ever choose myself though, not as a university thing (unless it was a module).
boobagins On August 03, 2013
SPICY HOT TAMALES

Astral Weeks, Florida
#50New Post! Jan 28, 2011 @ 00:20:20
One course that I find pointless (but its really not) is College Success.

Yet there are loads of students that take it and loads of counselors that push it, but everything in that class is COMMON SENSE. To me anyways.

I can point out pointless degrees, but for someone else, it'll probably be their life.
SPICY HOT TAMALES

Astral Weeks, Florida
#51New Post! Jan 28, 2011 @ 00:23:48
@sister_of_mercy Said

Whilst it may not be a particularly useful degree to study, it sounds excellent. It's not just about the band but about society at the time they were around and I imagine a lot of music theory would be involved too. If she did an MA on it then there must have been a lot to go into. If she wants to go into music then I can see it of being beneficial. Not a course I'd ever choose myself though, not as a university thing (unless it was a module).

I do agree it probably was interesting and fun and what not. But, I'd really have to ask questions about how relevant the information is now. Its a study of history...and the Beatles were like one hit wonders at that time.

I'm not sure if another band/singer/celebrity will ever come out and mirror the Beatles in style, so other than being knowledgeable...I wonder what she could do with that degree.

I take that back. She can totally aid in book and movie writing about the Beatles.

Damn.

Nowhere, United Kingdom
#52New Post! Jan 28, 2011 @ 00:26:12
@boobagins Said

One course that I find pointless (but its really not) is College Success.

Yet there are loads of students that take it and loads of counselors that push it, but everything in that class is COMMON SENSE. To me anyways.

I can point out pointless degrees, but for someone else, it'll probably be their life.

What is that?
SPICY HOT TAMALES

Astral Weeks, Florida
#53New Post! Jan 28, 2011 @ 00:29:27
@x_Laura_x Said

What is that?

how to succeed in college. Its basically where they give you pointers of what to do and not do. How to study properly, what kind of environments are good for studying and what are bad.
sister_of_mercy On March 11, 2015

London, United Kingdom
#54New Post! Jan 28, 2011 @ 00:31:44
@boobagins Said

I do agree it probably was interesting and fun and what not. But, I'd really have to ask questions about how relevant the information is now. Its a study of history...and the Beatles were like one hit wonders at that time.

I'm not sure if another band/singer/celebrity will ever come out and mirror the Beatles in style, so other than being knowledgeable...I wonder what she could do with that degree.

I take that back. She can totally aid in book and movie writing about the Beatles.

Damn.

Well, if she wants to go into music then knowing what influenced one of the most successful bands of all time can be no bad thing. Plus as you said there's always money to be made in music books etc.

If you follow that line of thinking though then any history based course is useless, but just because you study one thing doesn't mean you're going to go into that specific area. Historians can go into all sorts of professions, just as English graduates, sociology graduates and philosophy graduates can. I think some degrees have a lot more to do with using and developing skills rather than actually learning anything.

Nowhere, United Kingdom
#55New Post! Jan 28, 2011 @ 00:42:53
@boobagins Said

how to succeed in college. Its basically where they give you pointers of what to do and not do. How to study properly, what kind of environments are good for studying and what are bad.

Urgh, I've just finished a f***ing module that's a bit like that. Waste of time, going to the classes was pointless, the work was piss easy... just a joke.
ddpeepz On July 12, 2011

Edmonton, Canada
#56New Post! Jan 28, 2011 @ 01:45:44
That's a tough call... it depends on WHY you're getting a degree. If you are getting the degree for the sole purpose of landing a job after you graduate, then there are plenty of mickey mouse degrees out there... but if you're getting a degree for your own personal fulfillment and education, then I would not consider that a waste of money.
boobear On August 15, 2016

London, United Kingdom
#57New Post! Feb 27, 2011 @ 15:57:57
A friend of Neil's did Egyptology at uni, he loved it but he isn't using it now of course Apparently he doesn't regret it though as he really enjoyed it
thequietman On August 29, 2018
Scapegrace

Rusty Bullet Hole, Washington
#58New Post! Mar 01, 2011 @ 03:22:23
All art degrees are a joke.
jonnythan On August 02, 2014
Bringer of rad mirth

Deleted

Here and there,
#59New Post! Mar 01, 2011 @ 13:03:34
@thequietman Said
art [is] a joke.

Hm.
SPICY HOT TAMALES

Astral Weeks, Florida
#60New Post! Mar 01, 2011 @ 13:33:24
My mom did anthropology and geology in school. She didn't use one bit of it. LOL
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: << · 1 2 3 4 5 · >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs