Brexit

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: << · 1 2 3 ...59 60 61 62 63 ...73 74 75 · >>
Jennifer1984 On July 20, 2022
Returner and proud

Penzance, United Kingdom
#901New Post! Nov 25, 2020 @ 16:14:51
As for wondering which countries have given up anything to get a deal, Canada signed up to CETA (Comprehensive Economic Trade Agreement) which, incidentally, has not yet been ratified by all EU member states so is not yet in effect.

Be that as it may.

Canada agreed to concessions with the EU including World Intellectual Property Organisation which Canada had not recognised before. Agreements over crime investigation which override Canadian sovereign jurisdiction regarding their own people, and enable the EU to monitor such things as Canadian ISP's as part of criminal investigation in certain circumstances,

The treaty requires Canada to comply with EU's Trademark Law Treaty. It requires Canada to accede to the Hague System for the Recognition of Industrial Designs, requiring Canada to comply with the EU's Patent Law Treaty..... and if I dig deep enough, I reckon I could find more buried away in the fine print.

All of the above would be areas where Canadian sovereign law has been made subject to change as part of the treaty with the EU.

In return, Canada gets favourable trading conditions with half a billion new customers that it didn't have free access to before. Do the Canadians like this deal..? You betcha. Are they cribbing about what they've had to give up to get it..? Nooooooooooooooo

And this sort of thing goes on, I dare say, in EVERY treaty struck up between negotiating nations.

Rather than Britain "only asking to have what everybody else gets", Britain is demanding special treatment to get what they want with no obligation at all.
Returner and proud

Penzance, United Kingdom
#902New Post! Nov 26, 2020 @ 21:58:17
nooneinparticular On March 16, 2023

, Hawaii
#903New Post! Nov 30, 2020 @ 11:39:52
@shadowen Said

Not necessarily. Half truths can often be accepted as "facts" whilst "facts" themselves can conceal as much as they reveal. Making the effort to find "facts" from different sources that you yourself source is but one part of the process in the formulation of your own ideas. Bear in mind too that in any given situation there is often more than one "truth".

You're free to believe whatever you wish, but to me, linking 'facts' and 'truths' like that is a dangerous road to travel.

I think there is a fundamental difference between 'facts' and 'truths'. Facts are data points. Data points are only useful when compared with other data points. 'Facts' do not become 'truths', half or otherwise. 'Truths' only arise when people attempt to understand and interpret 'facts' among a greater narrative then what the original 'fact' encompasses.

Without this dividing line, I feel that anyone runs a much greater risk of confusing 'facts' for 'truths', and hence how people end up in weird and awkward trains of thought where they have to think about things like 'half truths' and 'multiple truths'.
Returner and proud

Penzance, United Kingdom
#904New Post! Dec 01, 2020 @ 06:03:36
@nooneinparticular Said

You're free to believe whatever you wish, but to me, linking 'facts' and 'truths' like that is a dangerous road to travel.

I think there is a fundamental difference between 'facts' and 'truths'. Facts are data points. Data points are only useful when compared with other data points. 'Facts' do not become 'truths', half or otherwise. 'Truths' only arise when people attempt to understand and interpret 'facts' among a greater narrative then what the original 'fact' encompasses.

Without this dividing line, I feel that anyone runs a much greater risk of confusing 'facts' for 'truths', and hence how people end up in weird and awkward trains of thought where they have to think about things like 'half truths' and 'multiple truths'.

Brexit has emulated war from the point of being that truth was the first casualty.

From the very outset, the entire basis of Brexit debate was a confrontation between those prepared to use any tactic, foul or fair, to win their argument (the Brexiter) and those who were prepared to accept the EU's many faults, but argued that the best way to overcome them was to challenge them from within and be a force for change that would improve what was already the best deal available.

Nobody on the Remain side ever said the EU was any sort of Nirvana or Utopia, because we all know it isn't. But at the same time, we pointed out the advantages of being in it factually, honestly and with conviction.

The truthful parts of the Brexiter side of the debate were very quickly swamped by the dishonesty of their emerging campaign, and once they realised that this was the part that was gaining traction with the public, they completely ditched the truth altogether.

Why bother working hard to argue against a reasonable and dedicated opponent, and possibly lose that argument, when lying is a sure fire winner..?

Your well reasoned argument above is a good analysis. But the bottom line is much less cerebral. They made it about winning a referendum. Nothing else mattered..... what was to happen afterwards was put aside as "tomorrow's problem"......... and above all else, the end justified the means.

And that's the bald truth of it.
dookie On December 16, 2023
Foolish Bombu

, United Kingdom
#905New Post! Dec 01, 2020 @ 10:22:21
The Brexit lies.......

HERE
Foolish Bombu

, United Kingdom
#906New Post! Dec 01, 2020 @ 12:02:53
I have to admit to feeling anger at what has come to be over Brexit. Personally I am immune to the financial hit. We own our own house and our pensions are more than enough, allowing us to be the Bank of Mum & Dad to our daughter and family.

Why do I care I ask myself. Why indeed. But I do.

As far as I can determine many voting Leave wanted to kick the Establishment in the teeth, the status quo, feeling "left behind". I have never understood what this had to do with anything the EU had done......except for what was seen as the "immigrant problem".

But looking up the facts, our EU immigrants pay their way, contributing a NET amount to the Exchequer. Therefore lack of adequate housing and the overstretched NHS and Social Care system can be attributed to the acts and decisions of successive UK Governments, acts and decisions in NO WAY determined by any EU directives.

All that is left is prejudice, the dislike of a foreign face or accent. The great unmentionable, hidden and even unacknowledged beneath cries of "sovereignty".

And of course the Establishment has now become a Chumocracy far more outrageous than anything before.

And so the UK heads towards an act of self harm unprecedented in our history. At the helm a chancer and an opportunist, a liar, elected under the slogans of "Get Brexit Done" and "Over Ready Deal". Brexit is NOT done and given the current state of affairs will never be "done" - disputes between the EU and the UK will be continuous. As far as the Oven Ready Deal, Boris Johnson has already trashed it himself.

The 50,000 additional pen pushers are with us (a number admitted in parliament by Michael Gove), the 66 acre Lorry Park has been tarmacked, and the latest Polls tell us that just 38% still support Brexit.

Tragic. Truly tragic. So many opportunities for our young people ( who voted overwelmingly to Remain ) will be closed to them. Many who voted Leave will soon be kicking up daisies, perhaps cremated with their Union Jacks draped around them.

Sickened.
mrmhead On March 27, 2024

NE, Ohio
#907New Post! Dec 01, 2020 @ 15:53:31
@dookie Said

I have to admit to feeling anger at what has come to be over Brexit. Personally I am immune to the financial hit. We own our own house and our pensions are more than enough, allowing us to be the Bank of Mum & Dad to our daughter and family.

Why do I care I ask myself. Why indeed. But I do.

As far as I can determine many voting Leave wanted to kick the Establishment in the teeth, the status quo, feeling "left behind". I have never understood what this had to do with anything the EU had done......except for what was seen as the "immigrant problem".

But looking up the facts, our EU immigrants pay their way, contributing a NET amount to the Exchequer. Therefore lack of adequate housing and the overstretched NHS and Social Care system can be attributed to the acts and decisions of successive UK Governments, acts and decisions in NO WAY determined by any EU directives.

All that is left is prejudice, the dislike of a foreign face or accent. The great unmentionable, hidden and even unacknowledged beneath cries of "sovereignty".

And of course the Establishment has now become a Chumocracy far more outrageous than anything before.

And so the UK heads towards an act of self harm unprecedented in our history. At the helm a chancer and an opportunist, a liar, elected under the slogans of "Get Brexit Done" and "Over Ready Deal". Brexit is NOT done and given the current state of affairs will never be "done" - disputes between the EU and the UK will be continuous. As far as the Oven Ready Deal, Boris Johnson has already trashed it himself.

The 50,000 additional pen pushers are with us (a number admitted in parliament by Michael Gove), the 66 acre Lorry Park has been tarmacked, and the latest Polls tell us that just 38% still support Brexit.

Tragic. Truly tragic. So many opportunities for our young people ( who voted overwelmingly to Remain ) will be closed to them. Many who voted Leave will soon be kicking up daisies, perhaps cremated with their Union Jacks draped around them.

Sickened.

The "Shake the status quo" / "Kick Establishment in the Teeth" is what helped bring about our Great Mistake. But luckily it only lasted 4 years. Yes, there will be echoes and repercussions for a number of years, but luckily we didn't completely cut off our nose to spite our face ... more like just a good punch.
Foolish Bombu

, United Kingdom
#908New Post! Dec 01, 2020 @ 19:58:22
@mrmhead Said

The "Shake the status quo" / "Kick Establishment in the Teeth" is what helped bring about our Great Mistake. But luckily it only lasted 4 years. Yes, there will be echoes and repercussions for a number of years, but luckily we didn't completely cut off our nose to spite our face ... more like just a good punch.

You point to one of the reasons why Referendums, according to the UK Constitution, are "advisory only". Otherwise they become rogue beasts. Otherwise a momentary "take" on public opinion can end up dictating the future for generations..........oooops!

Alas, a Referendum WAS called, was described as the "decision of a lifetime" and our then Tory Leaders pledged to abide by the result.....assuming an easy win for Remain they never even did what is written into so many Referendums in other constitutions i.e. ruling that any fundamental change must have a substantial majority before the result initiates change.

But all that is history. The unexpected Leave win led to Dave "I shall remain to see it through whatever the result" Cameron resigning, and then all the main Leave politicians ran a mile when a new PM was required! Strange!

The pathetic folly and stupidity of our current "leaders" becomes more obvious by the day. Michael Gove, who has rubbished "experts" for years when they have advocated EU membership now quotes them copiously to justify Covid policy, while another, Steve Baker, who has rubbished economic forecasts an equal number of years that have predicted Brexit catastrophe, now uses them to object to Covid policy! At sixes and sevens they stumble on.
Returner and proud

Penzance, United Kingdom
#909New Post! Dec 01, 2020 @ 23:13:10
@dookie Said

You point to one of the reasons why Referendums, according to the UK Constitution, are "advisory only". Otherwise they become rogue beasts. Otherwise a momentary "take" on public opinion can end up dictating the future for generations..........oooops!

Alas, a Referendum WAS called, was described as the "decision of a lifetime" and our then Tory Leaders pledged to abide by the result.....assuming an easy win for Remain they never even did what is written into so many Referendums in other constitutions i.e. ruling that any fundamental change must have a substantial majority before the result initiates change.

But all that is history. The unexpected Leave win led to Dave "I shall remain to see it through whatever the result" Cameron resigning, and then all the main Leave politicians ran a mile when a new PM was required! Strange!

The pathetic folly and stupidity of our current "leaders" becomes more obvious by the day. Michael Gove, who has rubbished "experts" for years when they have advocated EU membership now quotes them copiously to justify Covid policy, while another, Steve Baker, who has rubbished economic forecasts an equal number of years that have predicted Brexit catastrophe, now uses them to object to Covid policy! At sixes and sevens they stumble on.

Your comment regarding the British Constitution is flawed. Britain doesn't have a Constitution.

What we have is a series of Statutes which are mostly based on custom, tradition and precedent. This is a more flexible way of enacting laws and moving with the times, rather than holding rigidly steadfast to ideas and concepts that over time become anachronistic. The second amendment of the US Constitution was no doubt added because, as I understand it, the Founding Fathers believed that if anybody attempted to create a despotism in the newly created nation, an armed people's militia would be able to rise up in the name of the Constitution and restore democracy.

They also lived in a time of muzzle loaded muskets that could possibly manage three rounds a minute in the hands of a very skilled shooter. They sure as heck wouldn't have forseen the high velocity, rapid fire automatic weapons that are being toted by the Proud Boys in defence of the sort of despot the 2nd amendment was meant to protect the country AGAINST..!!

So, what does that mean to Britain..? Well, our series of statutes worked very well as long as politicians were basically honest, honourable men, who believed in our system of government and who would "Play Up And Play The Game".

What we have now is a scoundrel in Downing Street who is not only prepared to break the rules, he is also determined to tear the rules up as soon as he has exploited them in such a way as to give him carte blanche to change the rule book in his favour.

This was how Brexit worked. A compliant and complacent public who trusted the system. How many times have you heard it said "I thought we were too sensible to do anything like this"....... "We're British, we don't behave like some banana republic. It can't happen here"......

But it can. And it is. And it's happening in plain view for all to see. And we still cling to the belief that it's all going to work out right in the end. That Boris is really a good egg and, well, alright, so he's got a few kids 'cos he puts it about, and he's a bit thick and crap at the job, but aren't they all..? He's one of us and he'll do right by the country in the end.

No he isn't, and no he won't.

He wants to remove the power of the Supreme Court to rule on the actions of Government when they break the law*. He also wants to prevent the courts from adjudicating on offences by Ministers against current statutes.

We're in a lot more trouble than just Brexit.

*In 2019 he came within a whisker of being in contempt of court over proroguing Parliament.... when he even lied to the Queen...!! He had to back down on that one or most certainly go to Prison. He didn't like being constrained by the Court and now he wants to take away their power to block him in future.

He is setting about removing the checks and balances that prevent him instituting a dictatorship.
Foolish Bombu

, United Kingdom
#910New Post! Dec 02, 2020 @ 08:10:24
@Jennifer1984 Said

Your comment regarding the British Constitution is flawed. Britain doesn't have a Constitution.

What we have is a series of Statutes which are mostly based on custom, tradition and precedent. This is a more flexible way of enacting laws and moving with the times, rather than holding rigidly steadfast to ideas and concepts that over time become anachronistic. The second amendment of the US Constitution was no doubt added because, as I understand it, the Founding Fathers believed that if anybody attempted to create a despotism in the newly created nation, an armed people's militia would be able to rise up in the name of the Constitution and restore democracy.

They also lived in a time of muzzle loaded muskets that could possibly manage three rounds a minute in the hands of a very skilled shooter. They sure as heck wouldn't have forseen the high velocity, rapid fire automatic weapons that are being toted by the Proud Boys in defence of the sort of despot the 2nd amendment was meant to protect the country AGAINST..!!

So, what does that mean to Britain..? Well, our series of statutes worked very well as long as politicians were basically honest, honourable men, who believed in our system of government and who would "Play Up And Play The Game".

What we have now is a scoundrel in Downing Street who is not only prepared to break the rules, he is also determined to tear the rules up as soon as he has exploited them in such a way as to give him carte blanche to change the rule book in his favour.

This was how Brexit worked. A compliant and complacent public who trusted the system. How many times have you heard it said "I thought we were too sensible to do anything like this"....... "We're British, we don't behave like some banana republic. It can't happen here"......

But it can. And it is. And it's happening in plain view for all to see. And we still cling to the belief that it's all going to work out right in the end. That Boris is really a good egg and, well, alright, so he's got a few kids 'cos he puts it about, and he's a bit thick and crap at the job, but aren't they all..? He's one of us and he'll do right by the country in the end.

No he isn't, and no he won't.

He wants to remove the power of the Supreme Court to rule on the actions of Government when they break the law*. He also wants to prevent the courts from adjudicating on offences by Ministers against current statutes.

We're in a lot more trouble than just Brexit.

*In 2019 he came within a whisker of being in contempt of court over proroguing Parliament.... when he even lied to the Queen...!! He had to back down on that one or most certainly go to Prison. He didn't like being constrained by the Court and now he wants to take away their power to block him in future.

He is setting about removing the checks and balances that prevent him instituting a dictatorship.

Good morning Jenny!

Yes, my tired old mind fluttered as I wrote "Constitution" as I thought back to another Forum about three years ago and the arguments back and forth as to what exactly constituted (!!) the UK Constitution. Unwritten but no doubt there in many ways. Organic would perhaps be a good word. Maybe not.

Anyway, happy to be associated with the flawed . That's how the light gets in, as Leonard Cohen sings and observes so eloquently.

But let me not detract from your excellent post. I genuinely find reassurance that another is so cognizant of what is actually at foot in our country. The deafening silence of most does make me wonder, even makes me angry at times, however misplaced that is.

Yes, its the dissolution/dismantling of the state as per Steve Bannon and the neoliberals, stateless themselves but holding all the money and thus holding all the power. Just how it has always been in a way. The extension of the franchise in so many places has fooled us into thinking we are necessarily extending democracy. Alas, the true power brokers are constantly on the alert to retain their hold.

Thankfully, genuine independence of mind and self-determination are not linked totally to the right to cast a vote every few years.
shadowen On March 22, 2024

Bunyip Bend, Australia
#911New Post! Dec 03, 2020 @ 06:09:26
The EU on fishing...

To the UK:
We shall let you fish in our EEZ but of course we shall determine the quotas and the rules. In return we shall fish in your EEZ and we shall determine the quotas and the rules. Can't be any fairer than that.

Bunyip Bend, Australia
#912New Post! Dec 03, 2020 @ 06:15:05
Rumours are that the EU have offered the UK a 'compromise' over fishing. They are said to have offered the UK btw 15-18% of the EU's catch in the UK's EEZ. Or put another way, they are offering the UK a small part of something that the UK already own. Under international law a coastal state has full control over their EEZ which includes fishing. So fish in the UK's waters already 'belong' to the UK. The EU however take the view that fish in the UK's waters somehow belong to them. Anyway, offering the UK something the EU don't own but the UK do is the EU's idea of a compromise. Good stuff.

Bunyip Bend, Australia
#913New Post! Dec 03, 2020 @ 06:19:19
For years environmental groups have made it known that the EU's CFP is failing to adequately protect the marine environment. The EU have had decades to get this right and yet things seem to be getting worse rather than better. For the sake of the marine environment I hope the UK don't bend over for the EU and instead do as they say and take back control of their waters. I then hope they do a much better job than they did last time around, and a much better job than the EU have done. If they don't it will be clear who is at fault.

Bunyip Bend, Australia
#914New Post! Dec 03, 2020 @ 06:20:51
Personally i still think the UK will cave in at the last moment and there will be a deal. BJ has a record of not backing up words with action.

Bunyip Bend, Australia
#915New Post! Dec 03, 2020 @ 06:39:31
Meanwhile, of the 27 member states few outside of the 'fishing eight' give a fat rats clacker about EU fishing rights in the UK's EEZ. Of the 'fishing eight' it is really only France, The Netherlands, Belgium and Spain who are particularly bullish about it. For Macron it's easy to see why. His popularity is at a record low with the latest polls showing that he and Marine Le Pen would be neck and neck in the first round of the presidential election. Add to that a steady stream of terrorist attacks and ongoing riots over unrelated matters and it is clear he needs a big win. As previously stated, the fishing industry in France is but a small part of their economy but French fishermen are well organised and historically militant. Macron cannot afford to get them off side. Plus standing up to 'England' and being seen to have a big win would go down well domestically. Meanwhile Merkel is said to be urging Macron to give ground in order to help protect the German car industry. While all of this is going on the EU's budget and pandemic recovery package seems no closer to passing.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: << · 1 2 3 ...59 60 61 62 63 ...73 74 75 · >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Politics Forum - Some Rudeness Allowed

Subscribe to topic prefs