Rants & Raves

"Get a Cell Phone!"

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: 1 2 3 · >>
Five_Tailed_Fox On June 16, 2012

Cottontown, Tennessee
#1New Post! May 21, 2012 @ 08:57:28
I got this buddy. He's not really a friend, and I haven't even spent a great amount of time around him, but I do know him, and he feels like he can talk to me. Anyways, every time I see him, he's all, "Hey, did you get a cell phone yet?" or "Man, I don't know how you can not have a cell phone" or "You gotta get a cell phone, dude." And every time, I tell him, "I don't need a cell phone. I have a house phone, it works just fine, and I never go out anywhere, so I do not need a f***ing cell phone!

Yet he still says I've gotta have one.

Why would anyone have this mentality? Why is a cell phone something everyone has to have? I could understand if I was going places on my own, so I could have a way to get hold of people, but I'm never on my own. I get taken to work and picked up after work, and I never go anywhere else. Why the hell would I pay for a cell phone, and minutes for it, when I would never use it?

Fun story - I used to have a cell phone. Years and years ago, when I was in college. I stopped using it because whenever we bought minutes for it, the minutes would expire before I could use even half of them. We could buy the cheapest phone card possible, and in two or three months, I wouldn't have even used up an hour. Now, it'd be even worse. I might use ten minutes within a month. Maybe.

So, I don't need a cell phone. Having a cell phone, right now, would be a waste of money, plain and simple. But this guy doesn't seem to want to accept that. That pisses me off.

Another buddy of mine (the guy who originally knew the first guy) has expressed his agreement, that I do need a cell phone. You know what I think it really is, with both of them? They want to be able to text me. They want to be able to send me a random bit of text at any time and know that I will receive it. I tell them to call me, but I don't like to spend a lot of time on the phone (except with certain people). I don't think that matters much though, since neither of them has called me, at all, in months and months. They each have my Facebook page, but I don't check it constantly, because I don't care that much about it and anybody that would need to get hold of me has my phone number. These guys, they just want me to be like them. And they want to be able to reach me at any time. But I don't want that. I like not having the lines of communication open to every single person at every single moment.

If a person wants to talk to me or hang out with me, they can call me. But I'm not going to respond to stupid texts asking me about some pointless crap or asking wide-open questions like, "What are you up to?" Wait, that's not right, it'd be, "wut u up 2" Are you offering to spend time with me? Or are you just bored and hoping someone will respond? Another thing - I am sure as hell not going to spend time with a person if all they can do is type a few letters to ask me. If they cannot even call me, if they cannot do that very simple thing, then I'm not going to go to the trouble of being around them. If they can't make that effort, I'm not going to reward them with my presence. And that's not being arrogant, that's just acknowledging that I am worth some effort. If you have to send me a text to talk to me, if that is the only way you'll communicate with me, then you obviously don't care very much about knowing me.

In other words, I don't need a cell phone, and I certainly wouldn't get one just because somebody told me to. I'm smart, I understand that cell phones can be used to call people. Though I sometimes wonder if other people realize that.
Demented On January 31, 2024

, Australia
#2New Post! May 21, 2012 @ 09:06:06
Yeah it pisses you off when people are like that,but the moment you do get one,they text you every bloody 5 seconds "How are you ","the same as I was 5 F*cken seconds ago .

Everybody said to me "Oh you have to buy a Computer" so in the end I relented and bought one,now the bastards keep sending stupid friggin emails and the same one's again 6 weeks later .

Buy a cell phone,then you to can get driven friggin mad by the bloody thing
cjm31 On July 05, 2012

Jerusalem, Israel
#3New Post! May 21, 2012 @ 09:30:57
fry your brain... go get one. I was given from work because I "Need it" but to tell the truth I Hate it.
colonelbleep On December 15, 2015

, North Carolina
#4New Post! May 21, 2012 @ 09:40:00
Only times I've needed a cell phone were when I operated an Inn, so not to miss reservations, and as a maintenance manager for assisted living facilities, being on call 24/7. I do neither now so my phone sits at home, nice and quiet.

edit: I truly didn't NEED a cell phone. Could have done it the old fashioned way like I'm used to. I don't like substituting the word "want" with "need".
Kristy69 On September 14, 2014
Carly's Mommy

Underneath the Cyanide Sun....
#5New Post! May 21, 2012 @ 10:51:25
I can't survive without my phone. I don't use it for just talk and text. I Facebook, Tweet, take photos, play games, use all kinds of apps... My phone is like an extremity in itself. When I accidentally leave it home, I feel sooo lost without it, like missing a hand. (only once, though, have I totally turned around to go back and get it)

I really do think I have MPDS (mobile phone dependency syndrome).
https://dl.acm.org/citation.cfm?id=1585690.1586340
Kristy69 On September 14, 2014
Carly's Mommy

Underneath the Cyanide Sun....
#6New Post! May 21, 2012 @ 10:52:28
Although this guy is annoying, so if you get a phone (a smart phone will change your life), don't tell him
treebee On April 13, 2015
Government Hooker

London, United Kingdom
#7New Post! May 21, 2012 @ 10:55:09
Sometimes we have to question why it bothers people so much.

Like if you are single people say "you need to get a g/f"

If you are living together people say "you need to get married"

I find this is because people like to think of the people around them as being like them. Its a comfortable box to put you in. Being different makes them uncomfortable.
hoppy On August 27, 2013

#8New Post! May 21, 2012 @ 11:22:16
I had a cell phone for about 2 months, then gave it away. I have a house phone and it don't run on battery power, never runs out of juice in the middle of a call, never loses it's signal.
If I had a car I might want one.
Eaglebauer On July 23, 2019
Deleted

Saint Louis, Missouri
#9New Post! May 21, 2012 @ 11:46:41
@Demented Said

Yeah it pisses you off when people are like that,but the moment you do get one,they text you every bloody 5 seconds "How are you ","the same as I was 5 F*cken seconds ago .

This is kind of along the lines of my thoughts on the whole Twitter culture phenomenon. People are constantly pestering me to get a Twitter account (which I don't have) or a Facebook account (which I do, but only so I can play games with friends on my phone...I haven't been on it in six months or more), and I won't do it. Because people don't need to know what I'm doing every five minutes. I hate the update mentality..."Now I'm walking down the street...now I'm at the store...not I'm taking a s***..." WHO f***ING CARES???? Even if you're a celebrity....who cares?
annski729 On July 24, 2016

, United States (general)
#10New Post! May 21, 2012 @ 12:13:33
If I were you friend and I had trouble making plans with you because you didn't have a phone, I'd probably give you s*** about it. It's sort of annoying when there is a lapse in communication when making plans or coordinating things with friends. For example, I've been bugging my brother to get a texting plan on his phone because he rarely answers it when I call him and we're both out somewhere and also I spend a lot of time traveling underground where I can send texts but not make calls. He refuses, and it's sort of annoying that I don't have an additional, easy way to get in touch with him.

But if, as you say, you don't go out much and you don't spend that much time with this guy then I think he's overly concerned with your life.
lilkatangel On October 03, 2023

Northglenn, Colorado
#11New Post! May 21, 2012 @ 14:10:22
I use my phone a lot, but then I do go places. I even text as sometimes if you can't get signal to make a call texts will still work. The only reason I could think you may need one soonish, is because once you move out here we have no land line. That and if we go somewhere and you wander of, as you've been known to do, your sense of direction is s***( love you though) and you'll need to be able to call me to get unlost lol!
Deal_With_It On May 24, 2022

Stevens Pass, Washington
#12New Post! May 21, 2012 @ 15:30:48
Well I have to have a cell phone. Landlines are not available where I live. Really don't want it though. I'm not much of a phone person. If it weren't for my kids or work I wouldn't keep it. Using 100 minutes in a month means I've over talked.
jonnythan On August 02, 2014
Bringer of rad mirth

Deleted

Here and there,
#13New Post! May 21, 2012 @ 15:33:28
Well if you never leave the house, ever, then you don't need one.

Are you bedridden or something?
Leon On March 30, 2024

San Diego, California
#14New Post! May 21, 2012 @ 15:35:48
I need a cellphone because I don't have a landline.
wOrdcraZy On October 28, 2012

<3,
#15New Post! May 21, 2012 @ 16:08:22
Ask them if they are a retard, if they have a comprehension problem. If that doesn't stop them I guess they do, and you can chalk it up to that.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: 1 2 3 · >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs