Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: << · 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 · >>
Cpat92 On May 16, 2021
It's all or nothing

Lauderhill, Florida
#31New Post! Jun 07, 2014 @ 16:19:33
@white_swan53 Said

What was said and the way it was said is not protected under Freedom of speech '. Check out the link in post #23

You can guess all you want to . It wasn't a black woman she was threatning .

She was arrested and is charged with assault.

assault

law : the crime of trying or threatening to hurt someone physically

1a: a violent physical or verbal attack

What was said isn't protected under Freedom of Speech .

Well, she was arrested for being ignorant and rude for threatening someone who simply enforced a rule. She wanted to be on her OFP. She didn't think about what could happen and she didn't think of the words she said. You're on a plane, you can't get mad if someone says or asks you to turn your phone off.

That's why I said ignorance and idiocy at it's finest.
Hypnotica On October 08, 2023

Banned

Steel City (Sheffield), United
#32New Post! Jun 07, 2014 @ 16:19:49
ANyway Im off to watch the Teletubbies at least they seem semi intelligent.
white_swan53 On October 07, 2020

n/a, New Mexico
#33New Post! Jun 07, 2014 @ 16:21:28
@chaski Said

18 U.S. Code § 249 - Hate crime acts

(a) In General.—
(1) Offenses involving actual or perceived race, color, religion, or national origin.— Whoever, whether or not acting under color of law, willfully causes bodily injury to any person or, through the use of fire, a firearm, a dangerous weapon, or an explosive or incendiary device, attempts to cause bodily injury to any person, because of the actual or perceived race, color, religion, or national origin of any person....

(2) Offenses involving actual or perceived religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, or disability.—
(A) In general.— Whoever, whether or not acting under color of law, in any circumstance described in subparagraph (B) or paragraph (3), willfully causes bodily injury to any person or, through the use of fire, a firearm, a dangerous weapon, or an explosive or incendiary device, attempts to cause bodily injury to any person, because of the actual or perceived religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, or disability of any person—

(c) Definitions.— In this section—
(1) the term “bodily injury” has the meaning given such term in section 1365 (h)(4) of this title, but does not include solely emotional or psychological harm to the victim;

The situation in question doesn't seem to meet the Federal violation criterion.

Thank you .

Banned

#34New Post! Jun 07, 2014 @ 16:21:57
@Cpat92 Said

Well, she was arrested for being ignorant and rude for threatening someone who simply enforced a rule. She wanted to be on her OFP. She didn't think about what could happen and she didn't think of the words she said. You're on a plane, you can't get mad if someone says or asks you to turn your phone off.

I agree with all that you just said. I just disagree with the racist part.

If a soldier said to a member of the taliban, "Ive killed people like you". Is that racism or a statement of fact.

If a judge says "Ive put people away who are like you", and the judge is French and the defendent is Chinese, is that racist?

n/a, New Mexico
#35New Post! Jun 07, 2014 @ 16:23:35
@Hypnotica Said

And this demonstartes just how retarded PC is. You see someone of another race/colour/skin nationality and you have to step on eggshells, because if you say something that isnt "nice" even if they piss you the f*** off. Your automatically a racist.

I admit saying that you kill people, does borderline on being a psycho, but this isnt about if she is a psycho or not. Its about if saying that you kill white people is a racist remark.

In my eyes it isnt.

But then again, I think anyone who reads my posts will agree, I dont give a f**k about PC and I dont walk around stepping on eggshells.

No it doesn't demonstarte any thing. He is guessing about something that didn't happen on that plane, that day ,about people doesn't know.

n/a, New Mexico
#36New Post! Jun 07, 2014 @ 16:25:31
@Cpat92 Said

'ignorant and rude' are not crimes .
Cpat92 On May 16, 2021
It's all or nothing

Lauderhill, Florida
#37New Post! Jun 07, 2014 @ 16:27:55
@white_swan53 Said

'ignorant and rude' are not crimes .

They are not, but her being ignorant and rude plus her attitude led to her being arrested. It was what she said and how she said it. The racist part of her comment is irrelevant to the fact that she threatened someone.

n/a, New Mexico
#38New Post! Jun 07, 2014 @ 16:31:01
@Hypnotica Said

That is quite different.
It might just be she kills people who tell her to turn her phone off. And they all happen to be white.

Teletubbies, semi intelligent.
chaski On about 19 hours ago
Stalker

Tree at Floydgirrl's Window,
#39New Post! Jun 07, 2014 @ 16:36:31
@white_swan53 Said

Thank you .

No problem.

Also... various states, including Tennessee (where this woman is being charged), have their own laws/statutes.

Typically "hate speech" is still "protected" under our constitution.

However, many state laws go beyond personal physical injury. Property is often included (destruction or damage to churches, synagogues, meeting places, homes, etc).

As to verbal assaults... some states seem to cover it (sort of) others don't.

For example: In Virginia if you threaten a person over the phone (and the victims reports it) you will most likely be arrested and charged. On the other hand, in Virginia, if you threaten a person in public (say on a street corner) you probably won't get arrested. This has to do with "stalking" issues. But (getting back on point) I suspect that if you threaten someone in Virginia, on the phone, and use racist or other "hate speech"... you may well be charged with a "hate crime".

Example #2: In Florida (home of "stand your ground" ) you can be arrested for assault for literally just touching someone who does not want you to touch them. Add in some "hate speech"... and I am not sure what you would be charged with in Florida.

n/a, New Mexico
#40New Post! Jun 07, 2014 @ 16:46:00
@Cpat92 Said

They are not, but her being ignorant and rude plus her attitude led to her being arrested. It was what she said and how she said it. The racist part of her comment is irrelevant to the fact that she threatened someone.

Exactly, that is why what she said is not protected under Freedom of Speech .

Quote:
Quote:
the Court warned that if government regulates the content of ideas, rather than the mode of delivery rather than the mode of delivery, the Court will strike down the regulation, even if only "unprotected" speech is affected.

IMO , She could have said 'I kill b****es like you '. and the middle aged white woman probally would have just ask for a different seat.
It is the words 'kill and 'white ' used together in an angry and threatening way that “were causing anxiety and fear throughout the cabin.” and got that plane turned around.
Cpat92 On May 16, 2021
It's all or nothing

Lauderhill, Florida
#41New Post! Jun 07, 2014 @ 16:51:34
@white_swan53 Said

Exactly, that is why what she said is not protected under Freedom of Speech .

IMO , She could have said 'I kill b****es like you '. and the middle aged white woman probally would have just ask for a different seat.
It is the words 'kill and 'white ' used together in an angry and threatening way that “were causing anxiety and fear throughout the cabin.” and got that plane turned around.

For what she said she deserved to get arrested. Thank God she didn't follow through with any action.
Willi On August 21, 2018

northinmind,
#42New Post! Jun 07, 2014 @ 17:02:06
@white_swan53 Said

Okay, if it had of been
" I kill black people like you " and had been said by a whilte person .
or
' I kill mexican people like you ' again by a white person .
or
'I kill indian people like you ' again by a white person

Or
I kill insert any other >>> ethnic group << like you ' again by a white person.

Would it also not be a hate crime ?

if I say ...
and I ain't.

I kill internet people like you.

as has been said, we need to look at who/what "internet people" is to that person.
did a white boss just fire her?

@Hypnotica Said

But this site in particular seems to bring out the worst of me at times.

better to punch a screen, then a real person?

n/a, New Mexico
#43New Post! Jun 07, 2014 @ 17:08:00
@chaski Said

No problem.

Also... various states, including Tennessee (where this woman is being charged), have their own laws/statutes.

Typically "hate speech" is still "protected" under our constitution.

However, many state laws go beyond personal physical injury. Property is often included (destruction or damage to churches, synagogues, meeting places, homes, etc).

As to verbal assaults... some states seem to cover it (sort of) others don't.

For example: In Virginia if you threaten a person over the phone (and the victims reports it) you will most likely be arrested and charged. On the other hand, in Virginia, if you threaten a person in public (say on a street corner) you probably won't get arrested. This has to do with "stalking" issues. But (getting back on point) I suspect that if you threaten someone in Virginia, on the phone, and use racist or other "hate speech"... you may well be charged with a "hate crime".

Example #2: In Florida (home of "stand your ground" ) you can be arrested for assault for literally just touching someone who does not want you to touch them. Add in some "hate speech"... and I am not sure what you would be charged with in Florida.

That law in Virginia seems kind of backwards , it just seems that a person getting in some ones face in person would be a lot more likely to turn into something physical a lot quicker that someone making noise by yelling and ranting over the phone .

No offence any one in Florida, but it seems that what a person is charged with on any given day,all boils down to what color of underware the court clerk is wearing that day.

Banned

#44New Post! Jun 07, 2014 @ 17:15:44
@Willi Said

better to punch a screen, then a real person?

Nah when I used to be an angry man, the people I got angry over were worth the damage and the cost (both financially and to my mind).

The people on here just aint worth buying a new monitor over.

Its like that saying "A lot of you would be dead, but Im not man enough to do prison time".
Willi On August 21, 2018

northinmind,
#45New Post! Jun 07, 2014 @ 17:25:40
@Hypnotica Said

Nah when I used to be an angry man, the people I got angry over were worth the damage and the cost (both financially and to my mind).

why?
what is it they did?
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: << · 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 · >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs