The Forum Site - Join the conversation
Forums: Society & Lifestyles:
Kids

Anyone here been or is being homeschooled?

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
catt35 On June 05, 2012

, Illinois
#1New Post! Mar 12, 2006 @ 19:12:30
My 14 yo daughter and 13 yo son are both in advanced classes at school, very philosophical about life and it's many issues, and both fed up with their school system and how it's run. They have both expressed their desire to be homeschooled to me, but I am afraid they won't listen to me, as they currently do not on other things.
shaggyjebus On August 26, 2008

Deleted

Goodlettsville, Tennessee
#2New Post! Mar 12, 2006 @ 19:15:40
From what I've heard, homeschooling doesn't have to be the parent teaching the kid. I think there are several different ways to do it, but I'm not sure.

I've known several people who have been homeschooled, and they have all been very smart. I mean, I've seen a seventeen-year-old girl smarter than most twenty-somethings!

If your kids want to be homeschooled, wouldn't they perhaps have some initiative and would then finish their assignments wouldn't having to be prodded?
catt35 On June 05, 2012

, Illinois
#3New Post! Mar 13, 2006 @ 13:00:57
@shaggyjebus Said

If your kids want to be homeschooled, wouldn't they perhaps have some initiative and would then finish their assignments wouldn't having to be prodded?

Yeah, that's exactly what I asked em. My daughter (the 14 yo) would do well at homeschooling I think...she's pretty self-disciplined...more so than me. It's my never-wants-to-do-homework son that worries me.
paramour On July 30, 2014

Purgatory Beach,
#4New Post! Mar 13, 2006 @ 14:33:48
If you're going to be the one to homeschool them and not someone else, then I'm not sure why you would expect your children to listen to you any more than they already do.

I've known quite a few kids who were homeschooled at various points & for various lengths of time. The ones it worked out for were all well-behaved and did not have to be coerced into doing work, chores, etc.

In the meantime, my previous neighborhood included SEVERAL kids who were homeschooled. These kids were hooligans. I don't think they spent much time at all on schooling as they seemed to invest much more of their time in recess, doing what they wanted, talking back to anyone around, and harassing their neighbors who stayed home during the day.

It really depends upon the kid AND the parent(s). I've seen kids come out of homeschooling who were quite intelligent and others who still acted like they were 6-years-old after they graduated. They had no social skills and could not connect with others their own age.

If you're going to homeschool them, you have to be ready to make sure they do what they're supposed to be . . . else your previously intelligent kiddos quickly turn into the average dimwit seen in schools today. It IS a lot of work for both you and them and you do not want to take the decision lightly.
catt35 On June 05, 2012

, Illinois
#5New Post! Mar 14, 2006 @ 05:39:22
@paramour Said
If you're going to be the one to homeschool them and not someone else, then I'm not sure why you would expect your children to listen to you any more than they already do.

I've known quite a few kids who were homeschooled at various points & for various lengths of time. The ones it worked out for were all well-behaved and did not have to be coerced into doing work, chores, etc.

In the meantime, my previous neighborhood included SEVERAL kids who were homeschooled. These kids were hooligans. I don't think they spent much time at all on schooling as they seemed to invest much more of their time in recess, doing what they wanted, talking back to anyone around, and harassing their neighbors who stayed home during the day.

It really depends upon the kid AND the parent(s). I've seen kids come out of homeschooling who were quite intelligent and others who still acted like they were 6-years-old after they graduated. They had no social skills and could not connect with others their own age.

If you're going to homeschool them, you have to be ready to make sure they do what they're supposed to be . . . else your previously intelligent kiddos quickly turn into the average dimwit seen in schools today. It IS a lot of work for both you and them and you do not want to take the decision lightly.

Thank you for this response, it makes a lot of sense to me. The alot of work part isn't something I really want to partake in...I keep trying to tell my kids if I wanted to be a teacher, I would go get paid for doing it...lol.
WildChild On February 16, 2013
Perv Magnet

Southern Middle, Tennessee
#6New Post! Mar 26, 2006 @ 04:54:04
I am a homeschooling Mom. My oldest daughter just graduated at 17. She's smart as a whip but she's also a smart a** sometimes LOL.

It's a job that takes a lot of dedication. There are many ways to do it. I do lessons every morning and then they do their work on computer, not on the internet but on computer disc that I order. I send in all thier work and it is graded by the umbrella school and the grades are submitted to the state.

The laws are different for every state on homeschooling . Some states require you to be registered with an Umbrella scholl and some don't.

I'd be glad to off you more info through PM if needed.

When I started homeschooling years ago I taught my kids that when we are doing school work I'm their teacher and they will treat me as such. I only wished they would listen to me all the time as well as they do when they are in class.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs