PLS: ? 53.99

ProfileJournalFriendsPostsPics

dookie
TFS Journal

dookie

Foolish Bombu

New Post! February 03, 2021 @ 09:57:34 pm
@mrmhead Said

Maybe you and your mates can get together one evening to enjoy a game of Kick the Can

Looking up the game I note it requires "physical fitness" which would seem to exclude a couch potato like myself.

@darkman666 Said

years ago, i played kicked the can with my ex-wife and her mother. i missed the can, but i kicked my mother-in-law's a** into the front yard accidently. well, the front door happen to be open by itself.

i am lucky, i opened the front door, before i kicked her in the ass. she could got hurt, if the front door wasn't open.

i still kept that can all these years.

Well, I can certainly see why she is now your ex-wife.

mrmhead

New Post! February 03, 2021 @ 11:13:23 pm
@dookie Said

Looking up the game I note it requires "physical fitness" which would seem to exclude a couch potato like myself.

Did you click the link? It is a memorable Twilight Zone episode.

Darkman666

New Post! February 04, 2021 @ 12:49:45 am
the original version of " kick the can " and roboot of the same version in revisited of the story.

the good news: neither version - the characters of the story kick the bucket.

dookie

Foolish Bombu

New Post! February 04, 2021 @ 08:03:09 am
@mrmhead Said

Did you click the link? It is a memorable Twilight Zone episode.

Yes. A classic episode from the description. My brother and I loved the show and mimicked Rod Serling giving his intros and outros. We must have missed this one.

dookie

Foolish Bombu

New Post! February 06, 2021 @ 10:21:17 am
Not much to report this morning from the Pure Land (AKA the park bench or wherever) I have been ploughing my way through the Dhammapada over the past few days. The translation is fairly dry to say the least but gems appear from out of the mist. A little phrase....... "Day and night, the mind delights in gentleness." The words struck me and stuck. They have already saved me from a few mental diatribes aimed at Boris Johnson - the mental processes mercifully cut off at the second or third "bastard". Afterwhich, the delight in gentleness! For a few moments at least.

Almost through the Dhammapada now and moving on to the Flower Ornament Scripture. I have often dipped into that in the past. D T Suzuki says of this work.....(he gives it its posh name)

“As to the Avatamsaka-Sutra, it is really the consummation of Buddhist thought, Buddhist sentiment, and Buddhist experience. To my mind, no religious literature in the world can ever approach the grandeur of conception, the depth of feeling, and the gigantic scale of composition, as attained by the sutra. Here not only deeply speculative minds find satisfaction, but humble spirits and heavily oppressed hearts, too, will have their burdens lightened. Abstract truths are so concretely, so symbolically represented here that one will finally come to a realization of the truth that even in a particle of dust the whole universe is seen reflected—not this visible universe only, but a vast system of universes, conceivable by the highest minds only.”

Humble spirits? Now there's a thing! As Thomas Merton once said, "we can never be humble enough."

Nevertheless it is a fine scripture. Still, if a scientific treatise is preferred or the morning paper, that's the way it goes.

The rain has held off. The forecast is that snow is on the way.

dookie

Foolish Bombu

New Post! September 21, 2021 @ 01:14:57 pm
Back in Oxfam, back in the Pure Land. Thinking about it (not always a good thing) what a mess it is when most seek to link "Jesus" with "Christ"......interchangeable. Look at the Early Church Fathers as they wrestled with "who" Jesus was. Look at the various early (and late!) Church councils where various divines anathematized each other (or worse!) over the wording of just how Jesus had in fact, been God! Then schisms between East and West Christendom over just how the Trinity was to be understood......as if it could be! Then along comes Islam, and hey ho! Jesus did not die on the cross! Allah's final word! He was just a prophet, no more. And so, back to the drawing board, a new adversary!

What is obscured is the simplicity that all has originated from "one", that therefore any particular contains the universal (as one DNA cell contains the blueprint for the whole body). Rather than seeking the "one", seeking the development of our own particularity and uniqueness by unity with what is the hidden ground of all "being"......instead some still claim a particular uniqueness for Jesus and sometimes more, that those who refuse to recognise him as "Lord" are the eternal goats of the gnashing teeth!

Christ....Tao.....Logos....Word......Buddha-nature....Brahman....Allah......Truth is one, "sages know it by various names".

Leon

New Post! September 21, 2021 @ 03:42:02 pm
@dookie Said

Back in Oxfam, back in the Pure Land. Thinking about it (not always a good thing) what a mess it is when most seek to link "Jesus" with "Christ"......interchangeable. Look at the Early Church Fathers as they wrestled with "who" Jesus was. Look at the various early (and late!) Church councils where various divines anathematized each other (or worse!) over the wording of just how Jesus had in fact, been God! Then schisms between East and West Christendom over just how the Trinity was to be understood......as if it could be! Then along comes Islam, and hey ho! Jesus did not die on the cross! Allah's final word! He was just a prophet, no more. And so, back to the drawing board, a new adversary!

What is obscured is the simplicity that all has originated from "one", that therefore any particular contains the universal (as one DNA cell contains the blueprint for the whole body). Rather than seeking the "one", seeking the development of our own particularity and uniqueness by unity with what is the hidden ground of all "being"......instead some still claim a particular uniqueness for Jesus and sometimes more, that those who refuse to recognise him as "Lord" are the eternal goats of the gnashing teeth!

Christ....Tao.....Logos....Word......Buddha-nature....Brahman....Allah......Truth is one, "sages know it by various names".

Hi Dookie, good to have you back on here.

And, nomenclature and various vessels aside, what is this truth, the best you can describe it, in your opinion?

dookie

Foolish Bombu

New Post! September 21, 2021 @ 06:06:18 pm
Hi Leon, thanks for the welcome. It seems I've gained a reputation (at least with the Electric Banana!) of being obscure. I'll try to keep it simple.

A three pronged answer. I'm a vulnerable person. Many jeer at faith but I need it. My faith is in Reality as being infinite compassion, infinite wisdom, infinite potential. It works for me. It has grown over the years from my wide reading and reflection.

Philosophically, I'm overwhelmed by the thought that the fact that there is undoubtedly something rather than nothing suggests that Reality has significance and is not simply a tale told by an idiot signifying nothing. That is not an argument, I'm not seeking to convince, just saying that is how I see it.

The third is to enter the realm of "mumbo jumbo" and possible obscurity. I can't help that. Maybe you need a grounding in so called "eastern" thought. Reality is "empty", it is not "truth" itself, not in the sense of being "this" rather than "that". Truth is not a "doctrine" or anything that can be put into words. Reality is freedom itself. In becoming "one" with it, we gain freedom ourselves. In freedom we respond to unfolding events as appropriate.

Obviously, all three "prongs" are inter-related. At least for me.

I continually search for greater clarity of mind and understanding.

That's it.

Leon

New Post! September 22, 2021 @ 07:19:44 am
@dookie Said

Hi Leon, thanks for the welcome. It seems I've gained a reputation (at least with the Electric Banana!) of being obscure. I'll try to keep it simple.

A three pronged answer. I'm a vulnerable person. Many jeer at faith but I need it. My faith is in Reality as being infinite compassion, infinite wisdom, infinite potential. It works for me. It has grown over the years from my wide reading and reflection.

Philosophically, I'm overwhelmed by the thought that the fact that there is undoubtedly something rather than nothing suggests that Reality has significance and is not simply a tale told by an idiot signifying nothing. That is not an argument, I'm not seeking to convince, just saying that is how I see it.

The third is to enter the realm of "mumbo jumbo" and possible obscurity. I can't help that. Maybe you need a grounding in so called "eastern" thought. Reality is "empty", it is not "truth" itself, not in the sense of being "this" rather than "that". Truth is not a "doctrine" or anything that can be put into words. Reality is freedom itself. In becoming "one" with it, we gain freedom ourselves. In freedom we respond to unfolding events as appropriate.

Obviously, all three "prongs" are inter-related. At least for me.

I continually search for greater clarity of mind and understanding.

That's it.

Thank you for your reply. I do agree with you in that there is something rather than nothing. Even from a purely scientific standpoint, it ultimately makes more sense.

After that, the question for me isn’t so much what that something is, but whether definiing it even matters as much as people seem to want it to. Personally, I think too much thought is put into that, as it takes away our responsibility towards others and that which is more clearly around us. Indeed, a mindset of compassion can do a hundredfold more for us in discovering such truths than any worship or prayer ever could.

Not to mention, it is one thing that all religions seem to advocate. So maybe there is something there.

dookie

Foolish Bombu

New Post! September 22, 2021 @ 07:29:23 am
Yes, I avoided definitions. You can actually observe some sort of "inter-faith" unity concerning this in as much as the "east" speaks of "suchness/emptiness" while the "west" speaks (at least on the mystical level) of the "incomprehensibility of God."

Alas, no sooner acknowledged than many wade in with "what must be believed" to be "saved"!

I agree with you that much religion betrays this world for some imagined "other".

dookie

Foolish Bombu

New Post! September 22, 2021 @ 07:45:20 am
I recognise that some might argue that my "faith" consists of definitions!

Pages: << · 1 2 3
Quote | Reply