'No foetal pain before 24 weeks'

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: 1 2 3 · >>
SparklyKatie On March 07, 2014
\m//O_O\\m/

Sheffield, United Kingdom
#1New Post! Jun 25, 2010 @ 10:59:14
There is no new evidence to show foetuses feel pain in the womb before 24 weeks, and so no reason to challenge the abortion limit, UK doctors say.

The Royal College of Obstetricians and Gynaecologists' review said foetuses are "undeveloped and sedated".

Brain connections are not fully formed, and the environment of the womb creates a state of induced sleep, like unconsciousness, they add.

https://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/10403496.stm
hallucinogenic_lipstick On January 25, 2022
Cocksocket.

Ely, Cambridgeshire, United Ki
#2New Post! Jun 25, 2010 @ 12:06:06
I was quite sad to hear this, as much as I'm pro choice i've always felt the abortion limit should be changed, 24 weeks is too far along (unless there is a medical reason of course).

You feel baby start moving between 15 and 20 weeks
angelcake On January 18, 2016
Say whaaa

Eastleigh, United Kingdom
#3New Post! Jun 25, 2010 @ 12:09:10
You can feel it earlier in subsequent pregnancies (seeing as you know what you're feeling).

I think it's far too late. Babies can hear, and respond to noises and pressure (usually from external poking!) at about 20 weeks.
Kristy69 On September 14, 2014
Carly's Mommy

Underneath the Cyanide Sun....
#4New Post! Jun 25, 2010 @ 13:19:47
@hallucinogenic_lipstick Said

I was quite sad to hear this, as much as I'm pro choice i've always felt the abortion limit should be changed, 24 weeks is too far along (unless there is a medical reason of course).

I agree with this 100%.
24 weeks is more than past half of your pregnancy.

My limit is 16 weeks.
By then, you've had plenty of notice of your pregnancy and more than anough time to make the decision.

By then it has a defined gender, you can feel it move, and it's actually moving/resembling/acting like a baby.
Canser07 On June 25, 2010

#5New Post! Jun 25, 2010 @ 13:28:07
So you are saying that the unborn child is in a sedated stage. A sedated sleep ? to me that isent true, not to argue but when i was pregnant my daughter never stoped moving. She was so active i could see her moving in my stomach, i could actually cup her bottom in my hand . I also have 4d ultrasounds that shows her with her eyes open. There is no way that active child was unconscious . For knowing that I dont believe that they cant fell pain either.
Kimmler On February 03, 2011

Deleted

Stockport, United Kingdom
#6New Post! Jun 25, 2010 @ 14:11:28
"Anne Quesney, international policy and parliamentary adviser at Marie Stopes, which provides abortions, said: "The RCOG's findings should give comfort and reassurance to any woman who finds herself in the extremely distressing position of having to make the decision to terminate a pregnancy at a later gestation."

Let's hope it does give them comfort as I support this.
someone_else On August 30, 2012
Not a dude.

Deleted

American Alps, Washington
#7New Post! Jun 25, 2010 @ 14:40:42
@Canser07 Said

So you are saying that the unborn child is in a sedated stage. A sedated sleep ? to me that isent true, not to argue but when i was pregnant my daughter never stoped moving. She was so active i could see her moving in my stomach, i could actually cup her bottom in my hand . I also have 4d ultrasounds that shows her with her eyes open. There is no way that active child was unconscious . For knowing that I dont believe that they cant fell pain either.

How far along were you when you had that 4d ultrasound?
What they're saying is that before a certain point, the baby doesn't feel pain. I'm not agreeing, just clarifying.
gingernproud On January 16, 2013
In need of a dunkin.

Doncaster, United Kingdom
#8New Post! Jun 25, 2010 @ 15:19:35
@hallucinogenic_lipstick Said

i feel the same..
i had a friend whose daughter gave birth at 23 weeks and a couple of days (which was confirmed by scan before the birth) due to complications, the baby survived and shes now in nursery school.
im pro choice but i agree 24 weeks is far to high because of the advancers in medical science babys can and do survive now a lot earlier than they once did.its about time the gestation period at which abortions are allowed is lowered to coincide with this.i.m.o
deeFXCKINGjay On January 21, 2012
Bannned

, Kazakhstan
#9New Post! Jun 25, 2010 @ 15:21:40
ITT: people think they know better than gynaecologist.
arcades On August 08, 2013

Northbay, Canada
#10New Post! Jun 25, 2010 @ 17:40:04
I am pro choice but if it takes you 24 weeks to decide weather to have an abortion or not then there should be some consequence for that, like a fine or something.
Say whaaa

#11New Post! Jun 25, 2010 @ 17:45:29
@deeFXCKINGjay Said

You'd be surprised about the arguments pregnant women have with obstetrician, and how right they are to.

A baby at 24 weeks reacts to sounds, moves, sucks it's thumb and opens it's eyes. While they might think that it doesn't cause any pain I fail to see how they can conclusively prove they don't, it's not like you can ask an aborted foetus.

IMO 24 weeks is far far too high for an abortion for anything other than medical reasons and no amount of justification will change that.
Say whaaa

#12New Post! Jun 25, 2010 @ 17:51:45
@deeFXCKINGjay Said

And just btw a gynaecologist doesn't necessarily have anything to do with pregnant women or a foetus unless they're a obstetrician as well.
\m//O_O\\m/

#13New Post! Jun 25, 2010 @ 17:57:58
@Canser07 Said

No no, I'm not saying anything. The Royal College of Obstetricians and Gynaecologists are and whether anyone thinks it's true or not is irrelevant. I move around in my sleep, I've even woken up with a bump on my head before and no memory of how I got it, moving doesn't mean you automatically feel pain.

I'm actually wondering if some people bother reading posted articles as it explains why there.

\m//O_O\\m/

#14New Post! Jun 25, 2010 @ 18:03:03
Quote:
It found that nerve connections in the cortex, the area which processes responses to pain in the brain, does not form properly before 24 weeks.

They never said babies at 24 weeks couldn't move, open their eyes or anything mentioned previously, just that the pain connections weren't formed. A baby moving at 24 weeks isn't proof they do feel pain.
Say whaaa

#15New Post! Jun 25, 2010 @ 18:03:43
The article clearly states that it is 'like' unconciousness. It doesn't mean that the baby is unresponsive and unaware of things but it may well mean it doesn't 'feel' pain.

Personally it's not enough for me and I wouldn't abort, however if it is a comfort to a woman that has to have a late term abortion for medical reasons then I really think they deserve that comfort (even if it eventually turns out to be false!)
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: 1 2 3 · >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Politics Forum - Some Rudeness Allowed

Subscribe to topic prefs