Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: << · 1 2
GeneticAnomaly On May 25, 2020
Marvellous, simply m

, United Kingdom
#16New Post! Dec 20, 2010 @ 23:32:24
@buffalobill90 Said

Do you think the Anarchist's Cookbook should be banned?

If it counsels the reader in subtle ways to be a paedo it should be.
jmo On April 29, 2021
Beruset af Julebryg

Yorkshire, United Kingdom
#17New Post! Dec 20, 2010 @ 23:36:06
I think my issue about it isn't that it is coercing someone to be a paedo or not as I don't think a book has the power to do that. I think the issue is that it could potentially cause people who have that paraphilia but don't act upon it to act upon it.

Or to give tips to people as to how to avoid having to face the justice system. I think that is wrong personally and encouraging it and explaining how to do it is just as wrong.
DorkySupergirl On November 02, 2017

, Canada
#18New Post! Dec 20, 2010 @ 23:40:31
@DiscordTiger Said

"If I did it", isn't really banned though.

Many books stores won't carry (as to not piss people off) it but you can get it special order. Same with libraries, sure most will not have it, but if there is one out there some where, they will lend it.

Both books may be pieces of trash not worth wiping your butt on, but its hard to actually truly ban something. Though obscenity laws might be their best bet, but still there may be copies out there. I think that might be why they went after him once the item was mailed. (vs the amazon self publishing/selling thingy). And it was due to public outcry that Amazon pulled it. They didn't want to piss their customers off, rather than the content was illegal.

**I don't know, nor do I want to know, if the actual content is illegal. I don't want to read the book. but I am assuming, it is borderline material, that is offensive, but not sure if it is enough to be criminal. Just based on if if were way past that criminal line, he would have been arrested/charged or convicted sooner.

Thank for that, I misunderstood and thought they banned the book, stop publishing it and no one was allowed to sell it, the one by OJ. I was wondering why that could be banned and this one about molesting kids not be banned,
DiscordTiger On December 04, 2021
The Queen of Random

Administrator

Emerald City, United States (g
#19New Post! Dec 20, 2010 @ 23:43:54
@DorkySupergirl Said

Thank for that, I misunderstood and thought they banned the book, stop publishing it and no one was allowed to sell it, the one by OJ. I was wondering why that could be banned and this one about molesting kids not be banned,

there are 3 copies available on amazon

i think the problem with that book is where the profits would go. Since the family could not just get it stopped on content alone, they went after the money, which they could attack.
buffalobill90 On July 12, 2013
Powered by tea

Viaticum, United Kingdom
#22New Post! Dec 20, 2010 @ 23:57:04
@jmo Said

I don't think that you can make someone a paedophile, I assume he's been arrested for encouraging people to partake in illegal activities such as child molestation.

I haven't read the news story, or the book, but I heard that he was arrested under state obscenity laws.
lil_bear01 On February 18, 2011

Deleted

In my igloo, Canada
#23New Post! Dec 20, 2010 @ 23:57:39
Don't know if this clarifies anything, but it does stand very firm on some issues relating to the thread.

https://www.lorenavedon.com/laws.htm

I also found one for Canada!

https://mypage.uniserve.ca/~lswong/laws.html
boxerdc On December 18, 2012

Deleted

#24New Post! Dec 21, 2010 @ 00:01:26
@buffalobill90 Said

As such, if this paedophile's guide is only about how to be a paedophile, it doesn't necessarily contain any guidance on how to conduct criminal activities, unlike, for example, the Anarchist's Cookbook. A mental disorder can hardly be 'encouraged', can it?

I believe that this book was supposed to be a guide on how to live your life as a pedophile within the bounds of the law..

Now, I've not read it, and I have no desire to do so, but I'd guess that it's more of a "look, don't touch" sort of thing.. as that's the only way I could understand it being legal.

So, it's not criminal, just creepy and wrong.
DorkySupergirl On November 02, 2017

, Canada
#25New Post! Dec 21, 2010 @ 00:07:14
The book contained sexually explicit materials that violated the obscenity laws in Florida. I made a lengthy post about it here and how each state finds out if the book violates that law or not. Its on page one. They apply the Miller test to it to determine, in this case when Miller test was applied, it violated the laws in Florida so that is why he was arrested.
calmdownbaby On December 28, 2010

Virginia Beach, Virginia
#26New Post! Dec 21, 2010 @ 19:56:57
@boxerdc Said

I believe that this book was supposed to be a guide on how to live your life as a pedophile within the bounds of the law..

Now, I've not read it, and I have no desire to do so, but I'd guess that it's more of a "look, don't touch" sort of thing.. as that's the only way I could understand it being legal.

So, it's not criminal, just creepy and wrong.

That's the best description I've read of what the book actually contains. I've read portions of it and, so far, the super-inflammatory title seems misleading. Maybe he intended this public outcry and that's why he chose such a title? Who knows. Maybe he's just a shameless attention whore.

Regardless, the parts of the book that I read dealt with how sexual relationships between children and adults have evolved into something very taboo in our modern world while, historically, it was perfectly fine for a 40 year old man to marry a 12 year old girl and promptly impregnate her. The other parts I read appeared to be him explaining that having a sexual urge for children is something that can be controlled and doesn't have to be something that is physically acted upon. It actually seemed as though he was trying to reach out to other people like him and get them to realize that they shouldn't physically harm children.

So, yeah, I can totally see how that's so awful and because the title of his book nauseates us as a society, we should condone stripping him of his freedom of speech and banning his thoughts.

We're already getting dangerously close to the era of prosecuting people for 'thought crimes'. It scares me to witness such a mob mentality when it comes to stuff like this. So many people I've heard, both online and in person, are willing to lynch this guy and yet very, very few have taken a little time to even skim through a couple of pages to see what they're condemning.

Anyway, I googled it and found some pages from the actual book if anyone cares to take a look. There might be more elsewhere. I haven't read the whole thing but despite it's overall creepiness, I have yet to find the sexually explicit parts that would break any obscenity laws. Still scratching my head in confusion..but that's nothing new.

Here are some excerpts from the book..
Jennifer1984 On July 20, 2022
Returner and proud

Penzance, United Kingdom
#27New Post! Dec 21, 2010 @ 23:27:09
@DorkySupergirl Said

There was another thread about this on here, I forget by who and what the title was, I do remember stating that I would not be surprised of the author violated US obscenity laws.

In answer to your question, I was under the impression that obscenity laws in US deals only with things that are sexual in nature and would not have anything to do with a book about torture, like the book you mention. I could be wrong on that, but that was my understanding of this law.

They apply the Miller test and this is why in one state it can be acceptable and in one state be declared violating the obscenity law. The miller test has three parts.

1. does the work lack scientific, political, literary or artistic value
2. does the work describe in an offensive way, sexual explicit conduct defined by state law and finally
3. average person in community find the work appealing to prurient interest.

Based on this, the book could be fine in Colorado but not okay in Florida.

A different set of criteria exists in the UK, which (as was established by the case of D H Lawrence's book Lady Chatterley's Lover) is as good as unworkable. The criteria for establishing obscenity is whether the material is considered "Likely to corrupt and deprave".

Now, the moot point here, is.... Is it the material that corrupts and depraves, or would the reader already be corrupt and depraved in the first place, to consider reading it..?

I'm not a lawyer, so the argument is well outside the field of my knowledge or experience, but it does make a point here.....

With the exception of academics and criminologists, the only people likely to read this are those who are already likely to be prone to commit such acts. Therefore, the material, in itself, cannot be obscene under the above definition.

Whilst the work may be considered to be some sort of paedophile's guidance manual, the author is not legally responsible for any acts committed by those who read his work.

When it is considered that the book is likely to make the author into a social pariah, one feels that he must have had a motive for writing it that was strong enough to override his personal concerns for his standing in society. Only he knows what that may be, for sure, the rest of us can only guess..... and if he says the work was intended as a serious discussion document on the subject, then who are we to nay..?

I haven't seen the book, I haven't read it. I might do so if I were involved in study into the subject..... but it would be with a peg on my nose.

Censoring any publication, for any reason, is a very serious thing to do... even if we instinctively buck against the subject matter. Censorship on the grounds of obscenity - which is such a subjective thing - is a legal minefield.

Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: << · 1 2

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs