"I'm not African American, I'm black."

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: << · 1 2 3 4 5 · >>
rocket48 On May 23, 2013

, Texas
#16New Post! Jun 17, 2009 @ 00:45:18
n.

An American, especially an inhabitant of the United States, whose language and ancestry are English.
adj.

1. Of, relating to, or between England and America, especially the United States.
2. Of or relating to Anglo-Americans.

Am I an Anglo American? Forget the Mexican American, African American, Asian American etc........ If you are born in or have been a naturalized citizen, then BE AMERICAN or go back where you came from.
Ihuman On November 09, 2009

Banned

, United Kingdom
#17New Post! Jun 17, 2009 @ 01:15:09
@alexkidd Said

Good point!

Anglo-African might be a term coming to us soon.

wouldn't it be African-anglian or something...African-English/Scottish/Welsh etc?

Banned

, United Kingdom
#18New Post! Jun 17, 2009 @ 01:18:25
All this African-american just seems a bit fussy to me. I don't like it and think that there's an implicit attempt to distinguish themselves from whites and the evil that white's have done and do. Basically saying 'we don't wannna be associated with you, we want to draw a real distinction.'
There's just no need for anyone to define themselves so precisely.
rocket48 On May 23, 2013

, Texas
#19New Post! Jun 17, 2009 @ 02:27:32
@Ihuman Said

All this African-american just seems a bit fussy to me. I don't like it and think that there's an implicit attempt to distinguish themselves from whites and the evil that white's have done and do. Basically saying 'we don't wannna be associated with you, we want to draw a real distinction.'

Now this my friend is a great way of putting it.

x_Laura_x On March 13, 2023

Nowhere, United Kingdom
#20New Post! Jun 17, 2009 @ 05:46:38
I was chatting to someone about this the other day, we agreed that the term "African American" is pointless

Just because someone is black it doesn't mean they're from Africa
aceuvclubs On August 22, 2020
You with the face!

Seattle, Washington
#21New Post! Jun 17, 2009 @ 05:47:52
Ironically, the president is actually African American
Unbarbie On April 02, 2011

Kitimat, Canada
#22New Post! Jun 17, 2009 @ 07:19:24
I think if someone tells us their preference then, we should respect that.

I am Canadian literally a native Canadian but, there is not a drop of first Nations blood in my ancestry
as far as I know.
crazylikeafox On June 02, 2017

McKinney, Texas
#23New Post! Jun 17, 2009 @ 07:22:24
@Kristy69 Said

I'm Kristy.
I'm an entire race on my own.

Lol. As are so many Americans, really (myself included). It brings up an interesting question I heard my coworkers talk about instead of working, though. If an African-American is a Black person born and raised in America, or 1 would also suppose a Black person born in Africa but immigrated here, then what would you call a White person born in Africa but immigrated here? African-American could still work for them, because they're African but with American citizenship. However, that isn't really what people think about when using the word African-American. Since we no doubt get such immigrants, it's a reasonable question I think.
Richard142 On February 15, 2015

Greater London, United Kingdom
#24New Post! Jun 17, 2009 @ 07:43:28
@hedkandi1984_21 Said

Well, I'm not American, so I can't speak for black Americans, but when I'm on a website and the only option for black people is African-American, THAT pisses me off

Perhapse this is part of your agonising glory! Too many labels like too many cooks. There's only one race, human, but many cultures.
hedkandi1984_21 On July 23, 2013

London, United Kingdom
#25New Post! Jun 17, 2009 @ 11:17:26
@annski729 Said

You know I never even thought of that? How silly of me.

What is on forms you have to fill out your race and stuff? "Black" ? Or is it another term?

Well, it's either "black british" or they ask about your ethnicity, so I'd put "black caribbean". I also find that annoying. I'd like to just refer to myself as "british". I don't see a reason why race has to be included on forms all the time.

@Kristy69 Said

Do you prefer to be called black then?

Yes!

@alexkidd Said

Good point!

Anglo-African might be a term coming to us soon.

I really hope not I think we have enough labels in the world without adding another one
hedkandi1984_21 On July 23, 2013

London, United Kingdom
#26New Post! Jun 17, 2009 @ 11:22:20
@Ihuman Said

So you're saying blacks Americans came up with this term themselves? That's the way I'm reading it, and I don't think that's true. Back in the colonial era, the powers that be came up with all sorts of ways to distinguish themselves from non-white races, in order to make themselves look more superior. I wouldn't be surprised if referring to black Americans as "African Americans" was another way of telling blacks that they're not as much a part of America as whites are. After all, white American descended from the colonists are usually referred to as "American", whilst everyone else is either "Native American", "Irish American", so on and so forth.

Banned

, United Kingdom
#27New Post! Jun 17, 2009 @ 12:24:53
@hedkandi1984_21 Said

So you're saying blacks Americans came up with this term themselves? That's the way I'm reading it, and I don't think that's true. Back in the colonial era, the powers that be came up with all sorts of ways to distinguish themselves from non-white races, in order to make themselves look more superior. I wouldn't be surprised if referring to black Americans as "African Americans" was another way of telling blacks that they're not as much a part of America as whites are. After all, white American descended from the colonists are usually referred to as "American", whilst everyone else is either "Native American", "Irish American", so on and so forth.

Well i just presumed 'cause so many AA's use the phrase about themselves they came up with it or at least was using it 'cause they think that's how they should be refered to.
crazylikeafox On June 02, 2017

McKinney, Texas
#28New Post! Jun 18, 2009 @ 01:38:06
@hedkandi1984_21 Said

African-American is a relatively new term. The Colonial Era term was actually Negro, but that sounds too much like another certain word and had kind of been turned into an insult, so then came Colored. Colored worked for a while, but like Negro gained a bad reputation, and if Whites are Whites and Blacks are Coloreds, what does that make everyone else? So then came Black, which was the proper term until African-American. I'm not sure when the change occured, but I want to say African-American became "politicaly correct" in the 90's. Far later than the Colonial Era.
LaLaMissMandy On September 27, 2009

Deleted

EUGENE, Oregon
#29New Post! Jun 18, 2009 @ 01:58:05
In my experience, it seems people around my age (teens - young adults) are fine with being called black, while the older generations prefer to be described as African American. Obviously, the important part is respecting the person's preference.
diomedes On March 22, 2013

Long Beach, California
#30New Post! Jun 18, 2009 @ 04:28:18
I'm Puerto Rican-Filipino-Cherokee... I just have people call me Filipino for short and since I'm more filipino than I am puerto rican or charokee.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: << · 1 2 3 4 5 · >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Politics Forum - Some Rudeness Allowed

Subscribe to topic prefs