Australia

The Little Aussie Soapbox

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: << · 1 2 3 ...38 39 40 41 42 · >>
shadowen On March 22, 2024

Bunyip Bend, Australia
#586New Post! Apr 26, 2021 @ 16:17:17
Truly shameful that the government (state) can allow 85,000 people to attend a footy match whilst restricting those who can attend the dawn service in the city to just 1,400.

Bunyip Bend, Australia
#587New Post! Apr 26, 2021 @ 16:17:45
ANZAC Day

I saw a kid marchin’ with medals on his chest.
He marched alongside Diggers marching six abreast.
He knew that it was ANZAC Day - he walked along with pride.
He did his best to keep in step with the Diggers by his side.

And when the march was over the kid was rather tired.
A Digger said “Whose medals, son?” to which the kid replied:
“They belong to daddy, but he did not come back.
He died up in New Guinea on a lonely jungle track”.

The kid looked rather sad then and a tear came to his eye.
The Digger said “Don’t cry my son and I will tell you why.
Your daddy marched with us today - all the blooming way.
We Diggers know that he was there - it’s like that on ANZAC Day”.

The kid looked rather puzzled and didn’t understand,
But the Digger went on talking and started to wave his hand.
“For this great land we live in, there’s a price we have to pay
For we all love fun and merriment in this country where we live.
The price was that some soldier his precious life must give.

For you to go to school my lad and worship God at will,
Someone had to pay the price so the Diggers paid the bill.
Your daddy died for us my son - for all things good and true.
I wonder if you understand the things I’ve said to you”.

The kid looked up at the Digger - just for a little while
And with a changed expression, said, with a lovely smile:
“I know my dad marched here today - this is ANZAC Day.
I know he did. I know he did, all the bloomin’ way”.

- D. Hunter

Bunyip Bend, Australia
#588New Post! Apr 26, 2021 @ 16:19:14
We see them now, our servicemen of the war to end all wars, through a photographic lens that is tinged in sepia; faces seen stern, or laughing with mates, in black and white; shown moving in the film of the day in somewhat stilted motion.

It shapes our thinking.

Their letters and their diary entries, in copperplate handwriting and more formal in expression than our modern idiom, adds a layer to the sense that they were somehow different; that their world, their hopes, their aspirations and fears are removed from ours by more than just the passage of 100 years. They are a generation seemingly set apart. And at one level they are.

When the fighting finally stopped and they returned from France, from Palestine, from service abroad back to Australia, the land of their birth or where they now called home, so much had changed - family, friends, community but most of all themselves. Our New Zealand brothers in arms experienced the same.

The certainties of 1914 had been washed away in waves of loss and failed hope, now replaced by the strangeness of a world if not at peace, then one, at least, no longer at war.

Children met for the first time; partners and parents rediscovered; mates mourned over and remembered, and so much had changed. They were, through fate and bloody circumstance ANZACs by name but more essentially men changed forever by war.

And for those who had crossed a foreign shore (over) one hundred years ago this morning - under fire, amidst the terrible new sounds and sights of battle, of dying, of calls for courage and for duty done, who had improbably survived to see their world made new, what must they have felt on their return?

The long journey from Gallipoli to the breaking of the German line in November 1918, marked by failure and success, loss and life long mateship had left its indelible mark on them and their country.

But at another level there is little that separates them from we who gather to remember. Like us, they were men of their time - responding to their events in their world in the context of the society and families in which they lived. Like us, they dreamed of something better; they loved and were loved in return; were prepared to fight for their beliefs; were, like us, prey to fears and human despair.

It makes their sacrifice, and their capacity to endure, real despite the passage of time. It gives colour to those shades of black and white.

And there is a line, too, that connects all of us to those who lived in this country 100 years ago. It is a line rooted in our freedom of expression and of belief, and the affirmation of our democratic nation state.

That is why we remember them - the first ANZACs and all of those who have followed. They left us that legacy and we, in turn, commemorate their sacrifice when we ask what legacy we shall leave for those who follow us.

We have not forgotten and we are defined, at least in part, by that act of remembrance. It makes us who we are and reminds us, in the face of an unknown future, who we can be – courageous and compassionate, resolute and resilient, - a people of our own time, reaching back one hundred years with pride and solemnity, looking forward with a sense of purpose to a better world.

- Lieutenant General David Morrison AO

Bunyip Bend, Australia
#589New Post! Apr 26, 2021 @ 16:19:34
"They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old;
Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning
We will remember them."

LEST WE FORGET

Bunyip Bend, Australia
#590New Post! Apr 26, 2021 @ 16:29:24
The NZ government need to pick a side. They need to decide if money is their over-riding concern or if they stand for something more. At a time when China are bullying and threatening not just Australia but many pacific island nations NZ is remaining silent. At a time when China is trying to extinguish democracy in Hong Kong NZ is remaining silent. The NZ government remain silent over China's increasingly aggressive stance towards Taiwan. They remain silent over China's appalling human rights abuses. Why? Because China is such an important trading partner. And yet small island nations like the Solomon Islands have spoken out against China despite the financial cost.

NZ are our brothers but so far instead of support all we have had is lectures about how we need to kowtow to China, like NZ. How we mustn't say or do anything that might displease China, like NZ. At the same time the other 5 eyes nations (to varying degrees) have taken a stand against China. If NZ continue to prioritise appeasing China and ignoring the concerns of the other 5 eyes nations then perhaps it is time NZ was suspended from the 5 eyes alliance.

Bunyip Bend, Australia
#591New Post! Sep 16, 2021 @ 12:05:49
Nice to see that Australia means so much to Biden. WE were among the first countries to commit ground troops to Afghanistan in support of the US and yet, after 20 years of operations (and with ground forces still in country), Biden doesn't even bother to discuss his withdrawal plans with us. Withdrawal plans which would obviously directly impact upon our involvement in Afghanistan. When we voice concerns over the withdrawal process (eg BAB) are concerns are ignored. Not dismissed. Just ignored. Great ally. Now we have entered into an extremely important new alliance with the US and UK and Biden can't even remember the name of our PM.

Bunyip Bend, Australia
#592New Post! Sep 16, 2021 @ 12:06:37
All Blacks good. All Whites bad. Go NZ.

Bunyip Bend, Australia
#593New Post! Sep 22, 2021 @ 11:19:55
Nice little earthquake today. Made for a rather interesting 30 seconds or so...

Bunyip Bend, Australia
#594New Post! Apr 24, 2022 @ 16:28:51
In memory of the 8,709 Australian soldiers who were killed, and the 20,000 who were injured fighting in the Gallipoli campaign.

Also remembering the 2,721 NZ fallen and the 34,072 dead from the UK, 9,798 from France, 1,358 from British India and the 49 dead from Newfoundland. Also remembering the 56,643 ottoman troops who lost their lives, and the nearly quarter of a million troops who were injured.

Lest We Forget.

Bunyip Bend, Australia
#595New Post! Apr 24, 2022 @ 16:31:27
ANZAC Day

I saw a kid marchin’ with medals on his chest.
He marched alongside Diggers marching six abreast.
He knew that it was ANZAC Day - he walked along with pride.
He did his best to keep in step with the Diggers by his side.

And when the march was over the kid was rather tired.
A Digger said “Whose medals, son?” to which the kid replied:
“They belong to daddy, but he did not come back.
He died up in New Guinea on a lonely jungle track”.

The kid looked rather sad then and a tear came to his eye.
The Digger said “Don’t cry my son and I will tell you why.
Your daddy marched with us today - all the blooming way.
We Diggers know that he was there - it’s like that on ANZAC Day”.

The kid looked rather puzzled and didn’t understand,
But the Digger went on talking and started to wave his hand.
“For this great land we live in, there’s a price we have to pay
For we all love fun and merriment in this country where we live.
The price was that some soldier his precious life must give.

For you to go to school my lad and worship God at will,
Someone had to pay the price so the Diggers paid the bill.
Your daddy died for us my son - for all things good and true.
I wonder if you understand the things I’ve said to you”.

The kid looked up at the Digger - just for a little while
And with a changed expression, said, with a lovely smile:
“I know my dad marched here today - this is ANZAC Day.
I know he did. I know he did, all the bloomin’ way”.

- D. Hunter

Bunyip Bend, Australia
#596New Post! Apr 24, 2022 @ 16:34:20
We see them now, our servicemen of the war to end all wars, through a photographic lens that is tinged in sepia; faces seen stern, or laughing with mates, in black and white; shown moving in the film of the day in somewhat stilted motion.

It shapes our thinking.

Their letters and their diary entries, in copperplate handwriting and more formal in expression than our modern idiom, adds a layer to the sense that they were somehow different; that their world, their hopes, their aspirations and fears are removed from ours by more than just the passage of 100 years. They are a generation seemingly set apart. And at one level they are.

When the fighting finally stopped and they returned from France, from Palestine, from service abroad back to Australia, the land of their birth or where they now called home, so much had changed - family, friends, community but most of all themselves. Our New Zealand brothers in arms experienced the same.

The certainties of 1914 had been washed away in waves of loss and failed hope, now replaced by the strangeness of a world if not at peace, then one, at least, no longer at war.

Children met for the first time; partners and parents rediscovered; mates mourned over and remembered, and so much had changed. They were, through fate and bloody circumstance ANZACs by name but more essentially men changed forever by war.

And for those who had crossed a foreign shore (over) one hundred years ago this morning - under fire, amidst the terrible new sounds and sights of battle, of dying, of calls for courage and for duty done, who had improbably survived to see their world made new, what must they have felt on their return?

The long journey from Gallipoli to the breaking of the German line in November 1918, marked by failure and success, loss and life long mateship had left its indelible mark on them and their country.

But at another level there is little that separates them from we who gather to remember. Like us, they were men of their time - responding to their events in their world in the context of the society and families in which they lived. Like us, they dreamed of something better; they loved and were loved in return; were prepared to fight for their beliefs; were, like us, prey to fears and human despair.

It makes their sacrifice, and their capacity to endure, real despite the passage of time. It gives colour to those shades of black and white.

And there is a line, too, that connects all of us to those who lived in this country 100 years ago. It is a line rooted in our freedom of expression and of belief, and the affirmation of our democratic nation state.

That is why we remember them - the first ANZACs and all of those who have followed. They left us that legacy and we, in turn, commemorate their sacrifice when we ask what legacy we shall leave for those who follow us.

We have not forgotten and we are defined, at least in part, by that act of remembrance. It makes us who we are and reminds us, in the face of an unknown future, who we can be – courageous and compassionate, resolute and resilient, - a people of our own time, reaching back one hundred years with pride and solemnity, looking forward with a sense of purpose to a better world.

- Lieutenant General David Morrison AO

Bunyip Bend, Australia
#597New Post! Apr 24, 2022 @ 16:35:01
"They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old;
Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning
We will remember them."

LEST WE FORGET

Bunyip Bend, Australia
#598New Post! Aug 15, 2022 @ 18:21:18

Bunyip Bend, Australia
#599New Post! Aug 15, 2022 @ 18:22:46

Bunyip Bend, Australia
#600New Post! Aug 15, 2022 @ 18:31:33